Sign in to follow this  
OILERMAN

More coal plants shut down in Trump’s first two years than in Obama’s entire first term

13 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

https://thinkprogress.org/more-coal-plants-shut-down-in-trumps-first-two-years-than-in-obamas-entire-first-term-e6b72f354330/

• The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) reports that while 15 gigawatts of coal-fired plants were shut down in Obama’s first four years, Trump’s first two years have seen some 20 gigawatts retired (with more than two thirds of those occurring last year).
  •  
  • As a result, U.S. coal use dropped 4 percent in 2018 to a level not seen since 1979, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).

I dont think people realize how much natural gas has been found in the US. We'll be world leaders there whenever we can access it. And the demolishing of coal plants has been happening for a while now because the plants themselves were obsolete. It has nothing to do with politics. Alot of our coal goes to China and Australia. 

11 hours ago, Justafan said:

The point is, Trump didn't save the coal industry.  He never could.  Only the morons ate it up like those jobs were going to come back.  

Im actually back in the coal business. He really has impacted southwest Va and Kentucky. There's also grant money to rehabilitate old  and current mine sites to clean them up and put in parks, ziplines, campgrounds, horseback riding, and atv trails and Im working in part of that rehabilition process. My family has property that still has an open mine portal so we hope to get some of that grant money to put a campground in with ziplines sometime in the future, theres already atv trails.

Alot of the new mining operations taken place now were mined before the 1980s before alot of laws that protected the eco system and environment were put in place. So even though there's more mining in my area since Trump has been elected they are correcting alot of mistakes that were made before the 1980s. The water will be clean and spoil dumped in better areas etc. 

10 hours ago, Starkiller said:

So where are all these new coal jobs then?

Southwest Va, KY and West Virginia. 

Edited by headhunter

That's great things are improving for your family. But is the resurgence more from mining or from converting old mines to recreational areas? your post mentions both 

6 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

Republicans love to act like it’s 1941. 

Hrm that would explain a lot - some must still think Hitler is going to win and want to get in cosy with him before it's too late.

13 hours ago, Soxcat said:

I gave facts and figures.  Coal production is up.  Go back to playing with blocks and your little sister.

No, you didnt.

1 hour ago, WG53 said:

No, you didnt.

That's the new phrase to attempt and bypass the shame of posting a link to a fraud or otherwise comically amateur news site. "Learn to google". Ben does it a lot too.

How about, learn to post a link to what you're claiming.

11 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

That's great things are improving for your family. But is the resurgence more from mining or from converting old mines to recreational areas? your post mentions both 

Well if anything since Trump has been in office its been easier to get permits to mine. But the grant money is not going towards coal businesses. Its going to the towns because the land will be donated to them. 

I should have mentioned the mine sites turning into parks are close to towns so all the minining in the mountains are not obviously getting grant money to put in tourism. So the grant money has really little impact of the resurgence of

coal mining. 

Mines after the laws of reclaiming from the 1980s were all turned into farm land for cattle. 

Edited by headhunter

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/14/tva-trump-coal-plants-1170008

A federally owned utility dealt another blow to President Donald Trump's effort to revive the coal industry, voting on Thursday to close two coal-fired power plants despite the president's urging to keep one of them running.

The vote by the board of the Tennessee Valley Authority to close the Paradise #3 plant in Kentucky and Bull Run plant in Tennessee makes them the latest casualties to the coal industry that has seen hundreds of power generators retires in recent years because of competition from cheaper power sources, including natural gas and renewable energy.

So far, 47 coal-fired power plants have announced their retirements or closed since Trump took office, according to the Sierra Club, and more are expected in coming years.

Even if coal production does increase, it's also become like the steel industry, due to automation they can produce more with less workers. A lot of that mining land that they are attempting to reclaim, including vast parts of The Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky, have toxic ground water; not sure they're places I'd want to camp at and I do a lot of it.