Sign in to follow this  
8MM

Clemson vs. Alabama Poll/Prediction

Who wins?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

2. 2. Who has better stats? Tua or Trevor?

Rolltide   

It's a matter of attrition. Bama has lost 30 players(9 first rd, 8 2nd rd) players in the last 3 drafts and they are replacing coordinators almost every year. It is bound to catch up to you. 

They had to replace 6 DBs and one starting CB(Trevon Diggs) was lost to injury 2/3 through the season. 

If Bama cannot recruit a high quality kicker there is something wrong. 

Rolltide   

A note about Saivion Smith. I'm not a conspiracy guy or one who yells fix just because my favorite team lost. Saivion Smith however played like he was paid to throw the game. I'm not kidding. He alone, one CB made a 13-17 point difference in that game. Rare that one player who is not a QB could have such a negative impact on one game. 

1. A 66 yard completion on a 2nd and 22 play. Got torched.

2. Interference call on an 8 yard route in which the receiver had no room to catch the ball and the throw was uncatchable. 

3. Stopped running with a WR on a crossing route about 30% of the way as if he did not know what coverage it was.. Result was a 20+ yard play.  

4. Fell on his ass injured giving up an 80 yard TD. 

Smith was a starting CB up until the Ole miss game. He gave up a long TD pass on the very first play of the game. He was then instantly benched in favor of Surtain Jr. He became a starter a gain when Trevon Diggs went down. 

Edited by Rolltide

On 1/10/2019 at 1:26 PM, Rolltide said:

I'm not a conspiracy guy or one who yells fix just because my favorite team lost. Saivion Smith however played like he was paid to throw the game. I'm not kidding. He alone, one CB made a 13-17 point difference in that game. Rare that one player who is not a QB could have such a negative impact on one game. 

No, that's exactly what you're doing.... a CB getting his ass handed to him isn't fishy

On 1/10/2019 at 2:19 PM, Rolltide said:

It's a matter of attrition. Bama has lost 30 players(9 first rd, 8 2nd rd) players in the last 3 drafts and they are replacing coordinators almost every year. It is bound to catch up to you. 

I agree to an extent but yall have been top dog for about a decade. Those issues are not new to Saban. 

If you said something like, we lost so many upper classmen and staters from last year, I'm not surprised we lost to Clemson, ok. 

They had to replace 6 DBs and one starting CB(Trevon Diggs) was lost to injury 2/3 through the season. 

A better argument but at the same time, yall still finished 16th in the nation in total defense and breezed through a conference 90% of fans feel is the toughest. 

At the end of the day, Clemson has been somewhat of a powerhouse the past 4 years themselves. So I'm sure they are dealing with a lot of similar issues. 

They also lost their best DL for the Championship. 

Only argument that I think is valid is the revolving door of assistant coaches. Clemson has not had to deal with that as much as Bama. But I'm sure it's about to start happening soon. Or at least should.

Idk how Brent Venables doesnt have dozens of HC offers. Unless he has had them but instead continues to stay loyal to Dabo. 

Edited by JakePA_Titan

Rolltide   
On 1/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, wiscotitansfan said:

No, that's exactly what you're doing.... a CB getting his ass handed to him isn't fishy

It was how he got beat. Not the fact he got beat. 

Rolltide   

Clemson only signed 12 4 and 5 star recruits. Bama signed 24. Bama is obviously losing less in this draft. Clemson loses the best group of D-linemen ever and that includes Oklahoma back when they had the Selmon brothers. 

I'm taking nothing from Clemson they were the best team but Bama in 100 games would not get held to just 16 points.