Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Number9

Mariota is a Thinker

Recommended Posts

On 1/3/2019 at 3:35 PM, JoelinBellevue said:

And this exactly what I said about his twitch factor. No quick trigger mentality. Methodical. No see it, hit it mindset. With all his other problems. This just adds to the list. Why are we paying him $20m?

I didn't realize that "we" were.  What's our portion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reo   
15 hours ago, Soxcat said:

I watched the winning OT drive against Philly recently.  In that drive we had the bad drop by Jennings.  Perfect throw but again, a throw that was scripted.  Same essentially with the 4th and long out pattern to Taylor (think about the pass to Decker in the KC game for a TD).  Mariota drops and fires.  Even then he can still struggle with simple throws like his slant play to Davis (earlier, not the stupid one near the goaline) which should have been an easy completion.  But let the defense cover the first guy real well.....  now Mariota is lost.  Now it is freak show time.  Like against the Jags when he has a wide open Sharpe but because he is running he can't help himself from overthrowing the pass for an int.  In reality it is the simple adjustments.  Same drive against Philly Mariota throws to a spot in the endzone and they call holding on the defender.  Smith was held but the throw was scripted.  In other words there was no "adjustment" it was like throwing the ball against air.  If the receiver missteps or anything the play is over because Mariota is throwing to a spot on the field.  Sharpe on that drive is open for an easy TD (blown coverage) and Mariota misses him because Sharpe was half a step behind where he should have been.  When Mariota knows where he is going with the ball and there are no modifications there is a good chance he can make the throw (remember the 4th down throw to Lewis).  If he has to adjust his footwork, arm angle or trajectory ....  not good.  If he has to progress to another WR he can't make the quick read and let it fly. 

Wtf is this "throw was scripted" tag line now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
15 minutes ago, reo said:

Wtf is this "throw was scripted" tag line now?

During the week before games, teams practice certain plays to run during the game.  Lot's of teams start the game with a script of plays.  Fisher used to do this with a tremendous amount of success.  Then the Titans have some deep routes they have practiced to run during the game.  The receiver runs a specific route and the play is designed to get him open.  They practice throwing to a certain spot on that route.  If you watch, the Titans run that deep route to Taylor.  It looks almost the same each time.  What @Soxcat is pointing out is if Taylor is just a little bit off the predetermined catch spot, Mariota will miss him.

 

It's not a tag line, it's what is happening in Titans games.  The lack of accuracy even on these scripted plays is a big reason Mariota isn't attacking the back end of defenses.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reo   
30 minutes ago, Number9 said:

During the week before games, teams practice certain plays to run during the game.  Lot's of teams start the game with a script of plays.  Fisher used to do this with a tremendous amount of success.  Then the Titans have some deep routes they have practiced to run during the game.  The receiver runs a specific route and the play is designed to get him open.  They practice throwing to a certain spot on that route.  If you watch, the Titans run that deep route to Taylor.  It looks almost the same each time.  What @Soxcat is pointing out is if Taylor is just a little bit off the predetermined catch spot, Mariota will miss him.

 

It's not a tag line, it's what is happening in Titans games.  The lack of accuracy even on these scripted plays is a big reason Mariota isn't attacking the back end of defenses.  

They start the game with scripted plays. They don't continue to run them throughout the game and I think you're misunderstanding the term scripted. It means the have a specific order of plays to call almost regardless of what the defense does. It's to see the defense's reaction and to set things up later.

 

The 2 or 4 minute drives aren't scripted plays. They're either calls from the sideline or more likely 1 of a couple play choices MM makes at the line. When you see guys go in motion like the Titans do a lot (and did on that drive) its bc MM is using it to read the defense and make adjustments at the line. Then when MM goes quickly to his first target, it's not bc its somehow scripted. Its bc his presnap reads dictated that his target would be open at the snap. 

 

On the throw to Davis that was low,  I'm pretty sure he was initially looking at the quick out bc he thought it was 1 coverage but changed mid step to go to Davis which screwed up his feet and forced the low throw.

 

And yes, it's a timing throw to Taylor based off presnap and post snap reads. He made the correct read and hit his WR with a great throw. Same with the throw deep down the middle to Jennings that was dropped. This isnt a bad thing. These are very good timing throws that NFL QBs make.

Edited by reo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
2 minutes ago, reo said:

They start the game with scripted plays. They don't continue to run them throughout the game and I think you're misunderstanding the term scripted. It means the have a specific order of plays to call almost regardless of what the defense does. It's to see the defense's reaction and to set things up later.

 

The 2 or 4 minute drives aren't scripted plays. They're either calls from the sideline or more likely 1 of a couple play choices MM makes at the line. When you see guys go in motion like the Titans do a lot (and did on that drive) its bc MM is using it to read the defense and make adjustments at the line. Then when MM goes quickly to his first target, it's not bc its somehow scripted. Its bc his presnap reads dictated that his target would be open at the snap. 

 

On the snap to Davis that was low,  I'm pretty sure he was initially looking at the quick out bc he thought it was 1 coverage but changed mid step to go to Davis which screwed up his feet and forced the low throw.

You didn't read what I said.  I said to start games some teams use a script, as in first series of the game.  You are talking about 2 or 4 minute drives.  Maybe someone else can answer you question better.  

59 minutes ago, reo said:

Wtf is this "throw was scripted" tag line now?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reo   
23 minutes ago, Number9 said:

You didn't read what I said.  I said to start games some teams use a script, as in first series of the game.  You are talking about 2 or 4 minute drives.  Maybe someone else can answer you question better.  

 

He was referring to scripted plays in the final drive vs the Eagles thus the assumption that you were as well. I had assumed you were caught up on the conversation and talking about the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scripted throws?  In a Shanahan/Lafleur timing-based passing attack?

You mean like, when he gets to the top of his drop if the 1st receiver in the progression has a step on the defender Marcus releases to the target zone?

That kind of scripted? 

 

 

No Shit Sherlock!

 

That's how it's supposed to work.  And if you don't like it, start hoping the Packers take MLF away from N'ville. 

Those plays will be called throughout the game based on defensive alignments, personnel and tendencies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
1 hour ago, TitanDuckFan said:

That's how it's supposed to work.  And if you don't like it, start hoping the Packers take MLF away from N'ville. 

Those plays will be called throughout the game based on defensive alignments, personnel and tendencies.

Whatever you say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Scripted throws?  In a Shanahan/Lafleur timing-based passing attack?

You mean like, when he gets to the top of his drop if the 1st receiver in the progression has a step on the defender Marcus releases to the target zone?

That kind of scripted? 

 

 

No Shit Sherlock!

 

That's how it's supposed to work.  And if you don't like it, start hoping the Packers take MLF away from N'ville. 

Those plays will be called throughout the game based on defensive alignments, personnel and tendencies.

 

Walsh was doing this in the 80s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...