Number9

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This post is a Stinker©.

It is funny watching @Number9 going full soxcat. 

Appears to be an actor in the role of Mett.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2018&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Mariota's on the list that matters the most, for QBs.  

#22 Winston  

#23 Donald

#24 Bortles

#25 Dalton

#26 Mariota*<<<<  

#27 Flacco

#28  Fitzpatrick

*please note that Mariota is way down here only because he doesn't use all his great ball talents in games, but he's think'n® about using them when his hand stops hurting.

Huh... so you’re telling me guys that throw less passes compile less yards? Welll hooolllllyyyy shit man. Crazy! 

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

Huh... so you’re telling me guys that throw less passes compile less yards? Welll hooolllllyyyy shit man. Crazy! 

No, I am saying is if you're good, you'll produce with the top producers.  You can't brag about throwing less passes like it's special.  It's a hollow achievement.  It's like when Mariota set some kinda completion percentage against Houston.  Mariota gets in the record books.  The Titans get a LOSS.  TEXANS 34   TITANS 17  The game wasn't even close.  I would rather win.  When he needed to throw all these great deep balls you guys claim he can throw, he was happy to throw short passes.  The Texans double our score, but next day here come some STATS that say he's among the elite QBs.  

6 hours ago, Soxcat said:

I watched the winning OT drive against Philly recently.  In that drive we had the bad drop by Jennings.  Perfect throw but again, a throw that was scripted.  Same essentially with the 4th and long out pattern to Taylor (think about the pass to Decker in the KC game for a TD).  Mariota drops and fires.  Even then he can still struggle with simple throws like his slant play to Davis (earlier, not the stupid one near the goaline) which should have been an easy completion.  But let the defense cover the first guy real well.....  now Mariota is lost.  Now it is freak show time.  Like against the Jags when he has a wide open Sharpe but because he is running he can't help himself from overthrowing the pass for an int.  In reality it is the simple adjustments.  Same drive against Philly Mariota throws to a spot in the endzone and they call holding on the defender.  Smith was held but the throw was scripted.  In other words there was no "adjustment" it was like throwing the ball against air.  If the receiver missteps or anything the play is over because Mariota is throwing to a spot on the field.  Sharpe on that drive is open for an easy TD (blown coverage) and Mariota misses him because Sharpe was half a step behind where he should have been.  When Mariota knows where he is going with the ball and there are no modifications there is a good chance he can make the throw (remember the 4th down throw to Lewis).  If he has to adjust his footwork, arm angle or trajectory ....  not good.  If he has to progress to another WR he can't make the quick read and let it fly. 

I have been thinking I was the only one who was seeing this.  The long balls he's hit often look like the same exact play from another game.  If they go deep a second time, I have seen them run the same play again.  Preseason, the reports out of camp were Mariota missed ________ on a deep ball, several times they reported this.  Then game one, he threw that wobbler that kept the TE from scoring an easy TD.

13 minutes ago, Number9 said:

No, I am saying is if you're good, you'll produce with the top producers.  You can't brag about throwing less passes like it's special.  It's a hollow achievement.  It's like when Mariota set some kinda completion percentage against Houston.  Mariota gets in the record books.  The Titans get a LOSS.  TEXANS 34   TITANS 17  The game wasn't even close.  I would rather win.  When he needed to throw all these great deep balls you guys claim he can throw, he was happy to throw short passes.  The Texans double our score, but next day here come some STATS that say he's among the elite QBs.  

LOL  No it it wasn't close.

The Texans ran for 281 yards.  Even without the 97yd TD they still had 184yds on the ground, 70 yds from their QB.

WTF, did Marcus miss a bunch of tackles on defense too?

They did to this defense what Henry did to the Jags on his big night.

3 hours ago, Tex in a Can said:

We just have to go up to that big old QB upgrade shelf, the one where we put Cassel back up and took Gabbert down from, and upgrade from Mariota. Wait, you mean the QB merchandise quality up there is like Cassell and Gabbert? I thought they had top 10, proven QBs sitting on that shelf just ready to go! Won't they slide one up there like "on special" now and then and opposing teams won't notice? Possible but highly improbable.

Draft and upgrade in FA our positions of need this year, D-line, WR, interior O-line to name a few.

Tex, we may be like the Texans of a few years ago.  They had very good teams, but the QB position was holding them back.  Now they have Watson.  If the Titans decided Mariota wasn't going to get this team pass 8-8, 9-7 and no way in hell 12-4, they could decide to move on.

Mariota has proven he can be a mediocre QB and with talent around him he can get the team to 9-7.  When you reach the playoffs, it takes a different level of play.  He won that playoff game.  That was back when I was praising his play, but don't think I didn't mention it when he just threw another WTF pass in the first half.  He was scrambling around near the goal line and threw a wild pass that bounced off a KC player which he caught.  He ran in and scored.  We won.

@Patriots he threw a TD to start the game and couldn't even make a game out of it.  He completed a lot of passes that lead nowhere.  Same place we are going if we keep him back there.  He isn't going to come back next year and have it all figured out.  I hope he does and I'll be rooting for him every game he hits the field in a Titans uniform.  I'm not going to play stupid in the meantime.  

40 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

LOL  No it it wasn't close.

The Texans ran for 281 yards.  Even without the 97yd TD they still had 184yds on the ground, 70 yds from their QB.

WTF, did Marcus miss a bunch of tackles on defense too?

They did to this defense what Henry did to the Jags on his big night.

1 Like

Huston reacted to this**

SMH

27 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Tex, we may be like the Texans of a few years ago.  They had very good teams, but the QB position was holding them back.  Now they have Watson.  If the Titans decided Mariota wasn't going to get this team pass 8-8, 9-7 and no way in hell 12-4, they could decide to move on.

Mariota has proven he can be a mediocre QB and with talent around him he can get the team to 9-7.  When you reach the playoffs, it takes a different level of play.  He won that playoff game.  That was back when I was praising his play, but don't think I didn't mention it when he just threw another WTF pass in the first half.  He was scrambling around near the goal line and threw a wild pass that bounced off a KC player which he caught.  He ran in and scored.  We won.

@Patriots he threw a TD to start the game and couldn't even make a game out of it.  He completed a lot of passes that lead nowhere.  Same place we are going if we keep him back there.  He isn't going to come back next year and have it all figured out.  I hope he does and I'll be rooting for him every game he hits the field in a Titans uniform.  I'm not going to play stupid in the meantime.  

I agree with you, but you know how hard it is to upgrade the QB, the draft is a crap shoot and we are not picking high. The odds of upgrading Mariota  for next year are almost infinitesimally small, we can take a flyer on a 3rd round QB and see what happens. In FA, we would be lucky to upgrade Gabbert let alone Mariota. I would hope we don't trade up a ton of draft picks to pick a QB, we have a lot of other needs.

10 minutes ago, Tex in a Can said:

I agree with you, but you know how hard it is to upgrade the QB, the draft is a crap shoot and we are not picking high. The odds of upgrading Mariota  for next year are almost infinitesimally small, we can take a flyer on a 3rd round QB and see what happens. In FA, we would be lucky to upgrade Gabbert let alone Mariota. I would hope we don't trade up a ton of draft picks to pick a QB, we have a lot of other needs.

I think I would be ready to leave the team if they traded a bunch of picks this year for a QB.  I don't have a great solution right now.  My purpose in this thread is to shed some light on what we are dealing with at QB.  Why is Mariota hesitant to throw deep any time when he sees a one on one with Davis and let him beat CB's with his height, strength, leaping ability and them big hands?  Why are Titans receivers not getting yac?  

2019 Titans will have 10+ win talent with the right QB.  I said 11 wins this year.  The hard thing is having our two biggest games @Indy and Indy, QB leaves one and didn't start the second.  You just can't have that.  Even the Patriots w/TB would be pissed if their two biggest games against a division rival they lost because TB couldn't play.  Next season, he's going to be competing for his job.  What we got ain't even close to Tom Brady.

15 hours ago, Soxcat said:

I watched the winning OT drive against Philly recently.  In that drive we had the bad drop by Jennings.  Perfect throw but again, a throw that was scripted.  Same essentially with the 4th and long out pattern to Taylor (think about the pass to Decker in the KC game for a TD).  Mariota drops and fires.  Even then he can still struggle with simple throws like his slant play to Davis (earlier, not the stupid one near the goaline) which should have been an easy completion.  But let the defense cover the first guy real well.....  now Mariota is lost.  Now it is freak show time.  Like against the Jags when he has a wide open Sharpe but because he is running he can't help himself from overthrowing the pass for an int.  In reality it is the simple adjustments.  Same drive against Philly Mariota throws to a spot in the endzone and they call holding on the defender.  Smith was held but the throw was scripted.  In other words there was no "adjustment" it was like throwing the ball against air.  If the receiver missteps or anything the play is over because Mariota is throwing to a spot on the field.  Sharpe on that drive is open for an easy TD (blown coverage) and Mariota misses him because Sharpe was half a step behind where he should have been.  When Mariota knows where he is going with the ball and there are no modifications there is a good chance he can make the throw (remember the 4th down throw to Lewis).  If he has to adjust his footwork, arm angle or trajectory ....  not good.  If he has to progress to another WR he can't make the quick read and let it fly. 

Wtf is this "throw was scripted" tag line now?

15 minutes ago, reo said:

Wtf is this "throw was scripted" tag line now?

During the week before games, teams practice certain plays to run during the game.  Lot's of teams start the game with a script of plays.  Fisher used to do this with a tremendous amount of success.  Then the Titans have some deep routes they have practiced to run during the game.  The receiver runs a specific route and the play is designed to get him open.  They practice throwing to a certain spot on that route.  If you watch, the Titans run that deep route to Taylor.  It looks almost the same each time.  What @Soxcat is pointing out is if Taylor is just a little bit off the predetermined catch spot, Mariota will miss him.

It's not a tag line, it's what is happening in Titans games.  The lack of accuracy even on these scripted plays is a big reason Mariota isn't attacking the back end of defenses.