Mariota is a Thinker

Number9

People have questions about Mariota.  I am going to explain some things that you haven't heard, but will soon see posters saying like they thought it up on their own in about 7-9 months.

Why Mariota doesn't just throw the ball up downfield and let Davis make a play or some other receiver.    First, you have to think why would that even be a question for a 4th season NFL QB.  That is how NFL football is played.  Any 4th year would use a big receiver like Davis to go up and get balls.

It's because Mariota is a Thinker®.  When he sees a receiver NFL open downfield, he has to take time to think about the throw.  How far?  Where will the receiver be when the ball gets there?  By the time Mariota thinks it through, that play is gone.  It's a natural gift NFL QBs have, they can see a play, see where it's going, while winding up throwing the ball and just throw it.  Mariota's a thinker®.  He has to think it out before winding up.  This is why many of his ball look like he's trying to guide it.

This is also why his yac numbers are so low.  He sees a target 15 yards downfield.  He has to try to think how he will throw the ball and where the defense is located.  Then when he throws it, the defense is there to make the tackle. No yac.   A NFL QB just throws the ball, all that clicks in his mind without him trying to think about.  They have done it enough, their mental and muscle memory takes over.  They just throw.  Mariota has to aim it.  He's a thinker®. 

I have copyrighted Thinker®  Thanker®  Thanked' up®  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This post is a Stinker©.

It is funny watching @Number9 going full soxcat. 

Appears to be an actor in the role of Mett.

Posted Images

Not so sure that's the kind of offense we are building.. IMO we are trying to have the qb make pre-snap reads and distribute the ball based on that.. it does require him to put the ball in the correct spot and for the receiver to be there..

5 minutes ago, big2033 said:

The coaches said this early in the season. Let it fly, don't over think. So don't pat yourself on the back too hard lol.

I have to.  No-one ever says anything about it, but it obvious.  He's gifted in certain ways, but a quick mind ain't one of them.

You notice the first response.  I am nearly used to it.  Rah Rah is received better than truth.  

Just now, Number9 said:

I have to.  No-one ever says anything about it, but it obvious.  He's gifted in certain ways, but a quick mind ain't one of them.

You notice the first response.  I am nearly used to it.  Rah Rah is received better than truth.  

I've been saying he only passes to guys he sees open ... literally a few pages ago. You're not saying anything new.

His quick release lets him get away with it. But it's catching up.

This is part of why you hope we keep the same system next year and that he gets comfortable in it and it helps him regain confidence.

He's now in a good system, with much better talent around him and stable offensive coaching (knock on wood). Now it's up to him to settle in to the offense and stay healthy to prove he can be relied on.

56 minutes ago, big2033 said:

I've been saying he only passes to guys he sees open ... literally a few pages ago. You're not saying anything new.

His quick release lets him get away with it. But it's catching up.

43 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

This is part of why you hope we keep the same system next year and that he gets comfortable in it and it helps him regain confidence.

He's now in a good system, with much better talent around him and stable offensive coaching (knock on wood). Now it's up to him to settle in to the offense and stay healthy to prove he can be relied on.

You big are saying the what. The why is he’s a slow processor. He can’t vision the the play, as in leading his receivers in the right running direction. 

I’m not sure about him being in the same system will help as much as many people think. He’s still going to have the problem of trying to think the ball instead of just throwing it. 

4 minutes ago, 8MM said:

wrOBCpd.gif?noredirect

You are finally getting it.  If the player is wide open, he launches his deep ball out there.  But is there are defenders in his view, he strikes the pose you posted above.  Play goes bad, he's sacked or he takes off.  

@Number9there's no question Mariota is too methodical at times.  Words matter & methodical is a good description. Supporters may say he's "safe" with the ball, detractors may say he's a pussy LOL.

Its an issue that he has to improve,  no question. I also don't think it's that much of an issue, it's far from any kind of fatal flaw like poor accuracy, hearing footsteps in the pocket, zero feel for the rush, etc. Those are the things that ruin careers. Being overly conservative is something you work on, but isn't the worst thing in the world. MCNair was beyond conservative early on. At times it seemed like all he did was check down to Ed, hit Wycheck for 6, or run.