OILERMAN   

How did you get run this time?

I had about 16k, blinds were 400-800 with a 100 ante... folds to the small blinds, he makes it like 2500 to go, I go all in from the big blind with 44. He calls with AQ, A on the river. The blinds were going to 500-1000 in one minute too.

OILERMAN   

I liked your other shoves a lot better. How was your stack in relation to the rest of your table?

Average stack in the tournament was close to 30k, I was one of the short stacks at my table. Shoving a pair there is pretty standard in a blind on blind situation. He happened to have a hand he could call with and won the flip. Another deciding factor is the fact the blinds are about to hit 1k.

abenjami   

It's not a bad call or anything. Just seems like you had enough time left to wait for a better hand. That's what I love about no limit though.

OILERMAN   

It's not a bad call or anything. Just seems like you had enough time left to wait for a better hand. That's what I love about no limit though.

You mean not a bad shove(I was all in first).

I don't like getting called with 44 there for sure. But honestly you could make a case with my stack size against a small blind raise I could shove any two cards

abenjami   

Yeah that's what I meant, it wasn't a bad shove.

But why shove there when you are the big blind and heads up with only one guy who didn't make it too expensive to see the flop before you decide if those 4's are worth shoving on?

I don't mean to question you in a negative way, I just want to understand your thinking there. How many others folded?

OILERMAN   

Everyone else folded, it was just me in the big blind against the small blind.

There is 4300 in the pot after he raises, the best case is I win the 4300 after I shove and he folds, win 4300 without any risk. The next best scenario is he calls and has a hand like AQ and I win a flip. The chances of being against another pair blind vs blind are very small. The thing you cannot do here is just call the raise and see a flop. It's too much of your stack to "set mine" and try and hit a 4.

Plus with my stack the small blind is going to be raising me most of the time. I have to either fold or shove, it's a very easy place for him to steal. He was not happy when he saw I had a pair. It was going to cost him 75% of his stack if he lost the flop. He just happened to have a calling hand in that spot and happened to get lucky and pair up.

The most important thing in a tourney is maintaining "fold equity", meaning you have enough chips to make people fold if you shove on them. Once you get so low that people will call your all in you're in a very bad spot. I didn't just have 44, I also had fold equity. It would have cost him 70% of his chips or so had he lost that pot so he had to have a real hand to call.

OILERMAN   

1-29-12

130.00 buy in

0 won

11th

2-9-12

70.00 buy in 45 people

12th

0 won

2-18-12

170.00 buy in 149 people

40s

0 won

2-20-12

110.00 but in 40 people

eliminated 20th

0 won

OILERMAN   

Standard shove with 10s, with 9k left with 400-800 blinds, guy calls with JJ. I flopped a flush draw but bricked

abenjami   

That sucks. Obviously that was going to happen right after you proclaimed the chances of being against another pair blind vs blind are very small.

abenjami   

I played in a little 5 man game last weekend.

$100 buy in. Winner take all.

I went out 3rd. $0 won.

I had about my original $100 stack left and the other two guys were pretty even at around $200 a piece.

I was the BB. The first guy folded. The second guy shoves on me. I had A-9 suited and called.

He flips over an A-8 off suit so I'm feeling pretty good. The flop was 3 different suits and he catches an 8 on the turn. My 9 never showed up on the river.

abenjami   

You should come down to choctaw or Winstar and meet me at one of their big tournaments

I would except i'm in California. But if i'm ever in Texas I will let you know for sure...