Being A Titans Fan In Your Opinion How Do You View Their First 20 Seasons Overall???

MIKE75

Being A Titans Fan In Your Opinion How Do You View Their First 20 Seasons Overall???  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Being A Titans Fan In Your Opinion How Do You Grade Their First 20 Seasons Overall???

• A
    • A-
    • B
    • B-
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • D-
    • F

Being a Titans fan in your honest opinion how do you view their first 20 seasons overall???

The Titans had 10 winning seasons,7 postseason berths,6 playoff wins,3 division titles,2 AFC Championship game appearances,1 Super Bowl appearance.

They also had 2 NFL rookies of the year in 1999(Jevon Kearse) and 2006(Vince Young), 1 NFL MVP in 2003(Steve McNair) as well as a 2000 yard rusher and most all purpose yards gained in one season 2,509 yards by Chris Johnson in 2009 that still stands.

They also have 3 straight winning seasons and won a playoff game last year.

Their worst period during the first 20 years was 2012 thru 2015 which was 4 straight losing seasons due to GM Ruston Webster/QB Jake Locker the worst GM/QB tandem of the 4 we've had. In fact Reese/McNair, Reinfeldt/Young and Robinson/Mariota all had winning seasons as well as making the playoffs.

Floyd Reese/Steve McNair---Reese drafted McNair and was with him his entire tenure with the Titans. Record from '99 thru '06 was 72-55

Mike Reinfeldt/Vince Young--Reinfeldt became GM not long after VY was drafted and was with the Titans until VY left. Record from '07 thru '11 was 46-34

Ruston Webster/Jake Locker--Webster was there through Locker's tenure and stayed on a year after the QB quit. Record from '12 thru '15 was 18-46

Jon Robinson/Marcus Mariota--Robinson became GM a year after Mariota was drafted similar to when Reinfeldt doing so a year after VY was. Record so far from '16 thru '18 is 27-20

Only Webster/Locker failed to have winning season/playoff berth out of the 4 GM/QB tandems the Titans have had.

Titans also won 164 games in their first 20 seasons which is good for 13th out of 32 teams in wins overall over the past 20 years and were just a few wins from making the top 10 in total wins over their first 20 years.

Total wins over the past 20 seasons (1999-2018)

1- New England- 233 wins

2- Pittsburgh- 203 wins

3- Indianapolis- 203 wins

4- Green Bay- 192 wins

5- Philadelphia- 186 wins

6- Baltimore- 184 wins

7- Denver- 181 wins

8- Seattle- 180 wins

9- New Orleans- 173 wins

10- Dallas- 168 wins

11- Minnesota 165 wins

12- L.A. Chargers 165 wins

**13- Tennessee- 164 wins**

14- Kansas City 163 wins

15- Atlanta 162 wins

16. N.Y. Giants 161 wins

17. Carolina 160 wins

18. Chicago 155 wins

19. Miami 153 wins

20. N.Y. Jets 149 wins

21. L.A. Rams 148 wins

22. Cincy 147 wins

23. Tampa Bay 142 wins

24. San Francisco 139 wins

25. Washington 139 wns

26. Arizona 138 wins

27. Buffalo 138 wins

28. Jacksonville 135 wins

29. Oakland 126 wins

30. Houston 121 wins

31. Detroit 119 wins

32. Cleveland 95 wins

We did pretty good in my opinion. One thing i'm glad we didn't do is spend the bulk of that 20 seasons losing a lot like the teams below. I thought our 4 year losing stretch seemed like forever BUT i can't imagine or fathom going through losing 11,13 or even 15 years straight or only having 2 winning seasons/1 playoff berth in 20 years YIKES.

Buffalo-Last 19 years have just 3 winning seasons and 1 playoff game.

Raiders-Have just 1 winning year/playoff berth in past 16 years.

Browns-No playoffs in the last 17 NFL seasons and have just 2 winning seasons.

Jaguars-1 winning year/playoff berth in the past 11 years

Jets-No playoffs in 8 years and have just one winning season.

Bucs-- Over the past 11 years the Bucs have not made the playoffs.

Dolphins-- From 2002 thru 2018 over the past 17 years Miami has made the playoffs only twice

Lions-- From 2000 thru 2018 last 19 years the Lions have made postseason only 3 times and no playoff wins.

We also had some really excited players to watch as well as some really good games......

C38Y1gAVUAAwVUn.thumb.jpg.e9fb4e46b0f4a3c8e2e47faecabd9870.jpg

My top 20 games of the past 20 seasons

1--Jan. 23-2000: Titans @ Jaguars I'll never forget the sweet,blissful feeling of knowing your team just made Super Bowl. A feeling some NFL teams fans have never been able to experience. Then the next week seeing us play the Super Bowl. AWESOME

2--Jan. 8-2000 Bills @ Titans Music City Miracle game. Still a bit stunned each time i see the TD,expressions on players faces,fan reaction. I thought wow what a great first year for us. Watched it live and was literally speechless. Great play.

3--Jan. 6-2018 Titans @ Chiefs At half we were losing 21-3. Mariota led the biggest come from behind playoff road win in NFL history as the Titans made a comeback stunning KC winning by one point 22-21.

4--Sept. 13-2015 Titans @ Bucs Never before have i seen rookie QB dominate a debut game like Mariota did. Ever since i've thought anything was possible with him. Mariota will take us all the way. I truly believe that 100% he is like no other QB.

5-TIE--Dec, 1,2002: Titans @ Giants The Titans were losing by double digits 26-14 in the middle of the 4th quarter when McNair led a long TD drive then another to tie it, Then in OT Tennessee and McNair hit the game winning FG to win 32-29.

5-TIE--Nov. 26-2006: Giants @ Titans, Titans were losing 21-0 headed into the final qtr. then Vince Young was the hero bringing TN back scoring 21 4th qtr points first tying it then setting up the winning FG 24-21.

6--Sept. 24-2000: Titans @ Steelers A bruised sternum kept McNair out,O'Donnell backup played until getting hurt himself bloodied in 4th qtr. McNair came in & saved the day throwing a TD winning 23-20,no matter how hurt he never quit.

7--Jan. 11-2003: Steelers @ Titans A crazy playoff game as momentum swung wildly in final 2 quarters. The game went into OT tied 31-31 and Titans attempted a FG and Steelers ran into our kicker on a retry he made it 34-31 Titans win.

8--Sept. 12-1999: Bengals @ Titans ,Titans first NFL game ever,they build a big 20 pt lead,lose it,now behind 9 pts in 4th qtr, so literally came down to a FG with a few seconds left as the Titans narrowly escaped winning by 1 pt 36-35.

9--Dec. 31-2017:Jaguars @ Titans Its 3rd & 5, 2 minutes left and Titans QB Marcus Mariota puts the team on his back making a key block running the ball for a 1st down and securing the Titans first trip to the postseason in years winning 15-10.

10--Sept. 21-2007: Titans @ Texans..Titans were up 32-7 in the 3rd quarter then all of a sudden we're about to blow a big lead then its 36-35 Texans with a minute left. Rob Bironas saved us & set a new NFL record with his 8th FG,We win 38-36.

11--Dec. 3-2006:Colts @ Titans, Rob Bironas kicked a 60 yard FG as time expired to beat Indy 20-17.

12--Dec. 10-2006:Titans @ Texans ,QB Vince Young runs 40 yards in OT to win 26-20.......

13--Dec. 25-2000:Cowboys @ Titans. The Titans in their second season as a team made an impressive showing on Monday Night Football shutting out Dallas 31-0 whose QB Anthony Wright was 5 of 20 for 35 yards passing.

14--Jan. 3,2004: Titans @ Ravens Well this one was a very close back and forth game and Titans won this playoff game on a last sec FG 20-17.

15--Jan. 16,2000: Titans @ Colts Almost the entire game was both teams trading FG for leads but a 68 yard run by Eddie George won this playoff game for TN 19-16.

16--Nov. 29,2009: Cardinals @ Titans ,QB Vince Young led his offense on a 99 yard drive that ended with a TD throw to WR Kenny Britt and a Titans win 20-17 as time expired.

17--Nov. 11,2018: Patriots @ Titans, Titans never trailed in this game whatsoever. Titans defense harrassed QB Tom Brady all day sacking him numerous times. Tennessee won 34-10. Titans also won 24-7 on MNF in 2002 year after Pats won Super Bowl.

18--Dec. 18,2016: Titans @ Chiefs, The weather was very cold at only 1 degree and the Chiefs had the lead the entire game except for the last second on the clock as Titans kicker Ryan Succop drilled a 53 yard FG to win the game 19-17 for Tennessee.

19--Sept. 23,2012: Lions @ Titans, This game was like a roller coaster. So with a little over a minute left Titans take another double digit lead 41-27 but Lions scores 14 points within a minute tying it 41-41. The Titans win it in OT 44-41.

20--Sept. 18,2016: Titans @ Lions, The Titans never had the lead in this game whatsoever. In fact it wasn't until a little over 1 minute was left that Mariota was facing a 4th down and threw a 9 yard TD to WR Andre Johnson to win the game 16-15.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Again with the 20 year overall record???  Please stop. I dont give a crap about the past. Look toward the future.

first 20 seasons my ass. i’ve been tortured by this franchise since 1975.

Very entertaining over the years. Campbell dominating, Moon and the run and shoot, Buddy and the 46 defense and even McNair tacked on to the end    Before my time they had some great offense

Posted Images

I know you post these types of threads a lot but I think it's fun to look back at the top moments and things that have happened in the past with this franchise.  It's better than the constant whining about Mariota or whomever the whipping boy of the week is.

6 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I know you post these types of threads a lot but I think it's fun to look back at the top moments and things that have happened in the past with this franchise.  It's better than the constant whining about Mariota or whomever the whipping boy of the week is.

I honestly think if we could find a good QB that doesnt get hurt a lot this team can get to a title. It doesnt have to be a great QB just a good one that can stay healthy. I like Mariota a lot but i fear he is gonna keep getting hurt. I dont think we need to pay him big money. Next season will be a big test.

6 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Again with the 20 year overall record??? 

Please stop. I dont give a crap about the past. Look toward the future.

Hey Touched, what is it about tards and repetition? If you tell yourself something enough, you start to believe it huh?

I live out of market, so my experience is different. The team has been respectable in the eyes of many only for a small window in the early 2000s. Ever since they’ve been bottom of the league or mediocre. Most of the time the offense has been boring as hell, too. C minus. 

20 hours ago, oldschool said:

I hate these fucking "first 20 years..." thread that Mike post every week. Get a fucking job.

About the job i have one. Now onto why i do these threads so much....

The main reason i do these type of threads is to remind all the bitchy fuckers who complain and whine all the time about how we are one of the worst teams ever,we are snakebit and always have bad luck that yes we do actually have a competitive franchise and i would say that with the exception of the terrible Webster/Locker years that most seasons we were competitive.  

I put the years below where we had a .500 or losing season BUT could've either been 9-7 or better or in most instances made the postseason only 2004,2005 and 2012,2014 and 2015 were truly lost seasons. 15 of our 20 seasons we could've had winning seasons or and playoffs. 2004,2005 and 2012,2014 and 2015 only uncompetitive seasons. Webster was largely responsible for 2012,2014 and 2015.

What we did do was have 10 winning seasons(average of 1 winning season out of every 2 seasons),7 postseason berths(average of 1 postseason out of every 3 seasons). We have had 3 straight winning seasons and won a playoff game last season. Out of 4 GM's our first 20 seasons only 1 failed Webster the rest had winning seasons and made the postseason.

Below are years where we went .500 or less BUT were competitive enough and barring mistakes would've had winning season or playoffs.

2001- Our last two games vs Cleveland and Cincy we held leads in both of those games but lost one by 2 points and the other by 3 points could've been 9-7.   Finished 7-9

2006--All we had to do was win that last game and we were in the playoffs. A gazillion scenarios had to happen and they did we just dropped the ball.  Finished 8-8

2009--We should've been 9-7 but in the postseason since we held the tiebreaker over the Jets. But early in the season we lost to the Jets only because sorry ass Ryan Mouton dropped two returnable balls to give the Jets two easy TDs because of good field position and we lost that game.  Finished 8-8

2010- Started out 5-2 before the VY/Fisher bullshit. They lost 3 games all by 3 points or less and the team could've been 9-7. Finished 6-10

2011--We should've had Bironas kick a long FG but Hass tried to throw long and we lost an early season game 16-14 to Jax and that cost us later.  Finished 9-7

2013--Similar to 2009. Mistakes cost us two games. One was an OT game we lost to Houston where Locker missed a wide open Britt. Other was a Colts game 29-27 dropped fumble by Wylie. Finshed 7-9

2018--Nick Williams catches the ball at Buffalo we win 10 and in. Finished 9-7

But thats not all these people that complain all the time about the Titans imagine them being fans of these teams....LMAO 

They wouldn't last long rooting for Buffalo who went 17 years without making the playoffs and only had 2 winning seasons. Or the Raiders who since 2003 have had just 1 winning year/playoffs over the last 16 long years. How about Cleveland no playoffs in the last 17 NFL seasons and have just 2 winning seasons. Jaguars over the past 11 years just 1 winning year/playoffs. Dolphins 2002 thru 2018 over the past 17 years made the playoffs only twice. Bucs over the past 11 years have not made the playoffs. Jets no playoffs in 8 years and have just one winning season. Lions 2000 thru 2018 last 19 years have made postseason only 3 times and no playoff wins.

Sure we had 4 straight losing years from 2012 thru 2015 but that isnt shit compared to the decade plus 10 years or longer of losing most of the teams above have done.

Over the Titans first 20 seasons they won 164 games and were only 4 games short of cracking the top 10 in wins its first 20 seasons as Dallas was 10th with 168 wins. Thats pretty good over 20 years if a team is near top 10 in wins.

Me i try to look at the bright side of things. We have 3 straight winning seasons and just won a playoff game last year. JRob has slowly built a competitive roster over his 3 years as GM and in my opinion the main issue will be figuring out long term whether to keep Mariota. I like him a lot but we do not need to give him too much guaranteed money or sign him long term. Next year will tell a lot.

Edited by MIKE75