Eddie George Helped Henry Improve

tgo

3 minutes ago, nine said:

I've been one of Henry's more vocal proponents for the past several weeks....but I never argued that Henry was running fine before the bye.   The running game sucked regardless of which guy was on the field;   that was the one thing EVERYONE agreed on.

Henry clearly started running better after the bye.   Over the next few games, he was demonstrably more effective than Lewis in virtually every metric imaginable.....yet the coaching staff still kept him sidelined in favor of Lewis.   

This was even true during the Jags game.   Not only was Lewis the starter that day....after a couple 10+ yard gains and the huge 99-yard TD run on his first six carries,   Henry played only one snap on the Titans' next two drives combined, and didn't get another carry in the first half.  It wasn't until halftime that the coaches realized, "Gee....this guy is gaining 10+ yards on half of his carries.  Maybe we should give him more touches."   

Henry's been running better for several weeks now.....but nobody noticed or acknowledged it because the O-line was still garbage.   The minute the OL stepped up their performance and started creating running lanes and sustaining blocks, Henry absolutely exploded.

Here's the TL:DR version:

• weeks 1-8:   O-line sucks / Henry sucks
  • weeks 9-13:  O-line sucks  /  Henry good
  • weeks  14-15:  O-line very good / Henry god-like

You do realize that right around that time lots of people were calling for Henry to get more carries weeks before the Jags game?

Unless you're just indicting the coaching staff and not really making a claim about other posters here? If so, my bad

Edited by wiscotitansfan

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great read.    “I said to him: You now have to run as if your career depends on it, because it does,” George told Henry. “The rumors of them trying to trade you, that says that they are look

Because he never played for the Patriots. 

God dammit just let me have my joke, tgo! 

9 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

You do realize that right around that time lots of people were calling for Henry to get more carries weeks before the Jags game?

Unless you're just indicting the coaching staff and not really making a claim about other posters here? If so, my bad

*Some* people were calling for Henry to get more carries.

Other people (including the coaching staff) still preferred Lewis' dual-threat versatility, even though he had been utterly ineffective for several weeks.

13 hours ago, woolfolksunclesuncle said:

As soon as Derrick Henry heard that Eddie George has been on Broadway singing showtunes, I'm sure that he's been begging the team to hire Eddie as rb coach.

11 hours ago, newschool said:

"The two players have spent time together at various events, and when George has stopped by practices. Henry has visited George's house in Nashville on numerous occasions."

Just sayin'.

Confirmed. 

That's bullshit, and you know it. We all have to write down all of our recent partners before every session. Can't be spreading diseases during the season; antibiotics will screw up your game!

You've seen the lists. You think Jalen is lying to us??

• 3 weeks later...

Go watch even his Kansas City game and compare it to the Jaguars game this year. It's night and day with his movement and effort versus leg tackles mostly. 

He's trying to hurt people now. I underestimated him lacking the killer instinct mentality. 

23 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Go watch even his Kansas City game and compare it to the Jaguars game this year. It's night and day with his movement and effort versus leg tackles mostly. 

He's trying to hurt people now. I underestimated him lacking the killer instinct mentality. 

I think he also may have dropped some weight during the season. His cuts were a lot more fluid at the end of the season. And like you said he was absolutely punishing defenders inside and out by the end of the year. Reminded me a bit of Eric Dickerson tapes I’ve watched, honestly even some Bo Jackson. 

I would sign him immediately. He proved his worth. Give him a team friendly deal, and if he won’t take it then tell him he may end up franchise tagged. Let him make the choice.

The guy is our bell cow for at least the next two years and he has a lot of tread left after not being used much the past two years. Give him a four year contract at a discount and see if he signs. He may not, but it sets us up for a Bell type situation except he doesn’t hold out knowing we offered him a contract already. At least that’s how I would play it. 

Henry definitely showed his potential and worth. He needs to be a priority and our new OC needs to absolutely punish defenses with him. I wouldn't be upset if they replaced Lewis either. He absolutely disappeared towards the end of the season even though his carries were diminished.

2 hours ago, Rolltide said:

I don't think Eddie had anything to do with it. Getting fewer carries and having your team trying to trade you should be motivation enough. 

All backs should run angry like the opposition gang raped your sister or something. That goes without saying. 

Last season Henry was criticized for bouncing it outside too much. The first half the of the year he did little of that. That is a major part of his game. His ability to get on the edge and turn it up helps open up lanes inside later. 

George definitely had a lot to do with waking Henry up. Just accept that an Ohio State guy was needed to motivate your Bama stud.