Thoughts on The Game - Mariota's Best

code

3 minutes ago, nine said:

Marcus obviously wasn't sharp...but he came up with a couple critical plays and didn't make any big mistakes.   His mistakes really boiled down to 3-4 throws that missed the mark.   Those are throws he needs to make...but given the miserable weather conditions, it's hard to be overly critical of his performance.    

... and his fucked up hand that he can’t grip with...so I doubt the rain helped. 

Still completed 61% got several 3rd downs converted with his feet and arm... and avoided the rush very well to extend plays. 

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mariota looked like shit out there

Yes you are, you watched the game.    He was skiddish and indecisive in the pocket, he threw a couple of terrible passes over Davis's head that had nothing to do with the weather, he threw u

Posted Images

Thought the Titans played exactly the way an upper echelon team on the road  should play against a mediocre team; no they're by no means elite, but they tried to establish the run and get the lead and did; they then concentrated on taking away the other teams main weapon and succeeded. After that it was an exercise in playing conservative and waiting for the opponent to err.

2 hours ago, Face said:

Mariota certaintly wasn't good yesterday, I'm not defending his play & happen to completely disagree with @codeon this particular point, though I agree with most of what he posts & wish he'd post more. But I live in NJ & can tell you it was fucking brutal weather yesterday. Brutal. It was very cold but just warm enough where we got rain instead of snow, and it was coming down non stop, ferociously. The wind was crazy. It's impossible to fairly judge a QB in yesterday's weather. 

Yesterday was about avoiding mistakes, doing the basics, and playing physically. We went out on the road, albeit against a pretty bad team but one that was winning, and physically mauled them. Our running game & defense was dominant.

Its a shame we lost some early close ones & it took so long for the OL to get going, because this team is starting to look awfully good.

Its clear Oman and others couldn't tell how bad the weather was when the cameras were on the field. You could see it when they switched to stadium shots. 

3 hours ago, Face said:

Mariota certaintly wasn't good yesterday, I'm not defending his play & happen to completely disagree with @codeon this particular point, though I agree with most of what he posts & wish he'd post more. But I live in NJ & can tell you it was fucking brutal weather yesterday. Brutal. It was very cold but just warm enough where we got rain instead of snow, and it was coming down non stop, ferociously. The wind was crazy. It's impossible to fairly judge a QB in yesterday's weather. 

Yesterday was about avoiding mistakes, doing the basics, and playing physically. We went out on the road, albeit against a pretty bad team but one that was winning, and physically mauled them. Our running game & defense was dominant.

Its a shame we lost some early close ones & it took so long for the OL to get going, because this team is starting to look awfully good.

I talked about how bad the conditions were in the game thread.  I mentioned it was probably ice mixed rain, making it extra slick.  I used to live near the stadium.  Last night l said the running game and the defense deserved the credit, plus the OL.    It's just goes bananas around here when you try to explain to people Mariota was not the got'damn hero.

1 hour ago, scine09 said:

No one thought that Mariota was a hero.

Let's put it this way.  He was not the problem or the solution.  He was along for the ride.  Something that he has been seldom in his time with the Titans in wins.

Exactly, I have no idea what he is talking about with that.

12 hours ago, TitansFan_42 said:

Yeah, there's a disconnect with some of this team's fans and reality. According to this message board, Mariota is the only damn QB to ever make an errant throw or a mistake. I'd think the average completion percentage of a competent NFL QB was 99% and Mariota is sitting at a measly 69.1%. (That's only good to be the 7th best in the NFL this season.)

But that's only throwing a lot of short passes, right? Well guess what, he has a greater average intended air yards average than Drew Brees and I know some of y'all on here are on your knees for his game. Wipe your chins.

Do you not remember that not too long ago, this team had Jake Locker, Zach Mettenberger, hell, Rusty F-ing Smith leading this team's offense? Talk about recency bias. Be glad for what you have. Mariota may not be the best QB to ever play the game, but he's our quarterback and it could be a lot damn worse!

All this, while learning yet another system with new coaches and playing some of the toughest defenses in the league. Mularkey couldn't do better playing the majority of games against backup QBs. SMDH...

How far he intended to throw the ball?  Does this mean that if a QB throws the ball 40 yards down the field, he gets credit for trying even though the ball wasn't caught?  I have heard of YPC and YPA.  I haven't seen IAY.

I want to know if this is some of Mr Wiffle's research?

6 hours ago, oldschool said:

Its clear Oman and others couldn't tell how bad the weather was when the cameras were on the field. You could see it when they switched to stadium shots. 

In the 2nd half the shots were all blurry in the middle of the screen. So you couldn't see the OL clearly on my feed.

17 hours ago, Titans_Win_Again said:

Mariota did not look good by any measure. Best that can be said is he didn't turn it over. 

If this team is going to do anything it'll be on the back of Henry and Lafluer's scheming. 

Yeah...how did he do versus the Patriots and Eagles? 

28 minutes ago, WG53 said:

In the 2nd half the shots were all blurry in the middle of the screen. So you couldn't see the OL clearly on my feed.

Yep I had the same issue, they couldn't even keep the cameras dry.

10 hours ago, nine said:

His mistakes really boiled down to 3-4 throws that missed the mark.

So, given the conditions, what should Mariota's completion percentage have been?

He was 12 of 20 or 60% with one perfect ball dropped and I remember one throw away, although I feel like there was at least one more. So adjusted, that's 12 of 18 which is 66.7% (12of17=70.6%).

You said he missed 3-4 throws, so you expected him to complete 15 or 16 out of 18 passes. That's an 83.3% or 88.9% completion percentage, (88.2% or 94.1% adj w/ 2 throw-a-ways), with yesterday's conditions..

Manning's completion percentage was 47.3%.

But I agree with you all and @OILERMAN. It is Mariota's performance, NOT your expectations that are the problem...

Edited by TitansFan_42