Anyone else's 401K taking a hit due to our bumbling dipshit President and his jerk off tariff wars?

'Nator

1 minute ago, patsplat said:

You're def better off without the house.

Not sure about that, considering Maui real estate market.

But if a positive side, for both of us, I spent years waiting and watching the market here, looked at a hundred plus homes in person, looked at MLS pretty much every day for years.  Got ours in great neighborhood as a repo/foreclosure on a bankruptcy/divorce (sadly from people we knew).  That was 2012 and rate at 3.25% or so.  So really a loss to leave that mortgage.

But, despite the fact I let the value of the home go probably 100,000-200,00 below what I think it could have gotten this summer (not now, market slowed, not dropped, but slowed), she still has to use that basis in equity in full, not as a post-sales frictional cost price (which would be 7%+, or probably over 6 figures), so it's a bit like cashing out of equity gained with no cost and no tax hit (not sure would be one anyway, but..).

Still, best for her to have that as a no-brainer asset. And for me to keep the TD account and such.  Maybe use some of my current cash out to "invest" in an lightly used M4 or something.  I mean, when if not now can't you do a little midlife crisis/post-D crazy right?  (already did my 911, might need back seats for 3 now, and an M4 can actually do that)  MASSIVE, stupid, waste of money, but as this Lithuanian flight attendant friend of mine in Carmel by the Sea recently told me (when I asked her how she could afford to rent there, a block from the beach): "Well, I can't afford NOT to be happy!"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Individual 1:   Trade wars are easy to win.   I'll eliminate the deficit in 8 years.   Tax cut #1:  You'll get a $4000 raise.   We'll introduce a middle class t

I haven't lost a dime! LOL

My shit has lost thousands since September.     

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

I’m trying to decide if I want to open up some new accounts. America’s economy is strong enough to overcome one man’s stupidity, right?

Mr Buffet always says yes to that.

As a guppy investor in a sea of sharks, and basically 99% plus of all individuals are (ironically their investments help create the sharks in form of mutual funds and such), your one and only real advantage is time.  That is the patience to just let time pass without having to do anything. No quarterly reports to file for investors, performance reviews vs market ave.  

I could say dont necessarily rush out today and jump in the pool (or go more towards the deep end in your case)  but over a long enough time frame, probably doesn't matter. 

12 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I'm good with big downturns and acquiring more shares at a lower price but Trump is still an idiot who doesn't know shit about the market or trade

Trump has already proven himself to be a bumbling fool. But will he be big enough of a fool to burn it all down around him? At this point its bad enough that the Republicans are starting to mobilize against the idiot. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/16/investing/stocks-week-ahead-fed-trump/index.html

This is why presidents shouldn't mess with the Fed

New York (CNN Business)1. Fed in the hot seat: President Donald Trump may have boxed Federal Reserve chief Jerome Powell into a corner that neither of them want to be in.

Wall Street widely expects the Fed to raise interest rates on Wednesday. But Trump told Reuterslast week that another rate hike would be "foolish." He said on Fox News: "Hopefully the Fed won't be raising interest rates anymore."

Yet Trump's repeated attacks on the Fed mean the central bank may not be able to pause now -- even if it wanted to. Forgoing a rate hike, one that was already baked into the market, would rattle nervous investors and prompt talk that the Fed is caving to White House pressure.

"It would shock markets if they didn't hike and it would show political capitulation," said David Kotok, co-founder and chief investment officer at investment firm Cumberland Associates. "Trump's attacks on the central bank are of no help to anybody."

2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/16/investing/stocks-week-ahead-fed-trump/index.html

This is why presidents shouldn't mess with the Fed

New York (CNN Business)1. Fed in the hot seat: President Donald Trump may have boxed Federal Reserve chief Jerome Powell into a corner that neither of them want to be in.

Wall Street widely expects the Fed to raise interest rates on Wednesday. But Trump told Reuterslast week that another rate hike would be "foolish." He said on Fox News: "Hopefully the Fed won't be raising interest rates anymore."

Yet Trump's repeated attacks on the Fed mean the central bank may not be able to pause now -- even if it wanted to. Forgoing a rate hike, one that was already baked into the market, would rattle nervous investors and prompt talk that the Fed is caving to White House pressure.

"It would shock markets if they didn't hike and it would show political capitulation," said David Kotok, co-founder and chief investment officer at investment firm Cumberland Associates. "Trump's attacks on the central bank are of no help to anybody."

It's amazing. You know he has a ton of people around him that have tried to get him to STFU. He won't do it. He's on the far left of the Dunning Krueger scale. He's literally so fucking stupid he thinks he's a genius. 

13 minutes ago, Downtown said:

Trump has already proven himself to be a bumbling fool. But will he be big enough of a fool to burn it all down around him? At this point its bad enough that the Republicans are starting to mobilize against the idiot. 

How does he get out of this tariff war with China and save face?  I think that's the key.  This tit-for-tat retaliation is a recipe for disaster, imo

Probably some kind of weak deal and then declare a massive victory.  But crunch time is coming.

7 minutes ago, ctm said:

How does he get out of this tariff war with China and save face?  I think that's the key.  This tit-for-tat retaliation is a recipe for disaster, imo

Probably some kind of weak deal and then declare a massive victory.  But crunch time is coming.

He's given China massive bargaining power 

Don't blame companies.  They did everything they could with the tax cuts to increase shareholder wealth -- as is their job in an efficient market, imo.

Corporate America celebrated the first full year under the new tax law by rolling out a record-setting $1 trillion of stock buybacks. US companies, led by Lowe's (LOW) and AbbVie (ABBV), rewarded shareholders by unveiling $34.4 billion in buybacks last week, according to TrimTabs Investment Research. That lifted repurchase announcements above $1 trillion for the first time ever, TrimTabs said, exceeding the prior record of $781 billion set in 2015.

The buyback boom has been fueled by strong economic growth and the corporate tax overhaulthat was signed into law a year ago. "It's no coincidence," said David Santschi, TrimTabs' director of liquidity research. "A lot of the buybacks are because of the tax law. Companies have more cash to pump up the stock price."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/17/investing/stock-buybacks-trillion-dollars/index.html

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, OILERMAN said:

He's given China massive bargaining power 

China played him. He started this trade war, they responded and then patiently waited. At this point, they will delay or "slow walk" any negotiations. Eventually, he will negotiate on China's terms, call it a win and the village idiots will say #winning.