OILERMAN

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My analysis?:   

Here is the problem I don't think fans grasp about the RB position and it's something I've been saying ever since Henry has been on the roster.    Fans overvalue running stats and undervalue

Completely agree.   However, I'm convinced Henry's limitations in the passing game are greatly overstated.  IMO, the criticism is based more in groupthink than meaningful analysis.  

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

That absolutely happened. Read the comments made on this board after the games that people are now admitting were good after the bye. Very little discussion of Henry's good plays took place. Almost every comment was in some way critical of him. Since he's been here some people have chosen to fixate on his perceived limitations and have written off his positives as irrelevant. 

That's far from hyper focusing, its simply criticizing and having a conversation.... It's how conversations on the internet work, no one bothers just circle jerking themselves like you and Sox do how great he is

Being critical of the dude and then you and Sox getting whiney and defensive isn't people being over the top like you are claiming

Just now, wiscotitansfan said:

That's far from hyper focusing, its simply criticizing and having a conversation.... It's how conversations on the internet work, no one bothers just circle jerking themselves like you and Sox do how great he is

Being critical of the dude and then you and Sox getting whiney and defensive isn't people being over the top like you are claiming

Being critical is fine. But what do you call it when the focus is solely on the negatives despite there being positives that can also be discussed? It's the same with Mariota. In a balanced discussion one could talk about both the positives and negatives that he brings to the table in each game but instead some people choose to focus solely on the negatives.I also find it interesting that when people go after Henry it's always just good clean, criticizing but when people defend Henry it's "getting whiney and defensive". We're not allowed to see things differently and express on here? People have been doing victory laps about Henry sucking all season now that he's had a couple of good games and the other side chirps a bit, y'all can't handle it? We're discussing football. It's not some life or death situation.

20 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Being critical is fine. But what do you call it when the focus is solely on the negatives despite there being positives that can also be discussed? It's the same with Mariota. In a balanced discussion one could talk about both the positives and negatives that he brings to the table in each game but instead some people choose to focus solely on the negatives.I also find it interesting that when people go after Henry it's always just good clean, criticizing but when people defend Henry it's "getting whiney and defensive". We're not allowed to see things differently and express on here? People have been doing victory laps about Henry sucking all season now that he's had a couple of good games and the other side chirps a bit, y'all can't handle it? We're discussing football. It's not some life or death situation.

Being reactionary to other people's criticisms absolutely is whiney and defensive... I believe I said you were circle jerking when only talking about his positives

Of course we all can point out and agree that the talent and effort lies in the middle, sitting on one side of the fence in conversation isn't hyper focusing though... It's just projecting your point of view.

Not every conversation with differing views has to include "while I understand your logic of XXXXX, I obviously want to point out YYYYYY".... Most human conversations on any topic in the history of humans consists of people stating what they believe and usually specifically (lots of times only) emphasizing their differing points of view

Edited by wiscotitansfan

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

Yeah, start name-calling. That'll make you look reasonable. Have disagreements like an adult. This comment is beneath you. 

You've been on Henry's jock since day one so forgive me if I dont put much stock in your opinion. The fact you refuse to acknowledge hes running better now is mind blowing.

4 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

It's easy and very convenient to say "this is a whole new Henry". You can already see the new narrative taking shape. "We weren't wrong about DERRICK HENRY because earlier in the year we were criticizing derrick henry". See, the first few games it was derrick henry out there and we hated him but now we've got DERRICK HENRY who runs nothing like the shitty derrick henry who were were right to say was a bum and would likely never be good. DERRICK HENRY is great because he does all the things that I want him to do and none of the stuff that, that pussy derrick henry used to do. Therefore, I'm not wrong and to even suggest that I've been wrong about anything so far is ridiculous". 

Never mind that there are mountains of contradictory evidence or that if the OL reverts we're likely to see a drop-off in Henry's production. This is what we're going with. To hear them tell it, every RB in the league struggling behind a bad OL can just  "watch tape" and be "more decisive" and just watch the monster games start rolling in.

I don’t know how you can type this much and be blind.  Do you have a Braille keyboard?  Henry is running differently today than he was at the beginning of the year.

2 minutes ago, oldschool said:

You've been on Henry's jock since day one so forgive me if I dont put much stock in your opinion. The fact you refuse to acknowledge hes running better now is mind blowing.

It truly is mind-blowing... People are finally complimenting the shit outta him and he's still trying to argue against it!

2 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Henry didn't get better,  the coaches did.

Honestly Mythos and even Sox are probably facepalming that you are so adamantly posting that, this entire site knows how little you understand about the sport that you're hurting their credibility

Edited by wiscotitansfan

2 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

So the solution is to attack him early in the backfield...yeah similar to what we did to Barkley? Good call. 

Or Chris Johnson's later years. Most RBs won't get started when they are contacted head-on in the backfield. It happened at least once to Henry in this game right after several punishing runs by him. I seem to recall it happening to Earl Campbell as well.

3 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

He had called his own play trash twice before that happened. Why wouldn't that have riled him up? 

Something about getting benched for an UDFA might have flipped a switch for the Heisman winner...

10 minutes ago, tgo said:

I find this whole debate kind of ridiculous. 

The OL is obviously blocking a lot better. 

But Henry is running more decisively and learning to play within the new zone blocking scheme. We said it would take time for everyone to master this system. 

It's not either or.

The offensive players are finally mastering the system, which is a huge contrast to the schemes these players have played in previously. 

Henry still has limitations in the passing game for sure but he needs to be featured going forward - period. He needs to improve his weaknesses mentally and learn to be a great pass blocker and screen back. He needs to be consistent over the long haul. But in order to do this, he needs to be given the rock. 

The problem is some folks are saying that Henry is/was a scrub and he suddenly found some inner motivation now these past few games like we live in a B movie from the 80's. It's laughable. The same who compliment

his patience as a runner now complained he got hit in the backfield too often before. 

This is the same dominant, talented, physical freak we've seen since Bama. The only difference running these past two games is he's running more confidently, and the confidence comes from the improved OL play. Like QBs, RBs play different with a good vs shaky OL. Anybody run a football before? Having faith a hole is going to be there when you are running toward an area makes a huge difference, like a QB knowing his blind side is protected.

The fact that a guy with so much talent that it pops off the screen gets called a bum and a scrub all throughout this thread is a joke, especially when every year he's put up good numbers with limited reps in situations where the defense typically knows he's getting the ball with an underperforming OL.

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

You don't have to put stock in my opinions. I'm not forcing you or anyone to read my opinions. If my posts about Henry enrage you so much that you feel the need to make personal insults then feel free to use the ignore feature. Feel and think what you want but it's pretty clear to me that this isn't a conversation you and I can have.