Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ChesterCopperpot1

“I don’t think they’re gonna run the ball (well) with either running back”

Recommended Posts

As others have noted, we have always run well against them. Even Mariota. Certainly didn't expect that kind of performance. It's getting late in the year though, and teams seem to be able to tell if they are going to play well. Even we quit in in a few games. Hopefully that's all sorted out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

The All-22 will show the best run blocking we've seen in years. Give Henry reasonable running room and he will make you pay dearly. Nothing mystical or complicated about it. The real questions are how they improved the blocking so much in one week and can they keep this up?

Blocking has been the main problem all year. Too inconsistent for both the running game and passing. Fixing the O line this offseason  will be huge going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   
7 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

Quote from @OILERMAN on the latest podcast before the Jags game. I don’t post this to call him out; I post this to show how weird football can be, especially at this level. Before the game I would have agreed with him — I didn’t think we were going to be successful running with a back. Then Henry goes out and has the best game of any RB in Titans/Oilers history. Football is weird. 

Uh yea, I don't really think predicting the Titans wouldn't be able to run the vs the Jags defense was too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   
2 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

The All-22 will show the best run blocking we've seen in years. 

The OL was totally blowing the Jags DL yards off the ball and also collapsing outside containment 

 

The Titans also played a lot of heavy sets and a ton of 21 personnel and just ran right at them too.

 

I'd guess after the Colts game and then the short week the Jags weren't too interested because there is no way in hell the Titans OL should have dominated that defensive front like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TitanTez   

The difference was the coaching staff didn't  play Henry like an after thought or a compliment to the passing game. 

They called plays to his strength and once they seen his early success,  they featured him. 

No doubt the middle interior of the online played better with the heavy run adjustment to the playcalling. 

The OC learned the strength of his personnel against the Jags,  I don't  believe it was the game plan. 

Now the Titans have an identity,  which changes everything. 

They are dangerous NOW. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
earlers   
2 hours ago, Former_Fan said:

Blocking has been the main problem all year. Too inconsistent for both the running game and passing. Fixing the O line this offseason  will be huge going forward.

After all, they gave up 11 sacks in one game and the tried to blame a quarter of them on Mariota. Sounds familiar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, earlers said:

After all, they gave up 11 sacks in one game and the tried to blame a quarter of them on Mariota. Sounds familiar?

According to nfl.com, since 1964, only 20 teams have given up 11 sacks. 

 

I would imagine if it's all due to a damn good pass rush vs a bad OL, it w ou uld have happened a lot more. 

 

Meaning, it has to be more than just bad OL play. 

 

And a quarter of them would be three at most. I don't think it's that far off base to think Mariota could have shared responsibility on three. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
15 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

Quote from @OILERMAN on the latest podcast before the Jags game. I don’t post this to call him out; I post this to show how weird football can be, especially at this level. Before the game I would have agreed with him — I didn’t think we were going to be successful running with a back. Then Henry goes out and has the best game of any RB in Titans/Oilers history. Football is weird. 

People who are willing to take a stand before the event happens deserve some credit.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  Now @OILERMAN didn't step that far out on a limb with his statement because he had 12 games worth of evidence to base his deduction on.  The odds were very high in favor of him being right.  Had he said before the game he expected Henry to run for over 200 yards and get multiple TDs, the TR Podcast rating would be through the roof.

Edited by Number9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Number9 said:

People who are willing to take a stand before the event happens deserve some credit.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  Now @OILERMAN didn't step that far out on a limb with his statement because he had 12 games worth of evidence to base his deduction on.  The odds were very high in favor of him being right.  Had he said before the game he expected Henry to run for over 200 yards and get multiple TDs, the TR Podcast rating would be through the roof.

Induction, not deduction. But yeah, I hear you. Based on previous games, there was no reason to think our run game would be this good. However, Henry has been running well enough for game like this. He just gets hit behind the line too much.

 

I think that while the line played better, the TEs made the real difference in some cases. Pruitt played very well, for example. Watch him on the 99 yard run. Blocked a guy for like 20 yards! And it was Smith, a good LBer. Fun to watch! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   

I think it's also pretty obvious the Jags pretty much laid down. Let's not act like that's not a factor. I think after the 4th down stop and the 99yder they mailed it in. 

 

The Jags DL vs the Titans OL is a total mismatch and the Titans dominated it. Henry had wide open lanes. 

 

I'll def say this, a defense half assing it will get destroyed in the open field vs Henry running free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   

The whole notion of this post would have been if after the Pats game someone called me out for predicting that Brady would outplay Mariota.

 

Ha ha Oman said Brady would outplay Mariota!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×