Jonboy

2019 Draft News and Rumors

Face   
2 hours ago, ctm said:

I've posted several times that Risner was my sleeper pick for the Titans.

He checks all the boxes in terms of Robinson's overall approach as well as current need. His body of work is incomparable....4 year starter & totally dominant. I don't know how he played as a freshman but I know he's just been a black hole for pass rushers the last 3 years. Multi year production & character are what Robinson wants. Plus he also played at least one year at center & I believe it was 2. Then RT. So we have our RG  this year & then maybe our RT or C depending on what happens with Conklin & Jones, though I think Conklin will be just fine.

I think Risner could step right in at RG & play at a high level from day 1.

45 minutes ago, Face said:

He checks all the boxes in terms of Robinson's overall approach as well as current need. His body of work is incomparable....4 year starter & totally dominant. I don't know how he played as a freshman but I know he's just been a black hole for pass rushers the last 3 years. Multi year production & character are what Robinson wants. Plus he also played at least one year at center & I believe it was 2. Then RT. So we have our RG  this year & then maybe our RT or C depending on what happens with Conklin & Jones, though I think Conklin will be just fine.

I think Risner could step right in at RG & play at a high level from day 1.

Will we be in range at 51 is the question. 

3 minutes ago, BeedoeLaw said:

Unlikely but anything can happen though.

There are quite a few OL that will likely fall into the 18-45 range, Ford/Bradbury/Lindstrom/Risner/McCoy/Little.

Looks to be plenty of OL needy teams in the top 15 picks that will go defense in round 1 who could then swing around and go OL early in the 2nd round. 

Face   
On 4/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, BeedoeLaw said:

Oh no, he would have to be our 1st rounder. I think at the end of the day he'll go right around our pick. He's too good.

But this is the rub of this draft. We kind of backed ourselves up into a spot where we have to take an interior OL, probably by the 2md Rd latest. And there's some good ones. But I've never seen a front 7, pass rush draft like this. These combines these guys are putting up are incredible. A guy like Dex Lawrence (my favorite personally) or possibly Ed Oliver could be available at 19. Oliver most likely won't but could be in reasonable range. Or Jerry Tillery whose a monster. I just don't see how you pass on prospects like this for an interior OL. 

If theres one position where combine performance correlates very high, it's front 7. Go back in history & look at all time pass rushers like Bruce Smith, LT, Reggie White, Watt, Donald, etc. Everyone one of them had otherworldly genetics. They were insanely twitched up, putting up cornerback type jump & agility numbers at 280-300. Khalil Mack is another one.

I just think if one of these freaks can be had you don't pass it up because a center is a great fit for your current zone scheme. 

I also love the WR's & think there could be great value in the 2nd Rd. I think Isabella had a chance to be doninant. I really do. Hakeem Butler....I'm obsessed with his size. He does a great job downfield. Arcega-Whiteside is off the charts on jump balls. Emmanuel Hall is a great deep threat with insane jumping ability. Deebo Samuel. The OSU kids. I think that's where the 2nd Rd value is.

Kyle021   
On 4/5/2019 at 10:04 PM, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Unlikely but anything can happen though.

There are quite a few OL that will likely fall into the 18-45 range, Ford/Bradbury/Lindstrom/Risner/McCoy/Little.

Looks to be plenty of OL needy teams in the top 15 picks that will go defense in round 1 who could then swing around and go OL early in the 2nd round. 

McGovern? Jordan? Jenkins?

this draft is loaded at interior OL

there will be someone 

Justafan   

Jrob always has a good sense for the draft and is willing to move around to get his guys.  I'm sure he has very specific targets and I think the top two picks are likely to surprise most of us.  

This from Peter King's FMIA column, he runs down the entire first round talking about what each team is thinking about doing.

19. Tennessee: Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama. Marcus Mariota needs an intermediate friend, and Delanie Walker, coming off an injury, will be 35 in August. Smith’s an opening-day contributor.

King isn't the first draft analyst to link us with Irv Smith Jr over the last week.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/08/nfl-non-mock-draft-first-round-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

A bit of OL draft discussion from Albert Breer's MMQB column today, league circles expect 3 OT's to be gone in the top half of the first round.

The second highlighted passage has relevance to the Titans, for a while I have been saying it would be dangerous leaving filling the RG spot till pick 51.

6. The spending on offensive linemen in free agency the last two offseasons is Exhibit A on how scarcity can drive the market in the NFL—and that will spill over to the draft in a few weeks. There just aren’t enough properly developed big men out there coming into the league.

After calling around, my sense is that three tackles have established themselves as the best in the class: Florida’s Jawaan Taylor, Alabama’s Jonah Williams and Washington State’s Andre Dillard. Those three should come off the board one after another somewhere in the top half of the first round, maybe starting with Jacksonville at No. 7.

Is there a Jonathan Ogden in there? Nope. Taylor played right tackle in college, and some have projected him to left tackle in the NFL. But that is, as spelled out, a projection. Some line coaches think Williams isn’t long enough to play tackle in the pros, and will land at guard. And Dillard, a gifted athlete, has good, but not great tape. And yet, there’s a belief out there they’ll all be gone by the No. 15 or 16 pick, simply because it’s really, really hard to find good ones. This dynamic could, too, push some of the (very solid) guards and centers that many assumed would Friday picks into the bottom of the first round.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:17 PM, AussieTitanFan08 said:

We’ll probably have 3 HOF dbs in this class now. 

ctm   
2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

A bit of OL draft discussion from Albert Breer's MMQB column today, league circles expect 3 OT's to be gone in the top half of the first round.

The second highlighted passage has relevance to the Titans, for a while I have been saying it would be dangerous leaving filling the RG spot till pick 51.

6. The spending on offensive linemen in free agency the last two offseasons is Exhibit A on how scarcity can drive the market in the NFL—and that will spill over to the draft in a few weeks. There just aren’t enough properly developed big men out there coming into the league.

After calling around, my sense is that three tackles have established themselves as the best in the class: Florida’s Jawaan Taylor, Alabama’s Jonah Williams and Washington State’s Andre Dillard. Those three should come off the board one after another somewhere in the top half of the first round, maybe starting with Jacksonville at No. 7.

Is there a Jonathan Ogden in there? Nope. Taylor played right tackle in college, and some have projected him to left tackle in the NFL. But that is, as spelled out, a projection. Some line coaches think Williams isn’t long enough to play tackle in the pros, and will land at guard. And Dillard, a gifted athlete, has good, but not great tape. And yet, there’s a belief out there they’ll all be gone by the No. 15 or 16 pick, simply because it’s really, really hard to find good ones. This dynamic could, too, push some of the (very solid) guards and centers that many assumed would Friday picks into the bottom of the first round.

It's been obvious for a while there will be a run on interior  OL between our 1st and 2nd picks.  Titans are going OL, the remaining questions are which one and will it  be after a trade down (which seems doubtful).

1 minute ago, ctm said:

It's been obvious for a while there will be a run on interior  OL between our 1st and 2nd picks.  Titans are going OL, the remaining questions are which one and will it  be after a trade down (which seems doubtful).

I'm not as certain as you that it will be OL in round 1, with all the work we are doing on the 3rd round IOL guys maybe JRob will be happy going with guys like Michael Deiter/Nate Davis/Connor McGovern to fill that RG hole.

Personally I hope he goes all in and fixes the OL by taking Ford/Bradbury/Lindstrom rather than a lower tier guy later on day 2.

ctm   
Just now, AussieTitanFan08 said:

I'm not as certain as you that it will be OL in round 1, with all the work we are doing on the 3rd round IOL guys maybe JRob will be happy going with guys like Michael Deiter/Nate Davis/Connor McGovern to fill that RG hole.

Personally I hope he goes all in and fixes the OL by taking Ford/Bradbury/Lindstrom rather than a lower tier guy later on day 2.

Wyatt this week:

As for Pamphile, he’s clearly in the mix, but I think more additions – and competition – are coming to the o-line.

This is the second time he has made a plural reference to the OL.

tgo   

I mentioned previously in some thread that Burns doesn't fit the Panthers but Ferrell does bc of their traditional 4-3 defense. 

Well they're reportedly switching to more 3-4 looks this offseason. And the Panthers have shown the most interest in Burns to date per reports, so I'm recanting my earlier statement. 

It could be that the Panthers are the floor for Burns if they don't end up going with a tackle. 

tgo   

@AussieTitanFan08

Robinson was recently talking about how familiarity with prospects plays such a big role in the possibility of them being drafted. I've been thinking a lot about that and I wanted to know what you think about the idea of the Titans drafting Chris Lindstrom at 19?

I know everyone has a hard on for Bradbury, but I haven't seen him linked to the Titans at all and I think they see Jones solidly as the center personally. Let's assume for a second these things: 

Oliver, Burns, Wilkins, Ford, Jonah Williams, Hockenson are off the board. Which could easily happen. Let's assume the Titans have Risner rated as a round two prospect. And for shits and giggles, let's assume they don't want to draft a center in the 1st round with three viable centers on the roster in Jones/Levin/Grasu. 

So then you're basically left to choose between Dexter Lawrence, Jeffery Simmons, and Chris Lindstrom in my mind, under those assumptions in this scenario. 

Is it totally out of the question for Lindstrom to be drafted that high? He's not even on Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 big board, and yet several sites have him ranked as the number 1 guard. And I also saw a recent  mock that had him going to us at 19. He's being mocked in the 20's by several mock drafters and I've seen him mocked to the Vikings as well. 

As we know, the Titans have met with him multiple times and he played next to Vrabel's son. Obviously Piraino knows him very well and Vrabel is close to the BC head coach too. And Vrabel was expected to work him out along with the other BC prospects while he attended the Spring Game this weekend. I bet the Titans feel like they know Lindstrom better than any prospect, period - actually I guarantee it. But of course that doesn't mean they'll draft him, I'm just saying. 

Thoughts on this scenario?

Edited by tgo