Jonboy

2019 Draft News and Rumors

Huston   
1 minute ago, tgo said:

“I think there’s some guys in the draft, some guys that are still kind of floating around in free agency, that we have kind of kicked around, have some ideas about,” Robinson said. “I think with Delanie coming back, with Jonnu still coming back from injury, a couple of other guys had a couple of things ...

“I think it is really more from a numbers standpoint, for practice and OTAs than needing ‘a guy.’ I like the guys that we have. But certainly if we can add somebody that can create some competition there, that’s not a bad thing.”

Doesn't sound to me like they're going to target a TE (AKA Hockenson) early, but hard to read into it too much. 

Oh lord, cant wait to see how this is deciphered by the Hockenson for president crowd lol.

Soxcat   

JRob might love the guy and doesn't want someone trading over us to get him.  Who knows?  So plant some seeds like we are fine.  In reality Smith is coming off injury, as is Walker and his age.  So we might be looking for immediate and long term help there.  Really depends on how much they will use two TEs. 

JRob trying to cool expectations of seeing Delanie out on the field in the early part of the offseason program, he will be about 7 months post injury when the players report on April 15th.

23 minutes ago, tgo said:

“I think there’s some guys in the draft, some guys that are still kind of floating around in free agency, that we have kind of kicked around, have some ideas about,” Robinson said. “I think with Delanie coming back, with Jonnu still coming back from injury, a couple of other guys had a couple of things ...

“I think it is really more from a numbers standpoint, for practice and OTAs than needing ‘a guy.’ I like the guys that we have. But certainly if we can add somebody that can create some competition there, that’s not a bad thing.”

Doesn't sound to me like they're going to target a TE (AKA Hockenson) early, but hard to read into it too much. 

“I don’t know. We’ll see how it goes,” Robinson said as he headed into a session on Monday morning. “There’s some tight ends that are certainly worthy of going up there in the first round.

“Whether that’s the direction we go in or not, it’s to be determined.”

Also said this though, which makes it seem more coy. 

We aren't drafting a tight end high, unless the top guy falls into our lap in round two. Him saying "adding somebody that  can create some competition" is not what you would say about your tight end if you drafted him in the 1st round.

Soxcat   

Jrob isn't going to show his hand.  It all comes down to how good he sees a guy like Hokenson.  Is he a potential pro-bowl player?  Then he is well worth the #19 pick especially since he adds to both the passing game and running game.  Again, it comes down to what they want to do on offense.  If they are looking to run something like the Pats ran when they had Gronk and Hernandez the need is pretty high with our best TEs coming off injury and one being up in age (34).   

japan   
On 3/22/2019 at 9:42 AM, BeedoeLaw said:

Don't forget DL, specifically NT. I think you can remove Edge  from the dire need list. 

Huh?  It's the #1 need.

Face   
11 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Currently listening to the latest Stick to Football Podcast, Matt Miller mentioned that the Giants love Clelin Ferrell at pick 17, also the Falcons are into Cody Ford at pick 14.

Must say I would love it if some team took Ferrell before pick #19 would push someone else down to us, just don't think he is athletic enough to be a true fit at OLB in a base 3-4 defense.

That sucks, I'm in love with Cody Ford. Even though I prefer defense early I can't ignore the need at the interior & most importantly the talent there. While Bradbury is a stud at center Ford just has so much natural size & power, functional strength, along with good quick feet. On top of that it sounds like he can play anywhere besides center, maybe even LT, he looked good in drills there. He could play RG &a be good insurance for Conklin.

But mainly I just love his size. He's just a naturally huge framed kid. He & Jawaan Taylor are two of the most impressive, naturally sized dudes I've seen in awhile. Ford would blow open he running game.

ctm   

A numbers thing rather than needing a guy.....

So is the guy who plays Stocker's role already on the roster?  You could certainly infer that from his statement.

Edited by ctm

tgo   
4 minutes ago, ctm said:

So is the guy who plays Stocker's role already on the roster?  You could certainly infer that from his statement.

I would think based on the players we have on the roster right now, "Stocker's role" would be split between Pruitt (inline blocker) and Firkser (H-back)

Face   
42 minutes ago, ctm said:

Pruitt was actually a big upgrade, he did a great job as a blocker & he's clearly faster & more athletic. He caught a few 25 yard or so passes from Gabbert & was slightly overthrown on what would've been a 35 yard score in the Redskin game. I know he had a huge block on Henry's 99 yard run.

I thought the TE's did a great job the last 6 weeks. With Walker coming back & Smith being healthy I can't imagine using a high pick on a TE, unless they really fall in love with a guy.

More & more I see it the way you do....interior OL unless there's a defender they feel they can't pass up on. The current roster composition & salary allocation demands it. 

If they go defense in Rd 1 I wouldn't be surprised at all if they go interior OL the next 2 rds. 

abc2330   
5 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Jrob isn't going to show his hand.  It all comes down to how good he sees a guy like Hokenson.  Is he a potential pro-bowl player?  Then he is well worth the #19 pick especially since he adds to both the passing game and running game.  Again, it comes down to what they want to do on offense.  If they are looking to run something like the Pats ran when they had Gronk and Hernandez the need is pretty high with our best TEs coming off injury and one being up in age (34).   

I'm not going to go crazy and say he's Gronk or Kelce like everyone else.  But he's got the highest floor I've seen from A TE.  It's obviously a tough position to project as well as being a coveted one, so if you can get a pro bowl caliber player then it's absolutely worth the investment.

Justafan   
6 minutes ago, Huston said:

I think everyone understands the need for another TE just disagree with the role and level of that need.

Something else interesting to me is that when under center, they ran it 70% of the time and when in shotgun, they passed 75% of the time.  That's pretty damn predictable.  

To your point, I think a blocking TE is a bigger need than a big-time dynamic TE.  Until I know otherwise, I assume Walker will be back 100%.  We have too many needs to take a TE in the first unless they believe Hockenson is a player so talented they can build the offense around him going forward. 

I cant imagine passing on IOL at 19 unless all the IOL guys we presumably want are gone or some "top 10" edge guy falls. 

But if Hockenson is the pick i wont gripe.  Now any other guys it will likely be griping in heavy rotation!