Jonboy

2019 Draft News and Rumors

tgo   
7 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I like Irv Smith. I think he warrants a discussion. 

Isn’t he just basically a clone of Walker and Jonnu? And to a lesser extent, Pruitt. 

17 minutes ago, tgo said:

Isn’t he just basically a clone of Walker and Jonnu? And to a lesser extent, Pruitt. 

Jonnu? I think Irv Smith is a better receiving threat.

tgo   
Just now, headhunter said:

Jonnu? I think Irv Smith is a better receiving threat.

We dont really need a receiving threat. 

We need a balanced guy who is a great inline blocker. 

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

We dont really need a receiving threat. 

We need a balanced guy who is a great inline blocker. 

Irv Smith is a good inline blocker, not quite Hockenson but very solid, until Tua was installed at QB all Smith did at Alabama was block.

tgo   
Just now, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Irv Smith is a good inline blocker, not quite Hockenson but very solid, until Tua was installed at QB all Smith did at Alabama was block.

Gotcha 

tgo   
10 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Draft Network actually says he’s an “elite” blocking tight end. 

I personally love McShay's pick for the Titans @ 19.  Hockenson gives inline blocking and a threat as a receiver.  Really opens up this offense' especially if Joccu Smith could play WR (assuming Walker is OK).  Go IOL 4th round or later in the draft.  All the rest are defensive picks:  ILB, rusher, OLB.

pro

39 minutes ago, tgo said:

Draft Network actually says he’s an “elite” blocking tight end. 

I'm not sure I would say "elite" but good, the best way I could describe the difference between Irv Smith and Hockenson is consistency, Hockenson is legitimately like having a 3rd OT on the field at all times, Irv Smith shows flashes of "elite" blocking traits but just isn't consistent doing it.

tgo   
10 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

I'm not sure I would say "elite" but good, the best way I could describe the difference between Irv Smith and Hockenson is consistency, Hockenson is legitimately like having a 3rd OT on the field at all times, Irv Smith shows flashes of "elite" blocking traits but just isn't consistent doing it.

I think size plays a factor as well. 

Smith has more versatility as far as pro blocking schemes but Hockenson is more of a pure inline blocker. 

19 minutes ago, tgo said:

I think size plays a factor as well. 

Smith has more versatility as far as pro blocking schemes but Hockenson is more of a pure inline blocker. 

Mike Herndon raised some really valid points in his TE review today, Walker is 35 next season coming off a major injury it's unrealistic to expect him to get back to 100% of what he was before injury, then there is Smith/Pruitt/Firkser they are more role specific guys than true all around TE's, despite attempts to make him an inline guy Smith just isn't a very good blocker, Pruitt is a solid blocker but limited receiver and Firkser is purely a receiving TE.

This quote from the Herndon article puts into perspective exactly what Walker is up against in terms of TE's 35 and over.

"Only five tight ends in the last 50 years have had a 500-plus yard season at 35 or older: Tony Gonzalez, Ben Watson, Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, and Shannon Sharpe"

When you have limited role players like Pruitt/Firkser on the field certain tendencies start to reveal themselves, in that Herndon article he pointed out when Firkser was on the field the Titans were nearly 80% pass 20% run, these tendencies is what good DC's thrive on to throttle offenses.

In no way should Smith/Pruitt/Firkser be seen as impediments to drafting a true duel purpose TE like Hockenson or Irv Smith Jnr, especially in the type of offense Arthur Smith is going to want to run.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

tgo   
39 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Mike Herndon raised some really valid points in his TE review today, Walker is 35 next season coming off a major injury it's unrealistic to expect him to get back to 100% of what he was before injury, then there is Smith/Pruitt/Firkser they are more role specific guys than true all around TE's, despite attempts to make him an inline guy Smith just isn't a very good blocker, Pruitt is a solid blocker but limited receiver and Firkser is purely a receiving TE.

This quote from the Herndon article puts into perspective exactly what Walker is up against in terms of TE's 35 and over.

"Only five tight ends in the last 50 years have had a 500-plus yard season at 35 or older: Tony Gonzalez, Ben Watson, Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, and Shannon Sharpe"

When you have limited role players like Pruitt/Firkser on the field certain tendencies start to reveal themselves, in that Herndon article he pointed out when Firkser was on the field the Titans were nearly 80% pass 20% run, these tendencies is what good DC's thrive on to throttle offenses.

In no way should Smith/Pruitt/Firkser be seen as impediments to drafting a true duel purpose TE like Hockenson or Irv Smith Jnr, especially in the type of offense Arthur Smith is going to want to run.

Exactly. 

I like Firkser in a lot of ways, but ideally he doesn’t make your 53 man roster. 

The only way he’s going to make it this coming year is if we don’t add any tight ends or if we suffer a major offseason injury at the position.

24 minutes ago, tgo said:

Exactly. 

I like Firkser in a lot of ways, but ideally he doesn’t make your 53 man roster. 

The only way he’s going to make it this coming year is if we don’t add any tight ends or if we suffer a major offseason injury at the position.

Or if they can teach him how to block.  But he still doesn't have the size. 

At 6'5"/250 Hockenson is more in the mold of a Kelce or Gronk.

tgo   
31 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Or if they can teach him how to block.  But he still doesn't have the size. 

At 6'5"/250 Hockenson is more in the mold of a Kelce or Gronk.

Hockenson has the potential to be a top 3 TE in the league.