2019 Draft News and Rumors

Jonboy

On 2/1/2019 at 6:23 AM, Face said:

I wonder if the FB may make a comeback league wide with how successful the Niners have been using it. They've run 2 back an insane percentage the last 2 years, pretty close to 50%, which is way more then anyone else. And they were very productive out of the formation, both running & throwing. Their running game coordinator is that guy Mike McDaniel whose considered super bright around the league so they're obviously doing some creative stuff. They also have the best FB in the league to.

The main key with Shanahan & his offense, all the guys from his tree say, is doing a bunch of different things from the same set. He definitely has his go to stuff like the outside zone, play action boots etc, but the main thrust is being effective both running & passing out of the same exact formations.

What I love about the Patriots is how they’re always multiple, game in and game out. If adjustments need to be made so be it. 

Still the most perfect offense I ever watched was with Manning in Indy, same set almost every play. He discussed his audible action based on how the defense was aligned. He was given 3 plays with a primary. Every WR knew exactly where to be because of the simplicity of the system. Every play had zone and man beaters. He could always check to a play outside of his 3 given. 

The problem he consistently ran into was when defenses threw something at him he had never seen. He would check too much after they got after him. The guy was like a computer out there. 

All that to say I really like our scheme. We are multiple at every level. We run a scheme that gives the QB flexibility inside of his calls, while every passing play has a route that beats cover 3,2,4,9,6 and different variations of man. It’s similar to the Whiz playbook with Warner. Give your QB the option (pretty much no option routes) to pick apart the defense. If you run option routes you give them to your go to guy who your QB trusts (Fitzgerald.)

There’s a reason teams do not run a similar passing game as the Patriots. Their game is based off of PA and a ton of option routes. Most QBs cannot process that much information. I would say Brees and the Payton system is the closest. Notice no one uses that either. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can love Vrabel or hate Vrabel but he's earned respect.  That dude puts in the work and he's as real as it gets.  Happiest I've been with a HC that I can ever remember.  I hope he puts it all toge

The ESPN Titans draft coverage truly is embarrassing, less than a week out from the draft they hold a prime time mock draft special as a dress rehearsal for their actual draft coverage with McShay &am

The Titans played 2 TE sets on 26% of sets last year.  They played 3TE on 13% of plays.  They played 3WR on 58% of plays.  SO, a few things here.     1.  They were only successful in 3WR set

Posted Images

It's interesting how adamant Jim Wyatt seems to be that there will be multiple personnel changes on the interior OL this offseason, he is usually more reserved when discussing possible offseason moves, for some reason he is going all in on a major shakeup of the IOL this offseason.

13 hours ago, Huston said:

Pass on a TE in the first, luxury not a need. We dont pass the ball enough to warrant that kind of high pick on a player who would be at best 3rd in targets but most likely 4th this year.

Tes effect the run game also though especially when they are elite blockers like hockenson. Also helps when he stays back in pass protection. Theres a reason our line was so good when delanie was healthy but looked weaker when he got hurt.

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

It's interesting how adamant Jim Wyatt seems to be that there will be multiple personnel changes on the interior OL this offseason, he is usually more reserved when discussing possible offseason moves, for some reason he is going all in on a major shakeup of the IOL this offseason.

I’ve listened to all his recent radio interviews. Have I missed something?

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Totally okay with me. 

Heres a doozy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/01/29/2019-nfl-mock-draft-7-rounds-dwayne-haskins-kyler-murray-nick-bosa-quinnen-williams/amp/

Has us getting Simmons, Lindstrom, and Terry McLaurin who i heard was pretty good during the senior bowl. Idk enough about the other three guys to gauge them however. If we cant get Hockenson or maybe fant i dont think we go after te at all.

40 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

I’m really starting to jump on the Brian Burns bandwagon. We can sign one of the Smiths or Graham in free agency and then have Burns on the field for 3rd downs the first year. I think he may blow up the combine though and make himself a top 15 pick.

54 minutes ago, DecepticonShawn said:

Heres a doozy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/01/29/2019-nfl-mock-draft-7-rounds-dwayne-haskins-kyler-murray-nick-bosa-quinnen-williams/amp/

Has us getting Simmons, Lindstrom, and Terry McLaurin who i heard was pretty good during the senior bowl. Idk enough about the other three guys to gauge them however. If we cant get Hockenson or maybe fant i dont think we go after te at all.

Would love getting Lindstrom and McLaurin but Lindstrom is going to somewhere 15-45 I think so he will likely be gone before our 2nd round pick.

I also think McLaurin did enough at the Senior Bowl and I think he will do well at his combine and pro day to make himself a Day 2 pick by some team (hopefully us).

8 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Darius Leonard won defensive rookie of the year

Leading up to the draft I was saying we should take this guy in the first round, many people said he wasnt worth it. 

He is one of the main reasons i'm not as obsessive with getting "value" in the draft anymore, who cares if you pick a guy 1 round earlier than most people think he is worth, just draft good football players.

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Darius Leonard won defensive rookie of the year

Leading up to the draft I was saying we should take this guy in the first round, many people said he wasnt worth it. 

The problem is that Leonard’s position is the one that Woodyard and Brown play if he were to play in the 3-4, which isn’t even his ideal spot anyway. He’s best suited as a 4-3 Will LB which is where he plays with the Colts. 

He couldn’t play Evans’s position in this defense. 

5 hours ago, tgo said:

The problem is that Leonard’s position is the one that Woodyard and Brown play if he were to play in the 3-4, which isn’t even his ideal spot anyway. He’s best suited as a 4-3 Will LB which is where he plays with the Colts. 

He couldn’t play Evans’s position in this defense. 

Exactly, he isn't asked to take on guards  just to run and chase.

• Jonboy locked, and unpinned this topic