Jonboy

2019 Draft News and Rumors

Huston   
4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I'll be interested to see if they use a true FB. They used Stocker as a lead blocker a lot the last month and obviously signed one during the season at one point. 

Well you be interested and I'll be pissed, don't want to see him back there at all lol. 

tgo   
4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I'll be interested to see if they use a true FB. They used Stocker as a lead blocker a lot the last month and obviously signed one during the season at one point. 

Yeah, this is an interesting question. 

They may go for more of a true H-back type, separate from the inline guy (Hockenson please!), like a Trevon Wesco or someone with more of a hybrid skillset than Stocker - who is really just an aging, unathletic inline tight end. 

Someone like Fowler really isn't capable of being an "H-back," he's a huge running back essentially and can't play on the line in any formation. This may be what they'll steer away from - although I will say this is my favorite kind of fullback. Just an old school 100% pure old fashioned fullback. 

Nash   

Look at the analysis of the 49ers offense that I posted in the thread about Downing.. I see us with an Hback serving the role of fullback in that style of play

49 ers offense

tgo   

@Nash 

I agree on the H-back thing. 

But we'll be running less of the pure "Shanahan offense" than we did under LaFluer when you put together all the reporting and prognosticating available at this point most likely. 

We'll likely keep the verbiage mostly intact and the same offensive framework, including outside zone (probably more inside power in addition to inside zone), but the offense will look probably 25-30% different next year in terms of concepts/formations, etc (not talking verbiage). And the difference will come from an infusion of  Mularkey/Whisenhunt/Loggains concepts and formations rather than from more Shanahan influence. 

Edited by tgo

OILERMAN   
41 minutes ago, Huston said:

Well you be interested and I'll be pissed, don't want to see him back there at all lol. 

Stocker was already doing it. 

If they get a true FB he's going to play STs mainly and likely play 5-10 snaps as a lead blocker

ctm   
1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

If they get a true FB he's going to play STs mainly and likely play 5-10 snaps as a lead blocker

They'll get a guy who can line up in the backfield and inline.  Call him what you want.  The guy from WVU discussed up thread did that and they can draft him late.  There are probably a few others as well.  The only question is how soon they can get him ready to contribute.

Huston   
1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

I know that's the problem, dont want to see him in the back field ever again. Keep him on the line and rotate the other TE's as lead blockers dont know if they truly even need a true fullback.

OILERMAN   

If they can get a lead blocker who can also line up on the line that's even better. But it's possible the better option is a true lead blocking FB. It's not like the guy is going to play a lot of snaps either way. 

Huston   

Walker has done it in the past, Smith can as well and they would and a huge dynamic to the passing game out of that formation. It would even give you pretty good options in the redzone as well.

Soxcat   
4 hours ago, Huston said:

I know that's the problem, dont want to see him in the back field ever again. Keep him on the line and rotate the other TE's as lead blockers dont know if they truly even need a true fullback.

Your right.  If you take our best inline blocking TE and play him at Fb we lose an inline blocker.  Thing is if we use a true FB who can't really run the ball or catch passes we might as well line up one of our DL guys back there (Casey would make a great FB).  I don't mind having a FB who can do a number of things including H-back or TE. 

Matt Miller on his Stick to Football podcast today went into a bit more detail on the character concerns surrounding Montez Sweat, apparently it is not drug/violence related, it more revolves around concerns he is lazy and concerns that he doesn't love football.

Miller also mentioned people inside the Mississippi State program have willingly been telling NFL teams about their concerns that Sweat doesn't love football.

tgo   
Just now, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Matt Miller on his Stick to Football podcast today went into a bit more detail on the character concerns surrounding Montez Sweat, apparently it is not drug/violence related, it more revolves around concerns he is lazy and concerns that he doesn't love football.

Miller also mentioned people inside the Mississippi State program have willingly been telling NFL teams about their concerns that Sweat doesn't love football.

Won't get drafted here!