2019 Draft News and Rumors

Jonboy

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Couple of other interesting bits from MMQB today.

4) I would pay attention to Sweat’s decision not to go to Nashville for the draft. We had it in the Monday Afternoon Quarterback last week that his heart condition would knock him off some teams’ boards. And it doesn’t end there. Failed drug tests earlier on as a collegian, his dismissal from Michigan State, and his handling of the pre-draft process have added to the trepidation teams have on the 6' 6", 260-pound freak, who blistered a 4.41 40-yard dash and posted a 36-inch vertical in Indy. Thursday could be interesting for a player who, on talent, should be a Top 10 pick.

3) You may notice the number of offensive linemen in my mock draft (eight), and my feeling is that it is, in part, yet another example of teams looking ahead a year to frame their strategy. You’ve read in this space that some teams may wait on quarterbacks and receivers, seeing what this year’s class is, and knowing those positions have potential to be significantly stronger in 2020. With the offensive linemen, the opposite is happening. Not only has it gotten harder to find and develop offensive linemen (which is why so many established ones have gotten paid both in free agency and by their own teams), a peek ahead to next year has revealed a relatively barren landscape. Notre Dame left tackle Liam Eichenberg and Wisconsin center Tyler Biadasz have a shot as headliners, but there’s not a ton of depth or overall promise—which has created urgency for teams to get their guys in 2019. We mentioned last week that the idea of just hitting “a double off the wall” in Round 1 with interior guys like Bradbury, Lindstrom, McCoy and Ford made sense in a year without a ton of elite prospects at premium spots was appealing to teams. And it makes even more sense if you don’t think you’ll be able to hit one next year.

Maybe this is why Wyatt has said twice that the team is going to bring in (not necessarily draft) multiple OL.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can love Vrabel or hate Vrabel but he's earned respect.  That dude puts in the work and he's as real as it gets.  Happiest I've been with a HC that I can ever remember.  I hope he puts it all toge

The ESPN Titans draft coverage truly is embarrassing, less than a week out from the draft they hold a prime time mock draft special as a dress rehearsal for their actual draft coverage with McShay &am

The Titans played 2 TE sets on 26% of sets last year.  They played 3TE on 13% of plays.  They played 3WR on 58% of plays.  SO, a few things here.     1.  They were only successful in 3WR set

Posted Images

7 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Peter King just released his one and only mock draft, I would vomit if this happened.

19. Tennessee: Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan

Here’s what funny about mock drafts. Sometimes, I hear from a smart GM who says something like: Drew Lock is way too low! Okay, I text back. Who should I give him to? Tennessee. No way, I text. You can’t draft Mariota’s successor yet. So I thought and thought and made one extra call, and some said, of all the players I had left on the board, “Rashan Gary is Mike Vrabel’s kind of player. Give them Gary.” See the science I use here?

I was wondering how people felt about him and also Devin Bush. I'm so out of the loop regarding this draft, more-so than previous years. Is Bush supposed to go higher than our pick?

Wait...why isn't anyone jumping on the Peter King quote regarding QB?

It sounds like a "smart GM" told him the Titans would (should?) take Drew Lock if he's there at #19. Or am I misreading that?

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

It sounds like a "smart GM" told him the Titans would (should?) take Drew Lock if he's there at #19. Or am I misreading that?

It's not like it is unfathomable.  Mariota has yet to be healthy during an entire season or lead greater than a bottom 10 passing offense.  I find it more surprising that these mock drafts treat Mariota as the undisputed franchise QB and suggest throwing even more resources at the receivers after two years of piss poor production.  The pass rush and IOL are two areas where we could realistically see an improvement due to a first round pick.  But  Unless a WR can throw the ball to himself or run past everyone with the ball in his hands, I'm not counting on getting a boost from our passing game if I was making a conservative projection

Edited by abc2330

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

I don't know but not interested in an inaccurate, erratic passer that is Jake Lockeresque imo. Accuracy is one of the things you cannot teach a QB. 

That'd be crazy, but I must admit, it's been in the back of my mind that if a top QB falls, the Titans could be a sneaky player in that area. 

Highly unlikely though. 

1 hour ago, TeamRamrod27 said:

I just listened to the SI Mock Draft podcast and man is Andy Benoit a dolt. You can really tell he learned everything he knows from Matt Millen.

Be careful.  He's highly respected around here...

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

I don't know but not interested in an inaccurate, erratic passer that is Jake Lockeresque imo. Accuracy is one of the things you cannot teach a QB. 

That'd be crazy, but I must admit, it's been in the back of my mind that if a top QB falls, the Titans could be a sneaky player in that area. 

Highly unlikely though. 

It was really likely before the Tannehill trade.  Still possible but I agree that it's unlikely.

I feel wierd about Montez Sweat because for such an athletic freak he lacks a lot of fluidity in his movements on the field. He has a ton of power in his hands but he lacks the level of hand-fighting technique he'll need at the next level. I don't see him as ever becoming the type of rusher that chains multiple moves and counter-moves to get to the QB. He's a pretty stout run defender but he's probably the worst tackling edge guy I've seen in a while. He's constantly lunging and trying to wrestle runners down rather than actually tackling them but he doesn't get burned by it because he's so big and strong that they usually go down without much issue. Add the health stuff and it makes him a scary prospect IMO. I can't believe I'm saying this about a 6'6" 260 lb pass rusher that ran a 4.4 and has good production but here we are. Maybe I'm just over-analyzing. 

8 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I feel wierd about Montez Sweat because for such an athletic freak he lacks a lot of fluidity in his movements on the field. He has a ton of power in his hands but he lacks the level of hand-fighting technique he'll need at the next level. I don't see him as ever becoming the type of rusher that chains multiple moves and counter-moves to get to the QB. He's a pretty stout run defender but he's probably the worst tackling edge guy I've seen in a while. He's constantly lunging and trying to wrestle runners down rather than actually tackling them but he doesn't get burned by it because he's so big and strong that they usually go down without much issue. Add the health stuff and it makes him a scary prospect IMO. I can't believe I'm saying this about a 6'6" 260 lb pass rusher that ran a 4.4 and has good production but here we are. Maybe I'm just over-analyzing. 

He's a work out warrior, high bust potential type. He had production but there are plenty of red flags in his play even outside the medical stuff. 

Multiple failed drug tests, had to switch colleges, maturity/character concnerns. 

I'd be surprised if he's on our board, and if he is it's probably pretty far down. 

57 minutes ago, tgo said:

Highly unlikely though. 

He's more similar to Matt Stafford , who also had sub-60% accuracy in college.  Locker was nothing but a traits based prospect who sucked in college

• Jonboy locked, and unpinned this topic