2019 Draft News and Rumors

Jonboy

10 minutes ago, rns90 said:

I found the part about Rashaan Gary interesting.  If he fell to #19, I wonder if we would pick him.  He has not really produced at Michigan.

I've been meaning to bring up Gary, who I never understood the obsession with. He was regularly being mocked 1st overall & is still being mocked in the top 6. I understand the measurables, and I'm a big combine guy. History shows that just about every dominant front 7 player had huge combines. But the production just wasn't there for Gary, at all. Winovich was much better.

That said,  at 19 he does become tempting. It also sounds like the position he played at Michigan, LE in a 4-3, wasn't one conducive for stats. It's a lot of 2 gap, setting the edge, and sort of bull rushing & containing the QB on clear passing  downs. Also, Cynthia Freuland from NFLN has some good analytical stuff & said despite the numbers he covered more ground per rush then almost every edge in this class, which means he was very close often.

A guy he could be similar to but much more explosive is Mario Edwards Jr from the 2015 draft. He had the same role in Florida St's defense, sort of a power/containment type end, and didn't put up much in the numbers dept. But scouts really liked him & I didn't know why. He went in the first few picks in the 2nd Rd & played really well as a rookie, but they kicked him inside on passing downs. I think this is Gary's ideal role, setting the edge on early downs & rushing inside on passing downs. I think we're looking for a guy like this, a good sized edge who can spell Wake on running downs & replace DQ Jones on 3rd down.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can love Vrabel or hate Vrabel but he's earned respect.  That dude puts in the work and he's as real as it gets.  Happiest I've been with a HC that I can ever remember.  I hope he puts it all toge

The ESPN Titans draft coverage truly is embarrassing, less than a week out from the draft they hold a prime time mock draft special as a dress rehearsal for their actual draft coverage with McShay &am

The Titans played 2 TE sets on 26% of sets last year.  They played 3TE on 13% of plays.  They played 3WR on 58% of plays.  SO, a few things here.     1.  They were only successful in 3WR set

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Face said:

I've been meaning to bring up Gary, who I never understood the obsession with. He was regularly being mocked 1st overall & is still being mocked in the top 6. I understand the measurables, and I'm a big combine guy. History shows that just about every dominant front 7 player had huge combines. But the production just wasn't there for Gary, at all. Winovich was much better.

That said,  at 19 he does become tempting. It also sounds like the position he played at Michigan, LE in a 4-3, wasn't one conducive for stats. It's a lot of 2 gap, setting the edge, and sort of bull rushing & containing the QB on clear passing  downs. Also, Cynthia Freuland from NFLN has some good analytical stuff & said despite the numbers he covered more ground per rush then almost every edge in this class, which means he was very close often.

A guy he could be similar to but much more explosive is Mario Edwards Jr from the 2015 draft. He had the same role in Florida St's defense, sort of a power/containment type end, and didn't put up much in the numbers dept. But scouts really liked him & I didn't know why. He went in the first few picks in the 2nd Rd & played really well as a rookie, but they kicked him inside on passing downs. I think this is Gary's ideal role, setting the edge on early downs & rushing inside on passing downs. I think we're looking for a guy like this, a good sized edge who can spell Wake on running downs & replace DQ Jones on 3rd down.

I'm not crazy about Gary if I'm honest but I like the line of thinking.  I definitely think they covet a bigger guy with length more than the speed bender type since they already have Wake and Landry who will likely dominate third downs.  A bigger guy who can set the edge and move inside and still rush on third downs would be very valuable indeed. 

9 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I really want a solid IOL guy but the truth is the value is at Edge and IDL.  It is so much harder to find solid DLine guys later than it is IOL guys.  You can find a quality starter at IOL all the way into the 4th even if they aren't an immediate plug and play starter.  

Edge guys who can start usually go in the first 40 picks.  Elite prospects at IDL are going to be gone by the end of the first round.

Now guys like Jochai Polite and Dexter Lawrence could slip to 51 but otherwise your dropping to guys more like Charles Omenihu if you pass on DL in the first.  On the other hand, a guy like Connor McGovern could very well last to our third and he would be a low-end starter right away with the traits to develop into a quality starter over time.  He has the athletic traits to immediately be an upgrade over Kline from last year.  

There's so many ways this draft could potentially unfold and if you take the wrong guy early, it will really screw up who is available later on.  Luckily, this is where Jrob shines.  He always has a finger on the pulse.  I can't wait until draft night to see how this thing unfolds.  So many different ways this thing could play out. 

As much as I like Robinson I think his approach in the 1st Rd of always trying to fix our biggest weakness limits the upside of the team. Of course need is a huge factor. The people who say you always take BPA are stupid, you mostly want the best combination of need & talent. But right now we actually don't have many weak points. RG is obviously one & then I'd say 5 tech & nose, where DQ Jones certainly isn't a bad player, but could  be upgraded. He did a great job building the base of the team. 

But we also don't have many great, game changing players. Kuharsky brought this up. I think where this team is now we should try to hit on a superstar. We're solid all over, but we could use a real game changer somewhere. Some of these combines these kids put up are insane. Montez Sweat for example, if he were to drop. I mean, a 4.4 with 35 1/2 inch arms? We've literally never seen a speed/length combo like this. DK Metcalf, Dex Lawrence, Brian Burns. Just throwing some names out there, these are kids with all time athletic ability at key spots. 

12 minutes ago, Face said:

As much as I like Robinson I think his approach in the 1st Rd of always trying to fix our biggest weakness limits the upside of the team. Of course need is a huge factor. The people who say you always take BPA are stupid, you mostly want the best combination of need & talent. But right now we actually don't have many weak points. RG is obviously one & then I'd say 5 tech & nose, where DQ Jones certainly isn't a bad player, but could  be upgraded. He did a great job building the base of the team. 

But we also don't have many great, game changing players. Kuharsky brought this up. I think where this team is now we should try to hit on a superstar. We're solid all over, but we could use a real game changer somewhere. Some of these combines these kids put up are insane. Montez Sweat for example, if he were to drop. I mean, a 4.4 with 35 1/2 inch arms? We've literally never seen a speed/length combo like this. DK Metcalf, Dex Lawrence, Brian Burns. Just throwing some names out there, these are kids with all time athletic ability at key spots. 

I agree but we are in limbo at QB. 

Giving up 1 next year to move up eliminates us from Fromm/Tua if MM isn’t putting up numbers needed for a contract and unable to play the season. 

If we trade up for an elite talent lent then we are saying we are going to go with MM no matter what going forward and an extension coming soon. 

I would move up into the 8-10 range for a top defensive player if all we had to give up is two 2’s and a 4th this year. A second this year and next. 

Thatll give us our 1 and 3 next year which we could package with multiple future first rounders to move up for Fromm

or

for some wild reason Seattle doesn’t resign Wilson you just give them three first rounders and tag MM and trade him with it for say Wilson and a 2 in 2020 and 3rd in 2021

Edited by Kyle021

With those insane things never happening. Unless MM does stink it up and we do make a major move for a QB next year...

you draft well this year. Trade back and accumulate more picks bc there’s a bunch of first round talent in the 2nd or stay at 19 and take a star player like Simmons

15 minutes ago, Face said:

Just remember that JRob values production far and away above elite measurable. 

Id rather get a byard/brown type than metcalf any day of the week. 

Of course, Having both elite measurables and production is ideal but those guys are running thin around 19. 

21 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Why do you keep saying that?  Sure it plays out more for mid round small school picks but JRob certainly does look at measurables.  He looks at the whole package.  Point being he doesn't over load on the production unless there is more there to go with it.

Adoree didn't get picked because of his production did he?  Landry had an off year production wise.  Evans production was overly great at Bama. 

I do agree JROb is looking for football players more than just athletes.  But they also need to have the right combination of athletic skills to fit the role he wants to put them in. 

Now if we want to draft a true X WR we need to get one with the proper measurable characteristics.  Speed, size are important.  If the guy can't scare the hell out of the defense vertically he isn't gong to have the value.   

I keep saying it because it’s true. And JRob has said it numerous times. 

Adoree has great production .. at several different positions including returner AND as an offensive playmaker where we had a need. 

Landry had elite production one year and decent production a year when injured.  His body of work was elite. 

DK metcalf has Late round production with zero elite or even great years but is matched with elite size and straight line speed... however... even his elite athleticism is limited by his inability to turn or cut

the dude looks like the same workout warriors  that come out every year and never do shit. 

Edited by titanruss

5 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Why do you keep saying that?  Sure it plays out more for mid round small school picks but JRob certainly does look at measurables.  He looks at the whole package.  Point being he doesn't over load on the production unless there is more there to go with it.

Adoree didn't get picked because of his production did he?  Landry had an off year production wise.  Evans production was overly great at Bama. 

I do agree JROb is looking for football players more than just athletes.  But they also need to have the right combination of athletic skills to fit the role he wants to put them in. 

Now if we want to draft a true X WR we need to get one with the proper measurable characteristics.  Speed, size are important.  If the guy can't scare the hell out of the defense vertically he isn't gong to have the value.   

Even though I don't think WR is a real need per se, the reason I started that thread about them is exactly what you wrote here, the last part. There's a bunch of outside, "X" WR's this year with clear, big play, explosive traits.You have kids like Arcega-Whiteside, Hakeem Butler, NKeal Harry who have great size & catch radius, and just own contested passes. Then you have Hollywood Brown, Andy Isabella, and Emmanuel Hall who consistently blew by corners & got behind defenses. And Metcalf whose just an insane monster who does both. 

This is one tbing Ive come around to, don't invest in an outside WR that doesn't have an explosive trait. I don't care how good his hands or route running are.

23 hours ago, tgo said:

We don't need an X receiver  , Y receiver, blue receiver, what have you.  We need a guy who can turn ordinary plays into TDs.  Because based on the last two years, that's all that we're getting out of our QB.

• Jonboy locked, and unpinned this topic