2019 Draft News and Rumors

Jonboy

10 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

I'm not sure I would say "elite" but good, the best way I could describe the difference between Irv Smith and Hockenson is consistency, Hockenson is legitimately like having a 3rd OT on the field at all times, Irv Smith shows flashes of "elite" blocking traits but just isn't consistent doing it.

I think size plays a factor as well. 

Smith has more versatility as far as pro blocking schemes but Hockenson is more of a pure inline blocker. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can love Vrabel or hate Vrabel but he's earned respect.  That dude puts in the work and he's as real as it gets.  Happiest I've been with a HC that I can ever remember.  I hope he puts it all toge

The ESPN Titans draft coverage truly is embarrassing, less than a week out from the draft they hold a prime time mock draft special as a dress rehearsal for their actual draft coverage with McShay &am

The Titans played 2 TE sets on 26% of sets last year.  They played 3TE on 13% of plays.  They played 3WR on 58% of plays.  SO, a few things here.     1.  They were only successful in 3WR set

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, tgo said:

I think size plays a factor as well. 

Smith has more versatility as far as pro blocking schemes but Hockenson is more of a pure inline blocker. 

Mike Herndon raised some really valid points in his TE review today, Walker is 35 next season coming off a major injury it's unrealistic to expect him to get back to 100% of what he was before injury, then there is Smith/Pruitt/Firkser they are more role specific guys than true all around TE's, despite attempts to make him an inline guy Smith just isn't a very good blocker, Pruitt is a solid blocker but limited receiver and Firkser is purely a receiving TE.

This quote from the Herndon article puts into perspective exactly what Walker is up against in terms of TE's 35 and over.

"Only five tight ends in the last 50 years have had a 500-plus yard season at 35 or older: Tony Gonzalez, Ben Watson, Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, and Shannon Sharpe"

When you have limited role players like Pruitt/Firkser on the field certain tendencies start to reveal themselves, in that Herndon article he pointed out when Firkser was on the field the Titans were nearly 80% pass 20% run, these tendencies is what good DC's thrive on to throttle offenses.

In no way should Smith/Pruitt/Firkser be seen as impediments to drafting a true duel purpose TE like Hockenson or Irv Smith Jnr, especially in the type of offense Arthur Smith is going to want to run.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

39 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Mike Herndon raised some really valid points in his TE review today, Walker is 35 next season coming off a major injury it's unrealistic to expect him to get back to 100% of what he was before injury, then there is Smith/Pruitt/Firkser they are more role specific guys than true all around TE's, despite attempts to make him an inline guy Smith just isn't a very good blocker, Pruitt is a solid blocker but limited receiver and Firkser is purely a receiving TE.

This quote from the Herndon article puts into perspective exactly what Walker is up against in terms of TE's 35 and over.

"Only five tight ends in the last 50 years have had a 500-plus yard season at 35 or older: Tony Gonzalez, Ben Watson, Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, and Shannon Sharpe"

When you have limited role players like Pruitt/Firkser on the field certain tendencies start to reveal themselves, in that Herndon article he pointed out when Firkser was on the field the Titans were nearly 80% pass 20% run, these tendencies is what good DC's thrive on to throttle offenses.

In no way should Smith/Pruitt/Firkser be seen as impediments to drafting a true duel purpose TE like Hockenson or Irv Smith Jnr, especially in the type of offense Arthur Smith is going to want to run.

Exactly. 

I like Firkser in a lot of ways, but ideally he doesn’t make your 53 man roster. 

The only way he’s going to make it this coming year is if we don’t add any tight ends or if we suffer a major offseason injury at the position.

24 minutes ago, tgo said:

Exactly. 

I like Firkser in a lot of ways, but ideally he doesn’t make your 53 man roster. 

The only way he’s going to make it this coming year is if we don’t add any tight ends or if we suffer a major offseason injury at the position.

Or if they can teach him how to block.  But he still doesn't have the size. 

At 6'5"/250 Hockenson is more in the mold of a Kelce or Gronk.

31 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Or if they can teach him how to block.  But he still doesn't have the size. 

At 6'5"/250 Hockenson is more in the mold of a Kelce or Gronk.

Hockenson has the potential to be a top 3 TE in the league. 

I find this rather odd, considering the story of JRob pounding Belichick to draft Gronk.

Surely he knows the value of a generational TE.  You have to wonder if he believes Hock is that good or not.

Or who knows, if he really is the best offensive skill player in this draft, then he probably won't be there at 19.

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Alright I like Hockenson too but you all just setting yourselves up for disappointment. 

As if  a Gronk type player is being discussed at the end of the first in this day and age.  Hayden fucking Hurst went in the first.

TEs, like receivers, are obviously difficult to scout.  Very little of what they do in college translates to NFL route running or grasping a playbook.  But Hock can obviously move bodies in the run game.  If he's got athleticism and is seemed intelligent and hard working enough,I wouldn't bet against him for a second.

A lot of tools to develop with Brian Burns, not many have the first step quickness he has, wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it to pick #19 with his physical traits.

If JRob can find a decent edge containing OLB in FA I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Burns at #19 and using him as a situational pass rusher until he fills that frame out and improves against the run.

Good thread here showing a selection of his pass rushing moves.

3 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

A lot of tools to develop with Brian Burns, not many have the first step quickness he has, wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it to pick #19 with his physical traits.

If JRob can find a decent edge containing OLB in FA I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Burns at #19 and using him as a situational pass rusher until he fills that frame out and improves against the run.

Good thread here showing a selection of his pass rushing moves.

A freakishly quick athletic undersized edge guy from a Florida school.... seems oddly familiar (one can only hope ?)

I had no idea 2018 was just Hochenson's  sophomore season.   

The fact that he played so well after just two years of college ball certainly speaks volumes as to his potential.   

But at 21 years old, the maturity/commitment factor is a bigger question mark than it would be for a kid who's 22-23 years old.    Not that it's an automatic red flag, and I haven't heard of any character concerns with Hochenson....but it probably warrants a bit more attention during the evaluation process.

But in the Titans situation, he wouldn't automatically be asked to shoulder the load from day one.   With Delanie and Jonnu coming back, Hochenson would step in as the #2-3 TE with a year or two to grow into the #1 role.   And of course, he'd be learning the ropes from one of the best in the game, on a team that values and prioritizes the TE position.

It may or may not be the best direction for the Titans....but it would be a pretty great situation for Hochenson.

• Jonboy locked, and unpinned this topic