OILERMAN

The tax windfall that wasn't: A troubling new IRS report suggests many Americans may be giving money right back to the government

7 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

If you read the article it's talking about the fact the IRS isn't withholding enough and a lot of people are going to owe money come tax time. 

Yea, I saw the article.  It's unfortunate if true but I'm not sure how widespread it is and the article didn't really make the math on it all that clear.  

9 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-the-tax-windfall-that-wasnt-20181101-story.html?fbclid=IwAR2t2jQtEb-8_oSb-1gPA-o8WokB6R_Ajz5Ncjgb_l1VAes4HIy9sDy6zt0

But millions of Americans looking forward to their tax refunds are about to be disappointed, even upset. They will not see their expected refunds when they file their returns in 2019. Even worse, many will be required to pay extra taxes. Why the change? The Republicans’ push to sell their tax law to the American public is the culprit.

In macro-economic terms, rather than individual consequences, the tax cut this year provided a boost to the 2018 economy. More people had more money to spend.  In 2019, it will do the opposite.

1 minute ago, ctm said:

In macro-economic terms, rather than individual consequences, the tax cut this year provided a boost to the 2018 economy. More people had more money to spend.  In 2019, it will do the opposite.

I listened to an economist yesterday talking about the upcoming fall outs from the tax cut and tariffs and it was not a pretty picture for 2019 and more 2020

Even if the math works out to where people saved more ultimately by having less taken out throughout the year, this has the potential to be a disaster. Folks aren't going to understand all the math of that. I'm not saying most people are stupid, but unfortunately most Americans don't take a long term holistic view of their finances. They live day to day, paycheck to paycheck. They aren't going to crunch the numbers to see how it all balanced out. Plus the money they didn't pay in taxes throughout the year will already have been spent. 

The middle and lower class has become accustomed to a tax refund every year. Many people totally depend upon it. If they don't get the refund they are expecting, or worse yet have to pay, there will be pitchforks.

9 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Correct. Responsible for the hurricanes and any other natural disasters or unfortunate events.  I mean, I'm really starting to believe 9/11 was an inside job. I cant believe it's been there all this time and I didnt see it. 

It was all Trump. Damn. 

This is the thing, Jake. No one expects you to understand the complexities of how policy and philosophy impact these issues. We get that for you Trump would literally have to set a forest on fire for it to make sense. You're welcome to get educated and participate in meaningful discussions about the issues facing our time. 

Global warming makes the impact of forest fires and hurricanes much worse.  Trump has done nothing to help with the problem, in fact, he has made it worse.  This is one of the reasons republicans are losing young voters by a big margin.  They can read the scientific evidence and realize what their future will bring.

Not surprised at all that Jake tries to trivialize a natural disaster and the death of over 60 people by making light of it.

Edited by ctm

34 minutes ago, Bink said:

This is the thing, Jake. No one expects you to understand the complexities of how policy and philosophy impact these issues. We get that for you Trump would literally have to set a forest on fire for it to make sense. You're welcome to get educated and participate in meaningful discussions about the issues facing our time. 

No, you dont understand it's the people that litter and pollute the environment. If you want to blame the government, you dont understand whats really fucking shit up.

Maybe instead of focusing on plastic straws, they should be focused on bigger environmental concerns. 

3 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

No, you dont understand it's the people that litter and pollute the environment. If you want to blame the government, you dont understand whats really fucking shit up.

Maybe instead of focusing on plastic straws, they should be focused on bigger environmental concerns. 

Talk about proving my point. 

31 minutes ago, Bink said:

Talk about proving my point. 

Not really. Ppl shouldn't need a policy in place in order to recycle and not litter. Also, I'm not fully aware of all of the statistics, but I would imagine our transportation is the biggest issue. And I dont see that changing.

13 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Not really. Ppl shouldn't need a policy in place in order to recycle and not litter. Also, I'm not fully aware of all of the statistics, but I would imagine our transportation is the biggest issue. And I dont see that changing.

Yeah really. When asked to speak at a level beyond basic regarding climate you say "it's about people littering and polluting the environment." 

That the most basic bitch answer you can possibly conjure, talking about fucking littering--what a five year old knows about sustainability.