The tax windfall that wasn't: A troubling new IRS report suggests many Americans may be giving money right back to the government

OILERMAN

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quoting for those who have abenjami on ignore.  

No Kathy you cannot get 3k worth of merchandise for free because Amazon paid no taxes you stupid bitch 

Which is more likely? Thousands and thousands of human resources departments across the country all screwed up their employees withholding?  Or, the IRS changed the tables and it affected millions nat

Posted Images

1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Somehow they’ve never seen the irony in the fact more guns were bought under the communist Marxist Islamic black guy than ever before in the history of our country. 

Obama will go down as the greatest gun salesman in US history. The NRA should have a statue of Obama with the inscription, "He's coming for our guns!"

11 minutes ago, begooode said:

Post Parkland Trump: ‘take the guns first, then worry about due process’

The right didn’t seem too concerned with that one. Jesus, imagine if Obama uttered anything in the ballpark of such a statement. A couple hundred thousand AARP members would have stroked out. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

6 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Somehow they’ve never seen the irony in the fact more guns were bought under the communist Marxist Islamic black guy than ever before in the history of our country. 

That's bc its the messaging that matters, not the topics. It's a voting base that responds well to simplistic propaganda and fear based messaging. They care about what they're told to care about.

They don't respond well to empathetic or guilt  messaging which is why Dem messaging tends to lose them. 

Edited by reo

9 hours ago, reo said:

That's bc its the messaging that matters, not the topics. It's a voting base that responds well to simplistic propaganda and fear based messaging. They care about what they're told to care about.

They don't respond well to empathetic or guilt  messaging which is why Dem messaging tends to lose them. 

This is an interesting thought. 

Ive always found people who are type A personalities tend to trust their instinct too much. People follow their lead though so it enhances their first thought oftentimes. 

Type B people are more empathetic, as you noted, and they oftentimes genuinely care more about the group than the parts. 

Fake type A’s, or those who wish they were type A, fall in line behind Republicans, while type B fall in line behind Democrats. 

For those types i consider them mostly to exhibit only one side of the personality structure. People are fit quite well into 4 distinct categories: detective, entertainer, fighter, and counselor. The sales description is actually very apt in most cases. 

The majority of people I meet have a dominant characteristic followed by a dormant 2nd. In that realm is what you speak of where certain archetypes follow a certain mold. The fighters follow the Republicans and the counselors follow the Dems. That’s a good 50% of our population. 

The nuance becomes the fact that many many people are two types. Some of them are 3. And some of them are Dynamic, including all 4. The weird part is that personality type does not distinguish intelligence, but it follows a curve. The more dynamic the more intelligent, at least for the most part. 

From what hat I can tell the more dynamic side does not equate one’s self with a team. And since that is the case we naturally fall to the side that is more empathetic with others who may not see it like us. 

Of course I do see the irony in the fact I’m discussing such things on a Titans message board. It really is interesting when you think about it. The majority of people who post over on this side at least exemplify 2 dominant traits, and most of them 3. The ones who feel like they belong to a team are, for lack of better words, simple. It has nothing to do with their intelligence necessarily, but the correlation is very strong. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/16/2018 at 8:21 AM, Legaltitan said:

Even if the math works out to where people saved more ultimately by having less taken out throughout the year, this has the potential to be a disaster. Folks aren't going to understand all the math of that. I'm not saying most people are stupid, but unfortunately most Americans don't take a long term holistic view of their finances. They live day to day, paycheck to paycheck. They aren't going to crunch the numbers to see how it all balanced out. Plus the money they didn't pay in taxes throughout the year will already have been spent. 

The middle and lower class has become accustomed to a tax refund every year. Many people totally depend upon it. If they don't get the refund they are expecting, or worse yet have to pay, there will be pitchforks.

As Carlin would say, fuck em’.

I’m not saying the Dems don’t own some of this, because in actuality they own a lot of it by putting Clinton up there amid a major investigation, but the rubes who thought Trump was actually looking out for them deserve every bit of the pain they’re experiencing. Hopefully this will bitch slap them into reality. If you’re going to pay more in taxes then what do you have to show for it except for a government shutdown and the rich people paying less while you cover the margin? 

43 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Taxes trump a wall.  

I have started on taxes yet.  I'm a bit concerned.  

I am already planning on having to pay thousands. I didn't even know about the new lower withholding rates, but when I saw my take-home salary jump as much as it did I knew something was up.