Sign in to follow this  
AussieTitanFan08

Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson

tgo   
2 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Anybody mention teammate Noah Fant? Might be a better pass catching prospect and will probably be there when we pick. 

Can't wait to see the combine numbers. A very athletic TE. Irv Smith is certain worth considering also. 

Not sure I would move up to get Hockenson. 

We have enough pass catching tight ends, we need an inline blocker. 

Fant isn't as good anyway and has character concerns.

tgo   
2 hours ago, Rolltide said:

The Stocker situation has nothing to do with this. Stocker is just a blocker. 

Obviously it has something to do it with it. 

If they re-sign Stocker they're likely not going to draft an inline tight end early whose main role initially would be blocking.

Edited by tgo

Rolltide   
8 minutes ago, tgo said:

Obviously it has something to do it with it. 

If they re-sign Stocker they're likely not going to draft an inline tight end early whose main role initially would be blocking.

Stocker is a role player only. Why would you hesitate to draft the next Jason Witten(If you believed he could be that kind of player) just because Stocker was on the roster? 

Edited by Rolltide

tgo   
13 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

Stocker is a role player only. Why would you hesitate to draft the next Jason Witten(If you believed he could be that kind of player) just because Stocker was on the roster? 

You wouldn't, in my opinion. Hockenson is my favorite player in the draft. 

That's not the point though - the point is that if they have any intention of drafting Hockenson if he's there (or any TE early), they probably won't re-sign Stocker since we already have so many TE's on the roster, including Pruitt, Firkser, and Cole Wick. 

Edited by tgo

Rolltide   

I'm going to make a prediction even before the combine. Noah Fant will be a stud TE/slot receiver in the mold of Evan Engram but with more natural size. He will probably be drafted by the Pats at 32 and will be a stud player for them and people will be saying shit, I wished my team took that guy. Fant is a full 2 inches taller than 
Engram and should easily be able to add 10 lbs to his frame. 

I like Fant over Irv Smith for this reason. All season long Bama lined up with 3 stud WRs. Teams simply could not afford to use a safety or NB on Smith and still matchup with Jerry Juedy and company. As a result Smith got linebacker or at best SS coverage. Fant on the other hand was almost a WR for Iowa lining up against NB, Safeties and even CBs all day long and beat them! They used him on the outside in the red zone. The kid is fluid as hell and has great ball skills. 

Rolltide   
Just now, tgo said:

You wouldn't, in my opinion. Hockenson is my favorite player in the draft. 

That's not the point - the point is that if they have any intention of drafting Hockenson if he's there (or any TE early), they probably won't re-sign Stocker since we already have so many TE's on the roster, including Pruitt, Firkser, and Cole Wick. 

Dude WTF? Stocker was on the roaster in place of a FB. He was lining up as a FB or HB much of the time. We can easily have 3 TEs and Stocker on the roster. 

tgo   
2 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

Dude WTF? Stocker was on the roaster in place of a FB. He was lining up as a FB or HB much of the time. We can easily have 3 TEs and Stocker on the roster. 

Stocker was the primary inline blocking tight end, and yes he was playing H-back as well (which he isn't cut out for). It's not about having 3 TEs and Stocker. You think they're just going to cut Pruitt (after Vrabel is so obsessed with him and got him brought here)?

If Stocker is back, we cannot have him playing that H-back and fullback role. We need either a true fullback or an actual H-back. Stocker is an inline tight end and needs to be playing there as the primary blocking TE if he's on the roster. 

Yes-they could sign Stocker and just keep Delanie and Jonnu and a rookie in theory. But they're more likely to keep Pruitt on the roster than Stocker overall, so why would they not just let Stocker walk if they're going to draft a rookie?

Rolltide   

For those wanting to compare Hockenson to kittle remember that Kittle's workout was elite, sick! I seriously doubt Hockenson will have that good a workout. 

Kittle ran a 4.52 40 at the combine. He had a 7.00 cone at pro day and a 38 1/2 inch vertical. This for a guy who is 6'4 250. 

Rolltide   

Tuco you make no sense. One one hand you say that stocker is significant enough that his presence on the roster would determine if we draft a TE at all and on the other you say he is insignificant. He is barely significant. 

tgo   
1 hour ago, Rolltide said:

Tuco you make no sense. One one hand you say that stocker is significant enough that his presence on the roster would determine if we draft a TE at all and on the other you say he is insignificant. He is barely significant. 

That's not what I'm saying. 

They already have a general idea of what they will do in the draft. So if they're planning on drafting Hockenson if he's there at 19, they're probably not going to re-sign Stocker. They're both inline tight ends and fill essentially the same role except Hockenson is also great in the passing game. 

They could do both, but it's unlikely given that we have 3 other NFL caliber TEs on the roster. 

Then again, they could see Pruitt as a better blocker than Stocker and just have Pruitt as his replacement and subsequently neither re-sign Stocker nor draft Hockenson. 

The point is this: 

I'm not saying they won't draft Hockenson due to Stocker's presence. I'm saying they probably won't re-sign Stocker if they are planning to take an inline TE early. 

They pretty much know exactly what they're going to do at every stage at this point and now it's just a waiting and negotiating game. 

Edited by tgo

Rolltide   

A major issue for Iowa this last season is that they did not have one quality WR. Hockenson and Fant were 1 and 2 in catches, yards and TDs. 

Fans complained that Fant was not used enough or used well. One article I read said that he has WR speed and a 42 inch vertical. Over the last 2 seasons 26% of his catches went for TD!. 

https://allhawkeyes.com/pages/story/details/2834

Fant’s specialty is catching touchdown passes and making big plays as a 6-foot-5, 241-pound tight end with a 42-inch vertical jump and speed more common for a receiver.

If that is near true scouts will be drooling over that kid. If he posts a sub 4.60 40 and a 40 inch vertical he might be the first TE drafted. 

GOAT9   
4 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Anybody mention teammate Noah Fant? Might be a better pass catching prospect and will probably be there when we pick. 

Can't wait to see the combine numbers. A very athletic TE. Irv Smith is certain worth considering also. 

Not sure I would move up to get Hockenson. 

If its not an all around TE that can contribute in both the run and pass game, then our 1st pick should be sent elsewhere. Technically speaking TE isn't our biggest need but Hockensons abililty is very Jason Witten like and would be worth it. Otherwise we are better off filling other needs. 

Soxcat   

Fant is more like Cook.  Not worth a 1st round pick IMO.  Better off getting a legit WR in the 1st if that is what we want.  We could potentially get a guy similar to Davis in the 1st at WR with the DL and edge guys in this draft. 

Obviously in any draft a Jason Witten like TE is well worth the #19 pick in the draft.  No brainer.  Helps the run game and passing game and gives the QB a great 3rd down and red zone option.  Those kind of guys are worth gold on offense.  Imagine Walker in his prime.  I'd use a 1st on another guy like him in a heartbeat.

And yes @RolltideTide, if we draft Hokenson we don't need Stocker.  We certainly aren't going to avoid drafting Hokenson because of Stocker so I have no idea what your argument is here. 

Rolltide   
2 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Fant is more like Cook.  Not worth a 1st round pick IMO.  Better off getting a legit WR in the 1st if that is what we want.  We could potentially get a guy similar to Davis in the 1st at WR with the DL and edge guys in this draft. 

Obviously in any draft a Jason Witten like TE is well worth the #19 pick in the draft.  No brainer.  Helps the run game and passing game and gives the QB a great 3rd down and red zone option.  Those kind of guys are worth gold on offense.  Imagine Walker in his prime.  I'd use a 1st on another guy like him in a heartbeat.

And yes @RolltideTide, if we draft Hokenson we don't need Stocker.  We certainly aren't going to avoid drafting Hokenson because of Stocker so I have no idea what your argument is here. 

I said that Stocker has no bearing on whether or not we draft a TE. Tuco said it does. Read his post. Reading disability?

Jared cook had almost 900 yards receiving this past season. Since his rookie year he has averaged 598 yards a season. There are a boatload of 1st rd picks and high 2nd rd picks that have done much less than that. Kenny Britt-Justin Hunter-Kendall Wright are examples. 

Players like Cook are much more valued today than when he was drafted.