Markets hit Hard Today

GOAT9

7 minutes ago, Btowner said:

Out of curiosity, is the Trump appointed USPS task force to investigate the USPS and Amazon agreement still around or did it go the same route as his voter fraud task force?

After he was caught talking to the PM general illegally it wasn't mentioned again. 

It's on the list of things the House is going to investigate when the Dems take control. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recommend liquidating your entire portfolio. Hold cash until the market crashes, then buy low.    My re-entry Point is 17,000.    If you have some free time, check out an old mov

No change, keep on buying, I enjoy the big dips

The Duke brothers are killing the franchise market!  

5 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Today President Trump is blaming* the Treasury Secretary and Federal Reserve Chairman for the market slide.  So when he inevitably blames Democrats, they can quote him previously blaming his own appointments for the slide, painting him as just a complainer and excuse maker.  He voluntary supplied that example.  He is not very bright. This would be like a head coach wasting his last flag for nothing, losing it when he might actually want it.

President Trump has expressed dissatisfaction with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Trump reportedly blames Mnuchin for backing Federal Reserve chairman Jerome Powell and for the recent volatility in the stock market.

Edited by 9 Nines

The market rallied strong today   I think this is a chance to get back some losses. I’m leery of the FAANG sector. It’s not a dotcom bust,  it l see them taking a long time to get back to the high level they set. 

I picked up CAT a couple of months ago. If the Fs are still up in January I’ll be rotating out. 

Opinions

Edited by Number9

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, Number9 said:

The market rallied strong today   I think this is a chance to get back some losses. I’m leery of the FAANG sector. It’s not a dotcom bust,  it l see them taking a long time to get back to the high level they set. 

I picked up CAT a couple of months ago. If the Fs are still up in January I’ll be rotating out. 

Opinions

The best motivator to buy CAT is if infrastructure spending goes up in areas where CAT is strong. I haven't looked at their financials recently but they could be a good buy if the price is right. 

4 minutes ago, GOAT9 said:

The best motivator to buy CAT is if infrastructure spending goes up in areas where CAT is strong. I haven't looked at their financials recently but they could be a good buy if the price is right. 

Value Line has good appreciation for them over the next three years.  I have been kinda lazy and have be just riding winners. Gotta keep moving. 

I saw Ring mentioned the other day. I’m going to look at it. 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, Number9 said:

Value Line has good appreciation for them over the next three years.  I have been kinda lazy and have be just riding winners. Gotta keep moving. 

I saw Ring mentioned the other day. I’m going to look at it. 

Welp hopefully you waited and didn't buy anything before today lol

As of this morning, my 401k is still up 6% on the year... but I've got about a third of it invested in the company I work for and our stock is setting all time highs. I also pulled back about 8% and put it in bonds a month or two ago, as I expected a dip for whatever reason and I'm a pretty conservative person (that's essentially been flat since, so I simply avoid a loss there).  Apart from that, I've got 11% in a 500 index and the remainder in generic target retirement date funds. Targeted retirements are each down 4% on the year, based on when I invested. 500 is still slightly up, actually.

All this to ask - How does my very minimally managed 401k compare to the YTD earnings for others, who likely take a more direct hand in investing?

1 minute ago, Jamalisms said:

As of this morning, my 401k is still up 6% on the year... but I've got about a third of it invested in the company I work for and our stock is setting all time highs. I also pulled back about 8% and put it in bonds a month or two ago, as I expected a dip for whatever reason and I'm a pretty conservative person (that's essentially been flat since, so I simply avoid a loss there).  Apart from that, I've got 11% in a 500 index and the remainder in generic target retirement date funds. Targeted retirements are each down 4% on the year, based on when I invested. 500 is still slightly up, actually.

A 1/3rd is way too much to have invested in a single company you work for

And pulling out and going into bonds(which are down for the year) is the same thing we mocked Abenjami for. Although I'll say 8% is pretty insignificant overall. 

Most financial people advice against mixing stock index funds with retirement date funds, they already have bonds in them with the bond allocation you already did and already have an S&P index fund you have. Your likely being charged fees on multiple funds overlapping. 

I'd research a safer amount of your holdings should be in your company stock(I always hear no more than 10%)

And I'd either go S&P index fund with a bond fund or go straight retirement date fund. 

My .02

58 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

A 1/3rd is way too much to have invested in a single company you work for

And pulling out and going into bonds(which are down for the year) is the same thing we mocked Abenjami for. Although I'll say 8% is pretty insignificant overall. 

Most financial people advice against mixing stock index funds with retirement date funds, they already have bonds in them with the bond allocation you already did and already have an S&P index fund you have. Your likely being charged fees on multiple funds overlapping. 

I'd research a safer amount of your holdings should be in your company stock(I always hear no more than 10%)

And I'd either go S&P index fund with a bond fund or go straight retirement date fund. 

My .02

Yeah, the difference is that I'm happy being conservative and not maximizing.

That said, I've made 21% this year keeping money in the company I work for and timing a few moves when it previously hit new highs and then repurchasing when it dipped back to a more reasonable level ... and it's value is relatively stable in that it's a utility so I feel somewhat insulated from a crash. I was completely out of the stock for a month or so and then moved back in and have been increasing my % owned as I grow increasingly wary of the market as a whole.

The bonds move was absolutely an Abenjami move, though a small enough value that if I missed growth with that portion I'd shrug, whereas if I cut a loss I'll feel happy ... so I won't feel a downside and my conservative nature Trump's all.

Plus, I actually timed the exit well so far.

Now one thing I did recently that basically all experts say is a terrible idea is I decided to do a 401k loan instead of a personal loan at a similar rate. Conservative me feels like paying myself 6% and losing the potential for bigger gains on that principle is better (in this market) than passing someone else 6% and risking a loss. I know others likely hate the idea. I suspect I'll net out better and cutting the risk for this uncertain time is a plus for me even if the result isn't ideal.

15 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

All this to ask - How does my very minimally managed 401k compare to the YTD earnings for others, who likely take a more direct hand in investing?

As far as my 401k im at exactly 4.17%+ after the 800 point drop the other day. Im pretty similar to what you have except instead of the 500 index, its a small cap index fund.