Markets hit Hard Today

GOAT9

Title says it all. 600+ point drop in the DOW. The weakness is coming from the tech sector. Energy sector isn't helping either. GE is operating at 3x leverage (industry standard is around 0.8.) GE also slashed dividends and needs to sell assets in order to meet some bond obligations. Interest hikes aren't going to help things. The economy does still appear to be robust overall though. 

So just curious where other people's concentrations have been on their investments.

I changed my weights slightly at the beginning of the year towards value stocks and bonds but I don't think I shifted enough. I am considering changing that. 

Fortunately, I was never big on tech stocks, so I wasn't hurt too bad by the drop today. Those funds were put into the Healthcare sector. More specifically Pharma and medical equipment companies. Otherwise Im mostly in industrials and financials (that's where I specialized as a broker and where im most comfortable.)

And then I still have the few shares of what has been my money maker since the crash, Cedar Fair. Although its an LP and isn't very  liquid so I need to make a decision on that. 

So again, what is everybody else doing?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recommend liquidating your entire portfolio. Hold cash until the market crashes, then buy low.    My re-entry Point is 17,000.    If you have some free time, check out an old mov

No change, keep on buying, I enjoy the big dips

The Duke brothers are killing the franchise market!  

I recommend liquidating your entire portfolio. Hold cash until the market crashes, then buy low. 

My re-entry Point is 17,000. 

If you have some free time, check out an old movie called Trading Places for more tips. 

Edited by abenjami

10 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I recommend liquidating your entire portfolio. Hold cash until the market crashes, then buy low. 

If you have some free time, check out an old movie called Trading Places for more tips. 

I went all in on pork bellies (since heavy on FAANG stocks, actually would have been better approach)

31 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I’ll bet you $1 that won’t work...

7 hours ago, abenjami said:

Didn't you say something like this last year?

6 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Not really, you have no idea what Amazon is like, it’s insane 

I was there long enough to see the beginnings of that pos clusterfuck. lol  As a sub and a regular carrier.  Packages were insane even back then.  There were times during Xmas when I had to make a parcel run in my LLV, just for packages!  Then come back later and pick up the mail and deliver it, with even more packages.

4 hours ago, TitanedUpSince'70 said:

There were times during Xmas when I had to make a parcel run in my LLV, just for packages!  

The last few years we come in at 5:00 AM, deliver packages for 2 hours, come back to office and start route, finish route and go back out with more packages. That starts after Thanksgiving - XMas

45 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The last few years we come in at 5:00 AM, deliver packages for 2 hours, come back to office and start route, finish route and go back out with more packages. That starts after Thanksgiving - XMas

Out of curiosity, is the Trump appointed USPS task force to investigate the USPS and Amazon agreement still around or did it go the same route as his voter fraud task force?

47 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

That's the way to do it.  Get there early like the clerks do and go to it.  Our damn Postmaster would never let us come in any earlier than 6:30 or so.  We'd be battling darkness many a night in December, because of that shit.