Gerrymandering

Legaltitan

25 minutes ago, Omar said:

Seems like this thread needed a bump since the courts have found the Republican gerrymandered states of Michigan and Ohio to be unconstitutional this week. 

Lines need to be redrawn..

It was a flagrant political grab for power.  The Dems would have done the same had they been in power.  It's about time the courts stepped in to force lawmakers to do what should have been abundantly clear was their ethical responsibility to do in the first place.  Anyone who doubts the motivations of politicians to be self-serving should take a long hard look at this case.  

You can't believe anything they say when it comes to taking care of Americans and families.  Most of these politicians, at the end of the day, will always put their own self-interests before any of ours.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the Democrats took back the House, I feel like I can get away now with whining about this.   Here is how bad it is in North Carolina:   1,747,420 Democratic Votes  = 3 congre

I'd say gerrymandering should be illegal but ... it is, generally. The SCOTUS just has a problem with math and, perhaps rightly, worries about a hard and fast rule.   Instead, I'll argue tha

@9 Nines has discussed this before. The Republican strategy is to gin up just enough support during these types of elections that it is not a full on assault on their power. If people get pissed off e

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Justafan said:

It was a flagrant political grab for power.  The Dems would have done the same had they been in power.  It's about time the courts stepped in to force lawmakers to do what should have been abundantly clear was their ethical responsibility to do in the first place.  Anyone who doubts the motivations of politicians to be self-serving should take a long hard look at this case.  

You can't believe anything they say when it comes to taking care of Americans and families.  Most of these politicians, at the end of the day, will always put their own self-interests before any of ours.  

Well said...Republicans getting called on their BS. I also have no doubt Dems would have done the same thing if they could. 

It's so dumb and something there ought to be bi partisan agreement on. Instead of a seesaw based on who is in power st the time of the most recent census, how about just drawing reasonable districts? Sure there will be bickering here and there at the margins but the districts ought to just make sense to any idiot who picks up a map. 

But this is not a pure democracy, and was never intended to be.

I know y'all would like to to be, but it isn't and just because you split the registered voters down the middle, it doesn't mean people are getting their interests represented fairly.

Much like national elections and the electoral college.  If it was a pure democracy, Illinois, NY State, California and Texas would decide just about every national election, with Florida thrown in for a tie-breaker every few years.

Oregon and Washington and even California to some extent all suffer from this mindset.  Small but concentrated enclaves of one party are ruling the state like a fiefdom, and couldn't care less what the other side thinks or wants done.

And it isn't working for anyone but a handful of big frogs in little ponds.

20 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

But this is not a pure democracy, and was never intended to be.

I know y'all would like to to be, but it isn't and just because you split the registered voters down the middle, it doesn't mean people are getting their interests represented fairly.

Much like national elections and the electoral college.  If it was a pure democracy, Illinois, NY State, California and Texas would decide just about every national election, with Florida thrown in for a tie-breaker every few years.

Oregon and Washington and even California to some extent all suffer from this mindset.  Small but concentrated enclaves of one party are ruling the state like a fiefdom, and couldn't care less what the other side thinks or wants done.

And it isn't working for anyone but a handful of big frogs in little ponds.

Lol at defending gerrymandering. 

I think the founding fathers were much more worried about the dangers of what was then a remotely located center of power controlling everything so they baked in a lot of autonomy for local events including elections; they had just fought a bloody revolution against a very remote uber powerful authority. They never dreamed of a country that was interconnected with instantaneous means of mass communication dominated by 2 opposing parties each determined to win a total ideological victory, the country be damned. The whole system was set up to be a bunch of checks and balances that were supposed to guarantee that compromise would carry the day.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Legaltitan said:

I thunk you may have missed the point of what I said. 

Honestly what makes you one of the best posters in the political forum is your calm demeanor and ability to communicate to both sides rationally. It also occasionally leaves you blind to some obvious stuff, The judge in the Manafort case being a Trump loving toadie, Trump being compromised by Putin and this subject, how close the elections are to being rigged

But it's a small complaint, you're money 90% of the time