Democratic Nomination for 2020 - UPDATED to include those who have officially announced

Legaltitan

1 minute ago, Titans279 said:

I want someone to ask Biden how he hopes to get his plans past a Republican filibuster.

Bernie too since he also opposes ending the filibuster. 

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amigo, there has to be a transition that isn’t strictly Medicare for All, regardless of how the bill is written. I’ve supported Medicare for All for a long time now. I still support it. When speaking

I know some people don't want to hear it, but it's going to be Bernie and if it is, he's gonna win. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Titans279 said:

I want someone to ask Biden how he hopes to get his plans past a Republican filibuster.

And you're unconcerned with Bernie's plans getting past a filibuster? 

Just now, tgo said:

Bernie too since he also opposes ending the filibuster. 

I could see them asking Sanders but they won't ask Biden since his plans are "moderate" he gets to skate by without going into much detail.

1 minute ago, Rogue said:

And you're unconcerned with Bernie's plans getting past a filibuster? 

I don't expect Sanders to get his plans passed so no one has to worry about losing their private plans.

3 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I could see them asking Sanders but they won't ask Biden since his plans are "moderate" he gets to skate by without going into much detail.

Well his plans are actually heavily detailed with specific tax plans that fully pay for them. 

But as far as the votes, yeah the filibuster would have to end unless they use budget reconciliation with control over both houses of Congress. Harry Reid is a big proponent of ending the filibuster and is a close friend of Biden. He'll endorse Biden after Super Tuesday (he says he knows who he will support but is waiting until after Super Tuesday as he promised the DNC), and I think he may be able to convince him as long as Schumer and Durbin are on board - both Reid disciples. 

And it'd be up to Senate leaders anyway, not the president, although obviously a Senate institutionalist like Biden would hold sway. 

Edited by tgo

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Well his plans are actually heavily detailed with specific tax plans that fully pay for them. 

But as far as the votes, yeah the filibuster would have to end unless they use budget reconciliation with control over both houses of Congress. Harry Reid is a big proponent of ending the filibuster and is a close friend of Biden. He'll endorse Biden after Super Tuesday (he says he knows who he will support but is waiting until after Super Tuesday as he promised the DNC), and I think he may be able to convince him as long as Schumer and Durbin are on board. 

Right, but conservative Democrats are not on board for his agenda and Republicans obviously will filibuster everything. Maybe he could get one watered down priority done through reconciliation. Beefing up the ACA without a public option seems possible.

IMO having the pay-for doesn't really matter if the overall policy can't pass.

Biden's plans are unlikely to actually pass given the realities on the ground. He has said he doesn't want to remove the filibuster.

Basically, if you want to see changes we have to hope that he's lying. Someone who appears moderate and is having his reasonable reforms obstructed would be the best one to remove it anyway.

I mostly think he doesn't actually want to remove it though. There's also a lot of establishment Democrats who would rather there be gridlock than potentially lose ground on issues. The GOP could have passed a lot of bills after 2016 with a simple majority.

@Titans279 The presidency is mostly about foreign policy, messaging, making the institutions run well, and upholding the rule of law. 

For me the most important thing the next president can do is give power back to congress and restore the institutions and international order. And of course, JUDGES. 

Any legislative progress would be great and should be pushed for but is gravy. 

38 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Biden represents status quo to the establishment, no reason to ask him about his plans getting passed. 

It's just they want status quo without Trump, he's an embarrassment. 

32 minutes ago, tgo said:

@Titans279 The presidency is mostly about foreign policy, messaging, making the institutions run well, and upholding the rule of law. 

For me the most important thing the next president can do is give power back to congress and restore the institutions and international order. And of course, JUDGES. 

Any legislative progress would be great and should be pushed for but is gravy. 

I feel for Biden's VP's campaign in 2024 if their strategy for the previous 4 years was that passing legislation is just gravy.

Edited by Titans279

4 hours ago, Titans279 said:

I think this is so true 

You have to balance that with how more unhinged Trump will almost certainly become, especially if the economy starts to tank. He's getting dangerously close to demanding loyalty oaths from every federal employee and other extreme measures. 

2 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I feel for Biden's VP's campaign in 2024 if their strategy for the previous 4 years was that passing legislation is just gravy.

How about Bernie’s campaign after accomplishing zero of the things he rails about? 

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

How about Bernie’s campaign after accomplishing zero of the things he rails about? 

It's going to be a big problem for any Democrat that's elected!

Someone should ask them about it.

Edited by Titans279