Democratic Nomination for 2020 - UPDATED to include those who have officially announced

Legaltitan

11 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Hmm I bet she would go with a non-white person. 

I could see Castro honestly. It would be funny because it would be a ticket specifically designed to infuriate you! ?

I actually have always like both Castros, I've followed Julian closely for many years and knew about him before Obama was even elected.  I just think that low blow in the debate made him look bad and was very politically stupid. He was probably coached to be more aggressive to try and make a splash to get out of the doldrums, but I don't think it works for him. He's always been more of a happy warrior and positive politician rather than the demeaning/aggressive persona he had in that one debate.

I also think his immigration position is too far left politically. 

But I've always thought Castro was a talented politician with a bright future, only recently he started acting a fool with low blow attacks against a well liked party statesmen. I do think that asking rust belt independents to vote for a Warren/Castro ticket is a very heavy lift politically and would be quite a dangerous gamble against Trump. But it would likely turn out more hispanic voters too. 

Warren could either go with a minority or go with a true moderate (Castro and Booker are both somewhat moderate, but I mean a real moderate) as a running mate. I'm not sure at this point which option would be wiser politically. If she goes with a minority, I would hope she would pick Booker. 

Castro being on the ticket wouldn't make any difference to me, but I can tell you that with the way a lot of white suburban and rural middle class people think, it would be a drag on the ticket in the states that Warren needs to win and which will already be a struggle for her to win in the first place. I think hispanic votes would get a a boost but not enough to offset the negative among the white working class. 

Edited by tgo

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amigo, there has to be a transition that isn’t strictly Medicare for All, regardless of how the bill is written. I’ve supported Medicare for All for a long time now. I still support it. When speaking

I know some people don't want to hear it, but it's going to be Bernie and if it is, he's gonna win. 

Posted Images

I haven't see any evidence that Castro actually does anything to excite Hispanic voters (or any voters) so I don't think he'd be a good pick. He seems decent on paper (solid speaker, good policy chops) but appears to appeal to virtually no one.

Hispanic voters are also tend to vote way less as a block compared to black voters so targeting them with a VP pick would probably pay fewer dividends. Booker would seem like a pretty good pick.

Warren could either go with a minority or go with a true moderate (Castro and Booker are both somewhat moderate, but I mean a real moderate) as a running mate. I'm not sure at this point which option would be wiser politically. If she goes with a minority, I would hope she would pick Booker. 

I think we all know "true moderate" is code for "white man."

11 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I haven't see any evidence that Castro actually does anything to excite Hispanic voters (or any voters) so I don't think he'd be a good pick. He seems decent on paper (solid speaker, good policy chops) but appears to appeal to virtually no one.

Hispanic voters are also tend to vote way less as a block compared to black voters so targeting them with a VP pick would probably pay fewer dividends. Booker would seem like a pretty good pick.

I think we all know "true moderate" is code for "white man."

No. Hakeem Jeffries is a true moderate, Stacey Abrams, Cedric Richmond, Barack Obama, Eric Holder, Bill Richardson, etc. 

FWIW:

Three quarters of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents are pleased with the selection of Democratic candidates in the 2020 presidential contest, which is among the highest levels of satisfaction measured in decades, according to a survey released Wednesday. 

The Gallup poll found that 75 percent of respondents said they were pleased with the large list of contenders while 21 percent said they wished someone outside the field was running for the nomination.

The poll found that 85 percent of those who identified as ideologically liberal said they were satisfied with the field, while 71 percent who identified as moderate and 54 percent of Conservative Democrats and leaners said the same. 

By contrast in April of 2016, when Hillary Clinton and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) were running for the Democratic nomination, 55 percent said they were happy with the selection while 42 percent said they wished someone else was running. 

The survey also found that 72 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents were pleased by their choices for the party's 2020 nomination, which is almost sure to be President Trump.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/465030-democrats-satisfaction-with-2020-candidates-among-highest-in-decades-gallup

5 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Hey Touched The Tard, just how many privates do you have in your Yahoo Tard Army now? I just went to Yahoo and I know I saw over a hundred. You are truly fucked in the head.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/10/11/belmont-university-nashville-hosts-presidential-debate-2020/3941983002/

Belmont University will host the final presidential debate in 2020, less than two weeks before Election Day.

The Commission on Presidential Debates selected Belmont from a pool of six finalists, the university announced Friday. It will host the last of three presidential debates on Oct. 22, 2020.

2 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Why is it even this close in Ohio?  I'd figure the Democrat would be ahead by more.

I highly doubt Democrats will win Ohio. Biden's campaign manager is from Ohio and was Obama's Ohio state director and they have a lot of firepower there, so Biden has a slight chance to win the state. 

But Warren has very little chance there imo

Biden also would be a shoe-in to win Pennsylvania and Wisconsin and would put Florida in play there with his popularity there with older independents. 

I think Warren could slightly win Wisconsin and would probably win Pennsylvania, but the electoral college would likely be way too close for comfort with Warren. 

Edited by tgo

9 minutes ago, tgo said:

I highly doubt Democrats will win Ohio. Biden's campaign manager is from Ohio and was Obama's Ohio state director and they have a lot of firepower there, so Biden has a slight chance to win the state. 

Biden also would be a shoe-in to win Pennsylvania and Wisconsin and would put Florida in play there with his popularity there with older independents. 

I think Warren could slightly win Wisconsin and would probably win Pennsylvania, but the electoral college would likely be way too close for comfort with Warren. 

Is Trump still really popular in Ohio?  I just find that a little hard to believe.  I can buy him still being popular in the Southern states but Ohio that one is difficult.  I haven't really followed politics that closely this year though.

6 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Is Trump still really popular in Ohio?  I just find that a little hard to believe.  I can buy him still being popular in the Southern states but Ohio that one is difficult.  I haven't really followed politics that closely this year though.

Out of all the true swing states, Ohio is the reddest. Iowa and Florida are close seconds. 

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and even Arizona and Nevada are all bluer. 

Edited by tgo

1 hour ago, tgo said:

The poll you just posted says Biden and Warren are a statistical dead heat in Ohio.