Democratic Nomination for 2020 - UPDATED to include those who have officially announced

Legaltitan

12 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

70 k votes over 3 states. This isn’t a macro argument. Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million. 

Hey Touched The Tard, involuntary celibate. Those two words are harsh aren't they? 

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amigo, there has to be a transition that isn’t strictly Medicare for All, regardless of how the bill is written. I’ve supported Medicare for All for a long time now. I still support it. When speaking

I know some people don't want to hear it, but it's going to be Bernie and if it is, he's gonna win. 

Posted Images

People thinking blue votes don't matter in red states is how Republicans also end up controlling state congresses so that they can be in charge of drawing districts and passing shitty laws that supress votes. 

It isn't so long ago that Clinton won Tennessee. Now democrats consider it a lost cause and not even worth fighting for. That didn't happen by accident. 

My whole thing is given we know that milquetoast candidates will fail to drive progressive turnout in swing states we should make sure to nominate candidates that can fire people up. That doesn't necessarily mean a firebrand lefty. Barack Obama did it and he's not one.

Al Gore, John Kerry, and Hillary Clinton failed. Obama looks like a complete political unicorn at the moment. It's early but it looks like Joe Biden would fail to excite young or progressive voters. That's a crucial part of the "Obama coalition" he likely will fail to excite. Kamala Harris as VP ain't gonna make one bit of difference. Losing young and progressive voters is one of the problems Hillary had.

Of course, being a white man who's not going to trigger the working class white men's racism and sexism bones will help him a lot. Hillary actually ran a very progressive campaign in regards to social issues and I can't see Biden doing that unless he's feeling vulnerable.

Edited by Titans279

6 hours ago, Titans279 said:

It's early but it looks like Joe Biden would fail to excite young or progressive voters.

He's not going to, Trump is. 

Trump and the republicans are stealing the future of young voters via lack of attention to climate change and running up the debt that they must pay off.  If they can't see that already, then I'm not sure any candidate can motivate them.

11 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

People thinking blue votes don't matter in red states is how Republicans also end up controlling state congresses so that they can be in charge of drawing districts and passing shitty laws that supress votes. 

It isn't so long ago that Clinton won Tennessee. Now democrats consider it a lost cause and not even worth fighting for. That didn't happen by accident. 

I'm not talking about state elections. We're talking about the presidential election.  You presume anyone that states "my vote doesn't count" thinks this way regarding all elections and that is simply not true.

3 hours ago, ctm said:

Trump and the republicans are stealing the future of young voters via lack of attention to climate change and running up the debt that they must pay off.  If they can't see that already, then I'm not sure any candidate can motivate them.

What's Joe Biden's solution to climate change and the national debt..?

In normal times Biden is def a shitty candidate, he's been a joke presidential candidate in the past when he was in his prime. 

What Trump has taught everyone is the country is way more racist/prejudice than anyone dreamed. 

Biden is an old white guy, that goes a real long way 

2 hours ago, Titans279 said:

What's Joe Biden's solution to climate change and the national debt..?

Regarding climate change, he called for a “climate revolution” last week and plans to release his climate plan in the coming weeks, as he released his education plan last week.

He actually proposed sweeping climate change action in the Senate in 1986 btw, and is one of the early climate change pioneers in American politics. 

And regarding the debt, he’s recently spoken about some really reasonable methods for raising revenues that would reduce deficits, like increasing capital gains tax substantially and repealing the Trump tax cuts.

Any other questions? 

11 minutes ago, tgo said:

Regarding climate change, he called for a “climate revolution” last week and plans to release his climate plan in the coming weeks, as he released his education plan last week.

He actually proposed sweeping climate change action in the Senate in 1986 btw, and is one of the early climate change pioneers in American politics. 

And regarding the debt, he’s recently spoken about some really reasonable methods for raising revenues that would reduce deficits, like increasing capital gains tax substantially and repealing the Trump tax cuts.

Any other questions? 

Yes, I still have a lot of questions. There's not a lot of specifics there.

I knew he was going to release a middle of the road climate plan soon. I'm pretty interested to hear about it! I'm not optimistic about it just because he's not one to advocate anything big. I bet it leans heavily on natural gas since his climate advisor got $1 million being on the board of a natural gas company, which also fits with it also appealing to the blue collar types.

As for the debt, I'm guessing those changes won't make a big dent.

Both are issues where the specifics matter a ton. You can't just address them with a one sentence plan.

17 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Yes, I still have a lot of questions. There's not a lot of specifics there.

I knew he was going to release a middle of the road climate plan soon. I'm pretty interested to hear about it! I'm not optimistic about it just because he's not one to advocate anything big. I bet it leans heavily on natural gas since his climate advisor got $1 million being on the board of a natural gas company, which also fits with it also appealing to the blue collar types.

As for the debt, I'm guessing those changes won't make a big dent.

Both are issues where the specifics matter a ton. You can't just address them with a one sentence plan.

Any plan that doesnt lean on natural gas in the near term and heavily on nuclear is unrealistic anyway. 

Here’s the thing about all the specific plans all these candidates are putting out: none of them have a snowball’s chance in hell of passing in Congress so the specifics don’t even matter, I’ve learned that over time observing politics. Specifics have to be negotiated with Congress and the associated committees later on. It’s just an exercise in showing that you’re thorough and are placing an emphasis on any given issue

But Biden is releasing his platform in phases though. He’s only released his education plan so far and I find it to be extraordinarily specific with specific funding provisions as well. 

What changes would make a big dent in the deficit in your estimation btw? Spending trillions and trillions more per year on domestic programs and taxing the rich at 70%? Seizing the means of production? 

It’s interesting how so many people are acting like Biden is a conservative Democrat or something. He’s very liberal. 

There are 5 or 6 candidates in the race that are to the right of Biden. Just because  he’s not a full blown communist or an anti capitalist extremist doesn’t mean he’s somehow not suitable to be the party’s nominee. 

And yes, he’s not saying stupid shit like what Buttigieg said recently that we should remove Thomas Jefferson’s name from buildings or what others are saying about paying reparations. Sorry but 75% of America doesn’t believe in that. 

There’s a whole swath of progressive things that can realistically be done to move the country forward without being on the extreme left on every single issue. But when these sorts of extreme agendas are pushed vehemently, it compromises the party’s actual ability to make real progress. 

Edited by tgo

14 minutes ago, tgo said:

It’s interesting how so many people are acting like Biden is a conservative Democrat or something. He’s very liberal. 

It doesn't matter because people are voting against Trump

But the argument Biden is some liberal democrat he has to argue he changed with the times because his record speaks otherwise. Voted for the Iraq war, the Hill/Thomas stuff, anti gay marriage, toadie for the banking industry etc......

16 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

It doesn't matter because people are voting against Trump

But the argument Biden is some liberal democrat he has to argue he changed with the times because his record speaks otherwise. Voted for the Iraq war, the Hill/Thomas stuff, anti gay marriage, toadie for the banking industry etc......

Every politician changes with the times, otherwise they don’t stay politicians for long. 

Anti gay marriage? He was one of the first major voices in the Dem Party to come out in favor of it, which pissed off the Obama admin bc he got in front of them on the issue. 

And yeah Biden is the only candidate that realizes that the issues aren’t the driving force of this election, beating Trump is. 

Which is why he consistently says “the first step of my climate/education/insert issue here plan is Beat Donald Trump” 

As I’ve expounded on before, this election isn’t about issues - it’s about restoring our democracy, stabilizing the country, restoring our standing/leadership in the world, and restoring our institutions/rebuilding government agencies. 

Edited by tgo

The plans the candidates are laying out now are nothing more than debating points that give you a very general idea of the philosophy of the candidate.

What ultimately matters is what will pass congress once they are elected, which probably bears little resemblance to the current plans.

If you want to know where a candidate really stands, then ask them what will be their legislative priority.....aka the first bill submitted to congress.  That will tell you what they think is important.