Democratic Nomination for 2020 - UPDATED to include those who have officially announced

Legaltitan

An antitrust professor identified a very simple and effective way to tell which is which: in any given case, look at who’s doing the complaining. The consumers or customers of a business tend to complain about anti-competitive behavior. The competitors of a business tend to complain about pro-competitive behavior.

Applying this test, Amazon doesn't fit. But Facebook kind of does. Google is somewhere in the middle, but closer to Amazon than Facebook.

Cyrus, one specific thing she mentioned about Amazon is that it runs the platform for the third-party sellers, and then it collects all the data and analyzes it, and can find out which products are profitable. Once it identifies a profitable market, it can then enter that market through sales of its own products, thereby driving out the competitor. When you look at it that way, that does seem like classic monopolistic behavior. These companies are so different from traditional, old economy large companies that it can be difficult to analyze under the way we have normally analyzed these things. But the example she gave sort of makes this look like classic anti-competitive behavior.

But then one critical difference to note is that the barriers to entry are so so much lower in the new economy than the old economy. It doesn't take a lot of start-up capital to sell stuff on Amazon, or even design an app to sell on Google play, or whatever. That brings us back to Facebook - there are significant barriers to entry for a new social media company.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amigo, there has to be a transition that isn’t strictly Medicare for All, regardless of how the bill is written. I’ve supported Medicare for All for a long time now. I still support it. When speaking

I know some people don't want to hear it, but it's going to be Bernie and if it is, he's gonna win. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, oldschool said:

If that's the barometer better not elect a woman either. Amirite?

Honestly, if you put a gun to my head I am not certain who would rouse more opposition -  a gay man or a straight woman.

I said years ago we would have a black president before we have a woman president. And I'm not so sure we couldn't have a gay president before a woman.

America has a real woman in leadership problem. Interesting he brought up the Middle East, because other than the Middle East and perhaps some Asian countries, America is one of the least supportive countries of women in power. Women have led countries around the world for decades, but there seems to be a real glass ceiling here. Difficult to say how hard that ceiling is, as the only woman who has tested this theory is Clinton who has high negatives. Two things about that: (1) it is pretty telling that only one woman has had any shot at all at being President, and she is the wife of a President; and (2) arguably those negatives, which are real, were greatly enhanced because she is a woman.

16 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I was just thinking how easily O'Rourke could get under Trump's skin.

Imagine a debate between the two:

O'Rourke:  Trump does have a valid point.   As my grandfather (look over and smile at Trump) used to say......

O'Rourke (after asked to say something positive about opponent) :  I think its is good that President Trump plays golf so much, more than he is in the White House even.  I am always encouraging my grandfather to remain active and think it is important for seniors to remain active. (Look over to smile), you are doing a good job in your Golden Years. 

Edited by 9 Nines

1 hour ago, 9 Nines said:

I was just thinking how easily O'Rourke could get under Trump's skin.

Imagine a debate between the two:

O'Rourke:  Trump does have a valid point.   As my grandfather (look over and smile at Trump) used to say......

O'Rourke (after asked to say something positive about opponent) :  I think its is good that President Trump plays golf so much, more than he is in the White House even.  I am always encouraging my grandfather to remain active and think it is important for seniors to remain active. (Look over to smile), you are doing a good job in your Golden Years

So O'Rourke get some zingers in and becomes President. What next? The calculus isn't just strategy and winning, it's leadership and governance. I'm more interested in Biden in either circumstance.

Edited by Cyrus

20 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

Honestly, if you put a gun to my head I am not certain who would rouse more opposition -  a gay man or a straight woman.

I said years ago we would have a black president before we have a woman president. And I'm not so sure we couldn't have a gay president before a woman.

America has a real woman in leadership problem. Interesting he brought up the Middle East, because other than the Middle East and perhaps some Asian countries, America is one of the least supportive countries of women in power. Women have led countries around the world for decades, but there seems to be a real glass ceiling here. Difficult to say how hard that ceiling is, as the only woman who has tested this theory is Clinton who has high negatives. Two things about that: (1) it is pretty telling that only one woman has had any shot at all at being President, and she is the wife of a President; and (2) arguably those negatives, which are real, were greatly enhanced because she is a woman.

The misogyny jumps off the page here as soon as any woman's name hits the news.....AOC, Warren, Harris, Klobuchar, etc.

1 hour ago, Pragidealist said:

Do you have a favorite?

I like some better than others.  But I'm also trying my best not to form a definite opinion, let the process play out and see what everyone has to say and how they perform under pressure when mistakes inevitably happen.