Democratic Nomination for 2020 - UPDATED to include those who have officially announced

Legaltitan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amigo, there has to be a transition that isn’t strictly Medicare for All, regardless of how the bill is written. I’ve supported Medicare for All for a long time now. I still support it. When speaking

I know some people don't want to hear it, but it's going to be Bernie and if it is, he's gonna win. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

If it was just Penn pitching a Clinton run I would agree. There has been noise about it from multiple sources for the last few months. Hopefully logic prevails because if the Dems trot her out again it will end badly.

What do you mean "Dems trot her out?" If Hillary wants to run, what do you propose the Democratic Party do about it? Tackle her?

IF Hillary runs, it will be up to the voters to decide if she is the nominee. And I guarantee she won't have all the elected officials line up to endorse her immediately.

The Democratic Party deserves a ton of criticism, but this is like the third place I have read someone say "How stupid is the Democratic Party for putting Hillary up for the nominee?" I mean, that makes no sense. Sure, behind the scenes they can embolden her or they can try to dissuade her, but ultimately if she runs for the nomination that is up to her, and whether or not she wins the nomination is up to the voters.

Edited by Legaltitan

17 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

What do you mean "Dems trot her out?" If Hillary wants to run, what do you propose the Democratic Party do about it? Tackle her?

IF Hillary runs, it will be up to the voters to decide if she is the nominee. And I guarantee she won't have all the elected officials line up to endorse her immediately.

The Democratic Party deserves a ton of criticism, but this is like the third place I have read someone say "How stupid is the Democratic Party for putting Hillary up for the nominee?" I mean, that makes no sense. Sure, behind the scenes they can embolden her or they can try to dissuade her, but ultimately if she runs for the nomination that is up to her, and whether or not she wins the nomination is up to the voters.

It wasn’t up to the voters last time around.

29 minutes ago, Justafan said:

It wasn’t up to the voters last time around.

Yes it was. She won the primaries. Believing otherwise is just falling for the same propaganda that got trump elected.

7 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

She won the votes in the primary

Doesn't change the fact that it was decided in a back room and not through a democratic process.  It's not illegal.  The DNC has the right to push forward their candidate but pretending like there was a fair process when there really wasn't is pretty unethical.  

46 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Not this again... the DNC and RNC can push whomever they want and it happens every cycle. Ask bernie bros why they are so mad? it's not because bernie didn't get the votes. It's because they felt like the DNC favored Clinton which is exactly why the DNC exists. Trump somehow managed to win the nomination despite the RNC working against him but thats an anomaly. 

Just now, Justafan said:

Doesn't change the fact that it was decided in a back room and not through a democratic process.  It's not illegal.  The DNC has the right to push forward their candidate but pretending like there was a fair process when there really wasn't is pretty unethical.  

The process is fair. Its by design. 

I don't think the "DNC" decided to push Hillary so much as Hillary consolidated support from enough of the big names (behind the scenes donors and interest groups) that no one challenged her and thus she became the favorite of the establishment. The order is a bit off when you say that the party decided to pick Hillary.

Another thing people forget is that Hillary's favoribility ratings were extremely positive before the email scandal started to break. Backing her seemed smart then when all the pre-primary talk was going on. Her favoribility was in the 60s and she was polling way higher than any of her challengers.

spzchdnjfeqe5rnewjnqng.png

And even then Biden might have still done it if his son hadn't died which would have split the establishment support between the Clinton and Obama sides.

This year Hillary wouldn't have the consolidated support of the establishment so it wouldn't be what people call "the DNC" pushing her. 

Edited by Titans279

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

Not this again... the DNC and RNC can push whomever they want and it happens every cycle. 

Yes, I know this. Who do you feel is "pushing" Hillary Clinton? Because I see the opposite - I see folks trying to push her out. And one of her loyalists - or 5 of her loyalists - saying she is going to run again does not change anything.

And I see your Bernie, and raise you an Obama. 2008 was really supposed to be Hillary's turn, and Obama crashed the party because his team out-hustled, out-raised, and out-worked her.

The lesson of Bernie, IMO, is not one of the party picking Hillary over Bernie. The lesson of Bernie is, despite the party clearing the decks for Hillary, Bernie still took her down to the wire and almost won the nomination.

Plus didn't they get rid of the super delegates anyway?

1 hour ago, Titans279 said:

I don't think the "DNC" decided to push Hillary so much as Hillary consolidated support from enough of the big names (behind the scenes donors and interest groups) that no one challenged her and thus she became the favorite of the establishment.

Yes. It is a subtle difference, but a difference.

There is zero chance the forces that came together to allow Hillary to (barely) win the nomination in 2016 will come together again. There will be real players throwing in their hats this time. If she is even thinking about it, she won't when she sees the possibility of being totally embarased. 

On 11/8/2018 at 7:47 PM, Legaltitan said:

Zero chance Michelle ever gets in. 

What is this phenomenon lately with everyone wanting someone’s husband/Wife/kid to be president

rightys all hit and bothered thinking about ivanka running

always hear “Michelle should run”

lol wtf

6 hours ago, Justafan said:

This is ridiculous and the same old non-factual argument.

The voters picked Hillary over Bernie fair and square. You may not like how the DNC was aligned behind her behind the scenes but they never actively interfered in the election to push her over Bernie. She largely defeated Bernie in non-caucus states and he won most of the caucuses.

In the end it wasn’t even that close, just closer than most people expected. She got 54% of the pledged delegates so the superdelegates weren’t even a deciding factor. When Obama beat Hillary in 2008 it was truly close.