Democratic Nomination for 2020 - UPDATED to include those who have officially announced

Legaltitan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amigo, there has to be a transition that isn’t strictly Medicare for All, regardless of how the bill is written. I’ve supported Medicare for All for a long time now. I still support it. When speaking

I know some people don't want to hear it, but it's going to be Bernie and if it is, he's gonna win. 

Posted Images

Just now, No1TitansFan said:

Obama has kept his really good vast online empire intact. It will be interesting to see whom he decides to throw it behind, if anyone, in a multi candidate race.

I assume he will largely stay out of the nomination process and jump in once the voters decide, same as 2016

30 minutes ago, ctm said:

He gave up his House seat to run for Senate.  He's unemployed as of January.

I was right before I was wrong again, thanks for the correction

I don't know if beto wants to run for president ever but if he does his time is now. 

The 15 to 20 heavyweights he would have to beat includes the likes of Warren Biden Hillary and some total had been and never were 

I'm not betting on him but I wouldn't bet against him. 

1 hour ago, Legaltitan said:

I don't know if beto wants to run for president ever but if he does his time is now. 

The 15 to 20 heavyweights he would have to beat includes the likes of Warren Biden Hillary and some total had been and never were 

I'm not betting on him but I wouldn't bet against him. 

This.  If Beto caught fire early in the process as a uniquely inspirational, unencumbered "let's leave this mess and go forward" type of candidate that would be difficult to beat.  (I hope) America is tired of the bs, fighting divisiveness, but going back (Biden) might not be appealing either.  Also, basic truth has been battered so much recently that voters are weary, however, Beto's main quality might just be his sincerity.  As far as qualifications, we've experienced the least qualified prez in recent memory, so I don't think that will be considered a huge negative.

For what it's worth, 538 has a list for us of potential candidates. He rates the likelihood they are running based on factors such as visiting early primary states, etc. Bernie has the highest score, which is no surprise. Biden, too. After that, one of the highest scores is Bullock, which is the Governor of Montana I've been trying to start a conversation about. The more I hear about him, the more I like him.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whos-behaving-like-a-2020-presidential-candidate/

Edited by Legaltitan

Eric Swalwell is running

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/08/eric-swalwell-president-2020-975846

Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell plans to run for president in 2020, according to a person close to the California congressman who is familiar with his plans. 

“He’s definitely running,” the source said. 

This weekend, Swalwell will be the first potential presidential candidate to visit Iowa after the midterms with a trip to meet the Asian & Latino Coalition in Des Moines and Iowa Democratic Party chairs in Dubuque. The travel to Iowa was first reported by NBC News and confirmed by POLITICO.

The 37-year-old Swalwell has been positioning himself for a run over the past year, with several trips to early primary voting states and endorsements of three young congressional candidates in Iowa and New Hampshire through his Future Forum PAC. He has also asked for lists of potential staffers for the early-state contests.

1 hour ago, Legaltitan said:

For what it's worth, 538 has a list for us of potential candidates. He rates the likelihood they are running based on factors such as visiting early primary states, etc. Bernie has the highest score, which is no surprise. Biden, too. After that, one of the highest scores is Bullock, which is the Governor of Montana I've been trying to start a conversation about. The more I hear about him, the more I like him.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whos-behaving-like-a-2020-presidential-candidate/

Good bio for Bullock especially on Citizens United.  I'd like to hear him speak and see how he handles a crowd.  A sitting governor candidate offers a lot of strategic advantages.

10 minutes ago, ctm said:

Good bio for Bullock especially on Citizens United.  I'd like to hear him speak and see how he handles a crowd.  A sitting governor candidate offers a lot of strategic advantages.

Agreed.  Depends on a state's specific government structure, but usually Governors have way more opportunities at impactful decision making and leadership vs a beltway congressperson who has to focus on consensus building.  Then there's the whole "I'm an outsider" play to Washington politics that's always well received by constituents.

1 hour ago, ctm said:

Good bio for Bullock especially on Citizens United.  I'd like to hear him speak and see how he handles a crowd.  

Apparently, very well. At the governor's conference, the then-current president, I think governor of NM, was sick or something and had to bow out of the meeting and it was sort of ruderless until Bullock stepped up and took the reigns and kind of caught a little fire. Retail politics apparently is his thing.