Fortnite Battle Royale Thread

Jonboy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do not.... I repeat... DO NOT SAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD IN THE PROFILE. Skins are outfits that you can wear and are bought in the store by using vbucks. Kids are known for racking up tons and tons of $ on

I doubt you guys know how hard I've worked at this, but... it's taken a lot of work to get it done. Consistently living to the final few without killing took some work. Been practicing various strateg

Here ya go, @StephenIsLegend

2 hours ago, patsplat said:

Prefer small squad ie Counter Strike, Splatoon, and Overwatch.

I loved counter strike back in the day.

They need to update it and come out with a new one.

I'm toying with the idea of switching to PC as my primary platform for Fortnite. It's just such a massive learning curve for someone who has been a lifelong console gamer. Fortnite probably isn't the best game to learn either because of the complex controls with building.

Anyway, I've been trying it out in playground mode, 50v50, and some solos as well. Aiming with the mouse is obviously a massive upgrade. That's the one area I can tell I'm better already. My skill level in everything else though is way worse than it is on console. I build like a total noob and switch to the wrong weapon constantly.

On console, we're so used to our thumbs and index fingers doing all of the work that it's somewhat of an information overload when you suddenly have to use all 5 fingers on your left hand. I made a brief attempt to switch a few months ago, but quickly just went back to console where I was familiar. Going to try and stick it out a little longer this time to see if I can start improving and getting a better feel for it.

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

when you suddenly have to use all 5 fingers on your left hand. I made a brief attempt to switch a few months ago, but quickly just went back to console where I was familiar. Going to try and stick it out a little longer this time to see if I can start improving and getting a better feel for it.

Since I started PC gaming I have not bothered to ever attempt to play an RPG on console again... Having all the shortcuts mapped to different keys makes games like Witcher with all the menus and sub-menus so much more enjoyable. It's honestly the best part of keyboard and mouse lol

Social games like Rocket League or Halo are great on Xbox (since I'm not some competitive shooter) still though

Edited by wiscotitansfan

2 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Isn't that the case with CS:GO?

That came out for the xbox 360. I mean one for the current console generation. Or for PCs.

I haven't had a PC in a decade. But CS on the pc vs console is no contest. PC version was way better.

1 minute ago, WG53 said:

That came out for the xbox 360. I mean one for the current console generation. Or for PCs.

Didn't realize that it was that old. I know it is still alive and kicking on Steam so just figured that it was like a games as a service type thing meaning that is just had many massive updates keeping it relevant

Edited by wiscotitansfan

9 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Since I started PC gaming I have not bothered to ever attempt to play an RPG on console again... Having all the shortcuts mapped to different keys makes games like Witcher with all the menus and sub-menus so much more enjoyable. It's honestly the best part of keyboard and mouse lol

Social games like Rocket League or Halo are great on Xbox (since I'm not some competitive shooter) still though

Oh yeah, I'm sure once it clicks, it feels amazing. Part of the reason I keep trying to give it a shot. How long did it take you to get used to using a lot of hotkeys? Q, E, R, and C aren't so bad, but a lot of the other keys are harder for me to hit. Right now I have my weapons on the number keys and that's probably what's tripping me up the most. I keep hitting 1 instead of 2 and not sure if I'm on 3 or 4 with the index finger.

I've read a lot of accounts of people who've switched and the consensus just seems to be "stick with it" and it will eventually click.

Haven't played on a console since just after the turn of the century.  Think the game Driver was the last game I played on a Playstation.  Some games on the PC I have used a gamepad/controller before, but I always go back to the keyboard/mouse eventually.

12 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Oh yeah, I'm sure once it clicks, it feels amazing. Part of the reason I keep trying to give it a shot. How long did it take you to get used to using a lot of hotkeys? Q, E, R, and C aren't so bad, but a lot of the other keys are harder for me to hit. Right now I have my weapons on the number keys and that's probably what's tripping me up the most. I keep hitting 1 instead of 2 and not sure if I'm on 3 or 4 with the index finger.

I've read a lot of accounts of people who've switched and the consensus just seems to be "stick with it" and it will eventually click.

Honestly I don't play enough shooters for it to matter, I play Destiny a lot but it's mostly PvE so I don't need the instaneous reflexes like you do against humans.

My biggest piece of advice is to get a solid gaming mouse that has at least half a dozen extra buttons on it (mine has a total of like 17 buttons but I only use about 10). I never take my middle finger off W/S when in shooters and still have access to every command.

https://www.amazon.com/ROCCAT-Tyon-Black-Action-Multi-Button/dp/B00MSOIUOO This is the one I use but it's nothing great

When I am in the menus and sub-menus I usually just apply random corner keys on the keyboard so I can use my right hand to hit it without having to look down... Examples - "Num pad Enter, + and -", Right Ctrl, Backspace, Page up, Page Down etc.... I use the same binding for the same concept between games, like inventory is always "Num Pad -" for me.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

15 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Right now I have my weapons on the number keys and that's probably what's tripping me up the most. I keep hitting 1 instead of 2 and not sure if I'm on 3 or 4 with the index finger

I always just use the mouse wheel for that, 2 clicks down and I know I'll be at power weapon or whatever fortnites configs are

6 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I always just use the mouse wheel for that, 2 clicks down and I know I'll be at power weapon or whatever fortnites configs are

Ah. Could definitely be a PVP vs PVE issue then. Fortnite has the mousewheel scrolling for weapons but none of the best players use it because it's more reliable & faster to use a dedicated key. 

I have a mouse I like pretty well right now. I prefer the simpler/lighter mice, but that comes with the trade-off of only having 2 side buttons. I already have those mapped to building for Fortnite.

Epic did finally add a "sprint by default" option, which freed up shift to be used for something other than sprint. What do you use to crouch in Destiny? I think most people use CTRL, but reaching for that button with my pinky just doesn't feel right. I have it on shift right now in Fortnite.

15 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

What do you use to crouch in Destiny? I think most people use CTRL, but reaching for that button with my pinky just doesn't feel right. I have it on shift right now in Fortnite.

I always have sprint and crouch as side buttons on my mouse for that very reason, I feel I have less control for the other buttons by always hovering my pinky above ctrl

The buttons I have on my mouse are normal left/right click, sprint, crouch, reload, super, change guns, select items then the hotkeys I use with my left hand are only Q (grenade) and B (dodge) for the most part.

The rest of the hotkeys I have are scattered on very distinguishable keys on the keyboard that I access with my right hand since I play mostly PvE.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

7 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Isn't that the case with CS:GO?

7 hours ago, WG53 said:

I haven't had a PC in a decade. But CS on the pc vs console is no contest. PC version was way better.

There's not a lot of objective, squad based games.

counter-strike had objectives + an economy

team fortress had classes

battlefield made everything huge

halo and call of duty made everything death match

overwatch is the most recent game that feels closer to counter-strike, but is quite different.

never played battleborn, feel like it deserves a shot.