Going to be on 102.5 The Game at 10:15 AM today

NewsToTom

1 hour ago, japan said:

Spain isn't a fit for this scheme.  He's as good as gone at this point.

Speaking of Spain, Beddingfield was breaking down how Spain has done better than any of the other interior guys at transitioning to the zone blocking scheme and is the best run blocker on the interior as well. Says in the run game, the left side of the line is much better than the right.  

Spain ran all zone during his college career btw. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tuned in late, but the big takeaway for me, which was really enlightening was how when Shanahan took over as OC in ATL after the Mularkey/Koetter offense (different offenses in some respects I know, b

Haven't been posting here much, because Reasons, but thought I'd let people know I'll be doing a hit with 102.5's Midday Show. We'll be talking Titans of some sort or another.

I mean, getting Michael Jordan to play both center and guard seems to be a no-brainer.  

Spain played in a zone blocking scheme in college.  He is at least twice as good as Kline.  Jones is a huge issue as well.  Low snaps blown assignments.  He may be a serviceable backup and that’s about it.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:13 AM, Nash said:

Has anyone looked at the film?? We've all seen the Ravens' pass rush failing but wasn't aware that Jones wasn't performing.. 

I couldn’t watch live, so I dvr’d the game and watched with special attention on the O Line in light of the Ravens fiasco. If there was penetration, it seemed to my eyes to be Jones’ man 3 out of 5 times. He was terrible in the Chargers game.

None of the OL have been great this year....but when I've reviewed plays with obvious OL breakdowns to see what happened,  it seems like 80% of them are on either Kline or Jones getting pushed backward or chasing their guy while he blows up the play.

20 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Really, you should move over to gotitans with that kind of analysis.  If anything Levin has proven how good Spain is.  But the fact you actually thought Levin was put in to replace Spain and not because Spain had a shoulder injury just proves you are clueless. 

I'm saying that Spain is a goner regardless of how Levin plays.  If you think otherwise then you don't know much.  And they obviously value Kline and his ability to pull over Spain.  Ideally, all three interior positions are replaced in the offseason but that rarely happens.  I assume Kline sticks and Jones and Spain are replaced.

Edited by japan

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

That would be real smart.  Kick out the best OG and keep the guy who has been getting run over all year. 

Right now Spain is the 14th ranked OG.  Kline is 40th.  Maybe we should find another OG like Spain. 

And by the way as horrible as Jones has seemed to be he is the 14th ranked C which puts him right in the middle of the pack.

Thus, of the three interior guys Kline is the ONE guy who should be upgraded the most and he is the guy you would keep?

Yep, that is the ticket to the SB.  Get rid of your best players and make sure you keep the shitty ones.  Works every time.

Every single argument you post sounds like a fourth grader who isn’t getting their way. 

6 hours ago, nine said:

None of the OL have been great this year....but when I've reviewed plays with obvious OL breakdowns to see what happened,  it seems like 80% of them are on either Kline or Jones getting pushed backward or chasing their guy while he blows up the play.

It is entirely possible that Spain is the better pass blocker and Kline is a better puller/ZB.  Or that Kline gets pushed around dealing with bull rush and Spain doesn't.

In a Zone scheme mobility is valued over size and stationary power almost universally.  Spain has shown time and again he can be dominant in Pass Pro.  The guy is hard to move. 

In that Tweet of Baldy's pointing out Mariota's athleticism Spain puts two Eagles' defenders on the ground, obliterating the guy that got past Lewan.

I don't think Spain is going anywhere unless he wants out.  He and Lewan make a pretty damned good left side.

3 hours ago, Soxcat said:

That would be real smart.  Kick out the best OG and keep the guy who has been getting run over all year. 

Right now Spain is the 14th ranked OG.  Kline is 40th.  Maybe we should find another OG like Spain. 

And by the way as horrible as Jones has seemed to be he is the 14th ranked C which puts him right in the middle of the pack.

Thus, of the three interior guys Kline is the ONE guy who should be upgraded the most and he is the guy you would keep?

Yep, that is the ticket to the SB.  Get rid of your best players and make sure you keep the shitty ones.  Works every time.

Unfortunately I think we're stuck with Kline due to his contract structure. 

You're right though - Spain and Jones are average and Kline is terrible outside of pulling. 

But in the immediate future, it seems like the only option for upgrading the interior is to upgrade those two spots. Unfortunately. 

That said, I'd unload that Kline contract in the 2020 offseason if he doesn't drastically improve. 

Edited by tgo

13 hours ago, tgo said:

What’s frustrating is that we’d have been better off starting Sims and giving Suh an extra 3 mil. or paying a receiver. 

In fairness money wasn't the reason Suh went to LA. Technically yes, if we paid him enough he obviously would've come here. But I doubt we would've just blown everybody out of the water & overpaid Suh even if we didn't give out these contracts.

In fairness to Robinson to, I can't really rip him for Kline. Maybe you can question Butler, he did fall off last year though he was still good. But Kline has been as rock solid as it gets in pass pro the last 2 years here. All you can do is go by what you see on the field. 

Its hard to figure football at times. This is why I used to defend Webster sometimes. Warmack for example. If you want to criticize taking a guard that high, that's one thing. But no one could've predicted he'd be so bad. He was utterly dominant in college & being called the best guard prospect in years. 

All you can do is go by the information you have. How is Robert Woods a star WR now when he was a total dude for 4 years in Buffalo? There's a lot of luck in talent acquisition.