2 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

There's no shame in saying that he has his fair share of WTF moments that lay solely on him and he still has lots of learning to do.

This is a kid who got his bachelor's degree (with a solid B average) in General Science/Human Physiology in 3-1/2 years while devoting enough time to football to win every bowl game, every year he played except one, and win MVP of all of those he won.

Awards?

Maxwell Award

Walter camp Award

Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award

Davey O'Brien Award

AP College POY

Heisman trophy

And play well enough to take his team to the National Championship.

And still graduated early with a 3.22 GPA.

He's spent as much time in the NFL as he did in college so,...

If he hasn't learned it, he wasn't taught it.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

7 hours ago, japan said:

Ha ha. I did think about you when I heard that. I always thought that your point was that they would be running him like they did RG3 which is not the case. 

When I originally posted the RG comparison I mentioned RG actually had passing success as a rookie. 

I believe if MM was in  a program like St Louis or Philly from the get go and had that talent and focus on player development around him... that he'd absolutely be putting up the same numbers as those QBs

Mahomes is in another world now. I'm sure that will come back to earth. But no he's not in that league.. not he's not in brady, rodgers, brees, rivers or even big bens, leagues... but i dont believe that either wentz or goff are either despite their numbers. Dont get me wrong, I think they are great players and being developed incredibly... 

i just think its more about great systems, great coaching/teaching, and great surrounding talent. 

so elite right now? no. but he's much closer than we think and he doesnt shit the bed during crunch time (4th Q and 3rd down) 

1 hour ago, wiscotitansfan said:

@TitanDuckFan What does any of that have to do with Mariota still having a lot of work to do to be in that upper tier that you think he's not in yet because those around him?

You said he has a lot of learning to do yet.  I say if that's so, it's because he was never taught, or the tools haven't been available to teach him.

Or he already knows it and it's others who need to catch up.

He's capable of learning a lot in a short amount of time obviously.  Why do you say he still needs to learn these things in year 4?

He has a combination of physical talent and motivation and work ethic that not many people possess.  He's proven it.

The tools needed are the players around him.  The coaches that should have been teaching him.  The systems and processes that should have been built upon one another.

Have they been as consistent as everyone says Marcus needs to be?

I doubt it.  He's been yanked one way and then another.

Walker made it to the Pro Bowl 3 years running.  How did he do that with a shit QB, or an inconsistent QB throwing the passes?  He's smaller and slower than some TEs.  Not the dominant presence that Gronk or Kelce is, yet,...

How is it that his performances have been so consistent for 3 years, but everyone is bitching Marcus is not consistent, when Marcus is the one throwing him the passes?

The same QB throws passes to Corey, Sharpe, Taywan, Stocker, Firkser and Jonnu.  He also threw to Wright, and Hunter and Douglas and DGB and Matthews and Decker et al.

Was he only consistent with Delanie?  With Matthews? Matthews had his best-ever season with Marcus throwing too, just like Delanie.  More yards, more TDs More FDs and longer completions.

Do you REALLY believe that a QB can be that bad with some receivers and that good with others, and it's all on the QB?

When have you ever seen a QB that connects consistently with only one or two receivers, if all the receivers are equally as good and equally as consistent themselves?

IOW, what makes you think Marcus is the one with everything to learn? 

Edited by TitanDuckFan

8 minutes ago, Pray_iv_m3rcy said:

I just don't understand why some of you guys get so worked up over the people that already believe in Mariota. Some ppl have the belief that a lot of the problems are not on him while others think most of it is on him. So it really goes both ways. You wanna call out the so called homers for Mariota than you need to also recognize the haters that pop up in here every time he has a bad game.

Na, there ia only

Black and white

Wet and dry

Good and evil

American and Mexican

Count me in as also a homer because I believe Mariota is the best thing that could have ever happened for this franchise. 

Its no coincidence that none of Mariota's previous coaching staff has any influence over qbs aside from Ken W who got fired halfway through his first season. 

He has shown enough in my eyes in a terrible environment that he will thrive in a great one. 

20 minutes ago, Pray_iv_m3rcy said:

I just don't understand why some of you guys get so worked up over the people that already believe in Mariota. Some ppl have the belief that a lot of the problems are not on him while others think most of it is on him. So it really goes both ways. You wanna call out the so called homers for Mariota than you need to also recognize the haters that pop up in here every time he has a bad game.

Haters have always gotten a pass around here.