How many of you are going to London?

helimachoptor

10 hours ago, begooode said:

And watch out crossing the street with those guys coming from the wrong side!

THIS!!!!   This cannot be stated strongly enough!

From the time they learn to walk, Americans are programmed to looking left as they step off the sidewalk and into the street.    We don't even think about it....it's 100% automatic and unconscious behavior.

Doing this in London can literally get you killed.   

Every American knows about driving on the opposite side of the street in England.  From a pedestrian's perspective, this means oncoming traffic is coming from the near right-hand side.  By looking to the left (as we've been programmed to do almost from  birth)...you're literally stepping out into traffic without looking, and you're doing this in one of the biggest and busiest cities in the world.....there's always a car coming from your right.

I was there for a week....it literally took me 5-6 days (and a dozen very close calls) to deprogram myself and get in the habit of looking to the right.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It has gotten so bad that when Oilerman found out the team was headed to London he went the opposite direction to Hawaii...

Wheels up to London. See you all there. 

That’s essentially what I’m doing. Baby due in december, so this is kind of my last hoorah for awhile. Staying in East London. Taking a day trip on Friday to calais, France, too. I’ve been to Europe b

My wife and I love London and very seriously considered going to this game.....but we decided London isn't the type of trip where we want to combine touristy stuff and football activities. 

London is a spectacular and fascinating city with a sense of history and tradition that utterly dwarfs the United States' concept of "history".   We decided that devoting a day to a decidedly "non-British" activity like American football would water down the overall experience.   If we're going to London, we're going there to see London....not football. 

3 hours ago, nine said:

THIS!!!!   This cannot be stated strongly enough!

From the time they learn to walk, Americans are programmed to looking left as they step off the sidewalk and into the street.    We don't even think about it....it's 100% automatic and unconscious behavior.

Doing this in London can literally get you killed.   

I damn near got ran over by a friggin double decker bus driving right up against the sidewalk.  seriously.

Edited by begooode

For people going across the pond. I highly recommend going north to the old Scapa Flow Naval base. They do (or at least did) allow people to go on diving charters and dive at all the shipwrecks. Included are several old WW1 era Dreadnaught Battleships from the British and German fleets of the day.

http://www.scapaflowwrecks.com/wrecks/

16 minutes ago, vires90 said:

Where can I get the tickets? also which is the titans sideline?

you'll get tickets around trafalgar square on saturday.

No idea on sideline, but it will be mostly chargers fans, other teams fans, then titans fans so doesnt make a difference where you sit really

I fly on Saturday morning. I go to London nearly every year so I’ll probably catch a premier league game on Saturday and then drink early Sunday morning. The barrow boy and banker in city centre is the official titans pub for the trip. Eddie George, Jevon Kearse and Bulluck will be appearing there starting thirsday

On 10/15/2018 at 11:39 AM, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

I was hoping to hit another country while I was there. Where would you recommend? Train from London to Paris is $370 and I’m not willing to spend that kind of money for a day trip. 

On 10/15/2018 at 12:24 PM, helimachoptor said:

Ryanair flight to Dublin?

Flight to Belgium and go to Bruges, Amsterdam is nice too 

On 10/15/2018 at 1:59 PM, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

Been to Amsterdam. I’ve looked at Ryanair flights and I don’t see anything appealing for the money. 

I was just over in Amsterdam and Bruges - really fun visits.  Paris only briefly though I always love Paris.  Guess you've been to Amsterdam, and Bruges probably not going to be an easy/direct/cheap flight.  I took the train.

Haven't been to Dublin in a long time but yeah that would be a rec of mine.  As would Edinburgh.  Great city.  Just looked and saw some reasonable flights to there, depends on your timing though.  How long you got?