Sign in to follow this  
wiscotitansfan

Milwaukee Brewers' Bullpen

I don't know if any of you guys have been watching the Brewers recently but their pitching has been the factor in getting Ws recently (and Yelich of course). They have been going to their bullpen SUPER SUPER early. Like if they have a lead, even by only a single run, they will take their starter out in the 3rd. I personally hate the strategy and think it cost them game 2 because Hader wasn't available.

Just curious what your guys' thoughts are on the chess match pitching strategy and if it will take off league-wide to rely on many guys who can string together a great inning compared to relying on starters (and the cost it takes to acquire these types of pitchers) much more and keeping them in longer.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

I think it's been happening most of the post season with the exception of a game here or there. Or depending in the pitchers going.

MILs starters are not their strength. Think I heard last game that Chacin is like the only one to pitch extended innings. 

I mean, you're going to have your Kershaws, Sales, Verlanders pitch as far as they can to give your BP a rest and because they are your best pitchers. Unless you have someone like a Ryu, Chacin, Porcello that's pitching a good game. 

But now we are at a point where every bat matters. You don't want the batters seeing guys (who arent great) 2, 3+ times. 

MIL has a lot of good arms in the pen. No reason they won't keep it up. And yes, other teams who haven't started will catch on. 

For example, the Astros (outside of when Verlander is pitching) seemed to have went to the bullpen early and consistently. Especially with being able to have both McHugh and McCullers come out of it. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if these AL and NLCS' are better watches than the Series. 

I find it hard seeing either of LAD or MIL knocking out BOS or HOU.

I'm in a fantasy playoff league that consists of 5 teams. My team is riddled with MIL and Dodgers players with the exception of a few Sox/Stros. Mostly Brewers so I'm pulling for them although I'd like to see Chado get a ring. Either way, I'm just rooting against BOS. 

Edited by JakePA_Titan

22 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

MILs starters are not their strength. Think I heard last game that Chacin is like the only one to pitch extended innings. 

I mean, you're going to have your Kershaws, Sales, Verlanders pitch as far as they can to give your BP a rest and because they are your best pitchers. Unless you have someone like a Ryu, Chacin, Porcello that's pitching a good game. 

That was the frustrating thing... Our starter for game 2 was pitching a phenomenal game, I think it was 4 2/3 (maybe 5 2/3) innings without a run and then he gives up a hit with 2 outs and the manager pulls him.

Of course we lost the game since we were short-handed since Hader went 3 innings the day before, it was frustrating as fuck that the manager got cute and stuck to what got us to where we are instead of feeling out the game and keeping Miley in to see if he could get that  last out.

The strategy does make sense though and interesting that it's utilized much more than I thought because very few teams have legit aces in their lineup so it's essentially a small-market way to compete in October. I just don't like the idea of needing the play the perfect chess game to be the proper result.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

14 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

I find it hard seeing either of LAD or MIL knocking out BOS or HOU. Either way, I'm just rooting against BOS. 

Boston did manage to avoid going down 0-2 yesterday, but hopefully the defending champs will take care of business at home.

Congrats to the Brew Crew for going up 2-1 today, if all goes well tomorrow afternoon the Astros can take the lead in their series too.

20 hours ago, Oiler FANatic said:

Boston did manage to avoid going down 0-2 yesterday, but hopefully the defending champs will take care of business at home.

Congrats to the Brew Crew for going up 2-1 today, if all goes well tomorrow afternoon the Astros can take the lead in their series too.

Maybe ya'll shouldn't have been talking shit to Boston. Might not win another game now....

On 10/15/2018 at 8:43 AM, wiscotitansfan said:

The strategy does make sense though and interesting that it's utilized much more than I thought because very few teams have legit aces in their lineup so it's essentially a small-market way to compete in October. I just don't like the idea of needing the play the perfect chess game to be the proper result.

It’s how small payroll teams can compete. Look at KC a couple years ago when they had Duffy, Herrera, Hochevar and Davis. All they needed was 5 innings from a starter. The small payroll teams don’t have the money to bring in aces but they can put together a very good bullpen. 

4 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Maybe ya'll shouldn't have been talking shit to Boston. Might not win another game now....

It's far more likely that LeBron has won his last ring than the Astros have won their last game in this year's ALCS. :biggrin:

7 hours ago, Oiler FANatic said:

It's far more likely that LeBron has won his last ring than the Astros have won their last game in this year's ALCS. :biggrin:

And that last one is still more than Harden will get as the man in HOU...

Kobe brought enough titles to LA to keep me satisfied for a few more years. 

On 10/17/2018 at 8:26 AM, JakePA_Titan said:

Kobe brought enough titles to LA to keep me satisfied for a few more years. 

At least 4 more, I hope. But LA still can count on the Dodgers to make it to the World Series since the Lakers aren't reaching the Finals.

17 hours ago, Oiler FANatic said:

At least 4 more, I hope. But LA still can count on the Dodgers to make it to the World Series since the Lakers aren't reaching the Finals.

But HOU won't be going in any sport....

On 10/21/2018 at 6:47 PM, JakePA_Titan said:

But HOU won't be going in any sport....

Obviously we won't see Houston in the Stanley Cup Finals any time soon (or ever). But the Astros and Rockets will both be there at some point.

6 minutes ago, Oiler FANatic said:

Obviously we won't see Houston in the Stanley Cup Finals any time soon (or ever). But the Astros and Rockets will both be there at some point.

Astros yes. Rockets No