Episode 164 - Defeating the Texans

Jamalisms

One week after an injury filled, painful, marathon loss, the Two Tone Crew returns to discuss a well-engineered divisional win against the Houston Texans. In a game where the Titans were down their top three tackles and started the backup quarterback, coaching, execution and a turn of fortune brought the Titans back to 1-1.

Scotty and Jamal recap the win, discuss what worked and why ... and then attempt to project the win forward. Is this success repeatable and are the Titans likely to be more any more healthy going into another divisional matchup against the Jaguars in week 3?

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twotonecrew/Episode_164.mp3

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m still not sure he’s really hurt. I think he might just be wearing a Michael Jackson glove. 

Lol what? racist?   I referenced Matthews because Vrabel alluded last week he still hadn't learned the offense. I'm a supporter of Matthews' protest, and I support Kaepernick and Eric Reid f

tgo is way nicer than I am. I'd have shit all over any moron that called me racist.

7 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

One week after an injury filled, painful, marathon loss, the Two Tone Crew returns to discuss a well-engineered divisional win against the Houston Texans. In a game where the Titans were down their top three tackles and started the backup quarterback, coaching, execution and a turn of fortune brought the Titans back to 1-1.

Scotty and Jamal recap the win, discuss what worked and why ... and then attempt to project the win forward. Is this success repeatable and are the Titans likely to be more any more healthy going into another divisional matchup against the Jaguars in week 3?

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twotonecrew/Episode_164.mp3

I'll listen on my way in this morning.  Thanks for keeping the podcast going.

@Jamalisms 

You asked what we have to do to win - my opinion is that we have to take advantage of their injuries on OL and force Bortles into turnovers in passing situations. But in order to get to that point, you have to hinder/stop their run game. 

The Jaguars run a man blocking scheme, and our defense (per Greg Cosell) is adept at forcing one on one's with the DL fronts. We have to win one on one's with the power man blocking OL in passing situations and force Bortles into mistakes, and we have to stop the run. 

On offense, regardless of whether a hampered Mariota or Gabbert plays, we have to prevent turning the ball over to their highly skilled defensive backs. 

In short, we've already seen the formula for beating the Jaguars, because we've done it 4 of the last 5 contests. We match up well against them in some ways, although they vastly outclass us personnel-wise. 

Although I find it unlikely that we win because they have superior personnel, the formula to winning is we have to stop the run, beat their injured OL in one on one pass rushing to force Bortles into mistakes. Then on offense you run the ball and utilize high percentage intermediate throws. I'm not sure the screen game will be particularly effective against this swarming defense. 

53 minutes ago, TitanedUpSince'70 said:

I don't listen to the podcasts (unless I can watch them too (OTP)), but I kinda figured Oman would be doing this one solo, because Jamal was fighting Dragons in Skyrim and playing Fortnite all last week!

Been too busy to get into Skyrim much yet, so I'm not hooked. And I already reached tier 100 in Fortnite, so my obsession is greatly lessened.

But, also, I don't have a choice. The show must go on.

7 minutes ago, WVTITAN said:

Evans is an interesting case.  I think he doesn’t understand the concepts of the defense.  Saban said they were better off just letting him play vs getting everyone in place.  Interesting too see if that changes over the next couple of years.

Yep. He seems like an intelligent person too, so I don't understand this. 

Why draft a guy who isn't a field general to man the field general position on defense?

Not saying I don't agree with the pick or that I'm already that down on Evans, but it's kind of weird. Aren't they supposed to be drafting "smart" players according to Robinson?

Not sure Taylor, Evans, Rishard Matthews fit that mold. 

Edited by tgo

Listened to the first half on the drive to work, good job guys. I think we could spend a couple of hours analyzing the Houston game, I've visited over at the Texans board, they are extremely critical of BoB's coaching job over there, which they should be. 

Jacksonville will be a challenge, however, except for QB, every unit we have on offense and defense (assuming Lewan/Kelly are back) is better than New England. I'm not picking us to win, but I think we have a chance. Jax came out and scored two TDs against New England to start the game, much like we did against Houston. We do indeed have a chance here and it depends on a large number of factors including coaching.

Will listen to the second half on the ride home tonight. 

2 hours ago, tgo said:

Aren't they supposed to be drafting "smart" players according to Robinson?

Not sure Taylor, Evans, Rishard Matthews fit that mold. 

In what way do any of those guys seem dumb to you? This post is borderline racist. Did you just put rishard on there because he's a protestor? Why not Casey? 

9 minutes ago, Thrill said:

In what way do any of those guys seem dumb to you? This post is borderline racist. Did you just put rishard on there because he's a protestor? Why not Casey? 

I almost forgot to answer your question - in what ways do they seem dumb to me? 

Because Matthews and Taylor can't seem to learn the offense, and Evans can't seem to learn the defense. That's why. Because Vrabel keeps saying repeatedly that you "can't overload them" or "can't put too much on their plate at once" and "can't make them think to much, you want them to play fast and aggressive."

The same reason why Kendall Wright wasn't a smart player. Or Kenny Britt. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Lol what? racist?

I referenced Matthews because Vrabel alluded last week he still hadn't learned the offense. I'm a supporter of Matthews' protest, and I support Kaepernick and Eric Reid from a political/social perspective as well. 

And why didn't I mention Casey? Gee, I dunno, maybe because he's a smart player!

Kind of like how Logan Ryan, Kevin Byard, Wesley Woodyard, Brian Orakpo, Derrick Morgan, Quinton Spain, Tajae Sharpe, Kenny Vaccaro, Darius Jennings are highly intelligent players. 

Racist? Give me a fucking break. 

2 of those 3 guys missed most of the offseason. And rishard never had any problems with intelligence in the past.

also Taylor has been balling out so I hardly think he needs to be on our dumb guy list either