All-22 Review: Breaking down the tape of the Titans offense in Miami( Mike B. Herndon)

OILERMAN

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But he did deal with the pressure and did throw the ball for a 1st down completion. You come across as having an agenda, which diminishes your credibility. The gripe about the Stocker throw is a bette

2 hours ago, Cyrus said: But he did deal with the pressure and did throw the ball for a 1st down completion. You come across as having an agenda, which diminishes your credibility. The gripe abou

this constant crusade to prove Mariota is a bust is tiresome, daily thread after thread rehashing exactly the same stuff.   it doesn't take a genius to know he isn't playing well right now,

8 minutes ago, tgo said:

Basically how I’m looking at it but I’d switch the word “good” with “decent.” 

fair enough. The set of downs at the goal line was bad. He didn't get his shoulders around on the Walker throw, didn't really give Davis a shot on 3rd down, and didn't lead Davis on 4th which allowed Fitzpatrick the opportunity to make a play. I believe some of that will get ironed out as everyone gets used to playing in the offense but he can't have many series like that.

23 minutes ago, oldschool said:

pretty solid breakdown. Mariota was good overall before the injury but missed some throws. Not bad for the first real action in a new offense.

He also was moving the ball without Lewis on the field and Henry doing absolutely nothing in the run game.

59 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

His throwing base was (reasonably) affected by pass pressure on at least two of these throws. (in that he had to adjust his arm angle/feet/timing/etc).  I think the Miami pass rush affected the pass game more than people are willing to admit. (Somewhat a testament to the "disruption is production" perspective). 

In a world where Mariota is credited with a lousy throw (which was a completion), how should we characterize Lewan when he's literally trying to ride out a DE who beat him inside and is running right through the middle of the pocket? Worse than Mariota, honestly.

You're talking about the pass over the middle to Walker, correct? In another thread when shown the play from behind he had to wait for them to pass him before throwing to Walker, it was obvious at that point to reset a bit & lead him would've thrown him right into defenders.

But in fairness that defense of the pass to Stocker is really reaching. It wasn't like it was 4th down & he needed to be careful to at least get the completion. He underthrew it a bit, it's OK to say that.

BTW, and I'm not saying this to rip the prior staff, but this is the play I wanted us to run to Jonnu last year. We had a small, fast 2nd TE who wasn't a good blocker, I don't know why we didn't take more shots like this with the matchups he would've gotten.

I always loved this play, Kubiak used to kill us with this.

10 minutes ago, AvgJoe said:

He also was moving the ball without Lewis on the field and Henry doing absolutely nothing in the run game.

Henry got what he could, he has played well just hasn't had many holes in his few carriers.

18 minutes ago, oldschool said:

fair enough. The set of downs at the goal line was bad. He didn't get his shoulders around on the Walker throw, didn't really give Davis a shot on 3rd down, and didn't lead Davis on 4th which allowed Fitzpatrick the opportunity to make a play. I believe some of that will get ironed out as everyone gets used to playing in the offense but he can't have many series like that.

One aspect I've been disappointed in last year & now this game is his play in the red zone, especially inside the 10. Obviously he wasn't going to keep going at the insane rate he was his first 2 years, but he's really fallen off down by the end zone.

He seemed more decisive, he'd get rid of it so quick, and with mustard on it. He just looked more confident in what he was doing down there. 

Whats sad and encouraging at the same time is seeing all the bad calls and missed opportunities that you can only see with the All-22. The hold on Walker looks really bad cause you can see where the ref is when he throws the flag and it isn't at Kline its at Walker, don't even thing he can see Kine from where he was on the sideline.

Henry_TD_called_back.gif

Edited by Huston

Receivers were running open pretty regularly on Sunday. This play ended up getting negated by a facemask penalty against Taylor Lewan as he got beat by Robert Quinn (one of the few losses for the Titans offensive line on the day), but it’s too bad the protection didn’t hold up because Tajae Sharpe was going to be wide open on the dagger concept over the middle.

Sharpe_open_but_Lewan_gets_beat.gif

Example of route combinations leading to another blown coverage.

48 minutes ago, Face said:

One aspect I've been disappointed in last year & now this game is his play in the red zone, especially inside the 10. Obviously he wasn't going to keep going at the insane rate he was his first 2 years, but he's really fallen off down by the end zone.

He seemed more decisive, he'd get rid of it so quick, and with mustard on it. He just looked more confident in what he was doing down there. 

Well last year the playcalling got worse and its only been one real game in this new offensive scheme

26 minutes ago, Huston said:

Whats sad and encouraging at the same time is seeing all bad calls and missed opportunities that you can only see with the All-22. The hold on Walker looks really bad cause you can see where the ref is when he throws the flag and it isn't at Kline its at Walker, don't even thing he cans see Kine from where he was on the sideline.

Henry_TD_called_back.gif

This angle very clearly shows why the flag was thrown:

Obviously the side judge  had money riding on the Dolphins.

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

So is making an excuse for every inaccurate throw 

But wait a minute. So you don't want to hear any excuses for ints but yet you will criticize a completed pass that isn't perfect in every way possible. Makes no sense as usual coming from you. 

Edited by Pray_iv_m3rcy