OILERMAN

I do think it's too early to completely panic

33 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

If they finish poorly enough and their is a top QB available I'm sure that will be a consideration. For them to be in that position it would mean Mariota had a pretty bad season. 

I know the season is just starting, but I've been slackin' on all the college QB's this year.  No idea who the main guys are for the next draft.  That's pretty bad for me.  Just haven't been interested yet in seeing who is who.

Jonboy   
55 minutes ago, tgo said:

Never was expecting playoff contention personally. 

Why not though? The coaching staff and new systems? They arguably should’ve won the division last year, made the playoffs anyway, and won a game. Then they improved at every single position group. On paper, playoffs and competing for the division title should’ve been the expectation.

4 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Why not though? The coaching staff and new systems? They arguably should’ve won the division last year, made the playoffs anyway, and won a game. Then they improved at every single position group. On paper, playoffs and competing for the division title should’ve been the expectation.

Too many different factors. We had/have no idea what to expect from the coaching staff or our players. There are a ton of unknowns. 

tgo   

I think a lot of fans were expecting a new staff to come in and turn the team around and that Mularkey and company were holding the team back from its potential. 

I knew when they fired Mularkey and replaced him with a first time HC that this year would essentially be a rebuilding year. You had a staff with centuries of NFL experience and replaced them with a lot of first time coaches. The vast majority of this coaching staff are either first time position coaches or first time NFL coaches, so they’re all learning how to coach in the NFL. 

This is in addition to the fact that switching from an Erhardt Perkins power offense to a Shanahan West Coast zone scheme is a very steep transition. We have guys at every position playing totally different techniques than most have in their careers, particularly at QB. This is a big transition for QBs, OL, TEs. WRs running totally different stuff as well. This offense relies much more on timing and communication between QBs and receivers. This takes time to develop. 

Further, the prior coaching staff ran “highly schemed” (as Cosell called it) offense and defense. To make a long story short, this resulted in reliance on scheme moreso than players to run the ball, to stop the run, to generate a pass rush with stunts and blitzes, to create confusion with complex coverages, and to run a lot of trickery on offense. This fact (and I’m not saying it’s the best way to go necessarily) means that a lot of personnel deficiencies were covered up - which basically meant the team in general had a lower ceiling but higher floor. 

With our schedule, we were never going to the playoffs this year or competing for a Superbowl - it was always going to be a year of development and re-tooling *especially* the first quarter or first half of the year. These young coaches require development and the players require development as well. And I hope I have to eat my words on this. Hopefully I look totally stupid and we end up being heavy hitters this year.

If you listen to Robinson’s TV and radio interviews right after the Vrabel hire, it is totally obvious that he is trying to pump the brakes on expectations and knows that it’s a one step back to take two steps forward kind of deal.

It is critically important though, for the team and for Mariota, that fans are patient. We cannot keep fucking cycling through coaching staffs every two years, it’s a piss poor way to run a franchise and guarantees failure. 

I plan to be patient (pissing and moaning only occasionally) and to try to keep perspective as we watch the development of the younger players and watch the team grow within the new schemes. I’m expecting a pretty good draft pick this year, but next year we need to be in full blown contention. 

Edited by tgo

Nash   

I really thought it might all come together by game 6, just as it did for the Rams last year....and hopefully we would make a run at the playoffs.. so I'm not expecting much just yet.. 

tgo   
27 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Check out my long post above. 

Scheme changes, going from a culture and identity we had been building for a few years to a new one, staff unfamiliarity with the players, going from a highly experienced staff to a relatively novice staff, etc. 

Our best players are playing in schemes and techniques they’ve never played in their careers, just a lot of unknowns and a big learning curve. 

Plus I think the team had been playing above its talent level for a couple years in terms of wins due to intangible and scheme factors (and schedule), and knew we might lose a lot of that. 

Edited by tgo

kgsTitan   
Just now, Kirkster said:

Evans and Landry better both be quality starters, immediately. 

If Landry plays, he has a great matchup this week with his speed vs. a backup LT. 

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

If panic means going from expecting to be a playoff competitor to no longer expecting to be a playoff competitor then I think it’s a perfect time to panic...

If you expected to be a playoff competitor under a first year head coach, and entirely new staff and the 3rd system in 4 years for the offense, then you lack a realistic perspective on this game.

Rookies at critical positions barely learned to play at this level in the previous system.  They're starting over from scratch too.

Kirkster   
20 minutes ago, tgo said:

With our schedule, we were never going to the playoffs this year or competing for a Superbowl - it was always going to be a year of development and re-tooling *especially* the first quarter or first half of the year. These young coaches require development and the players require development as well. And I hope I have to eat my words on this. Hopefully I look totally stupid and we end up being heavy hitters this year.

Wait....are we tanking right now, if that was the plan, then Sunday went well. 

Seriously though, your bang on the money with ceiling and floor comments. We were a smart, conservative, well drilled team last year, that was very aggressive on Defense, and that took care of the ball on offense. I think you will see a completely different mindset.

I did like the quick passes in first half, those are new and cool.

Henry, did he play after his 60+yarder got pulled back??im not sure he did, which is insane.  

Whenever he dips the shoulder into a turn he just explodes. It was an amazing run.

Lewis balled out, and looks like the toughest player on the field

Edited by Kirkster

Kyle021   
1 minute ago, Kirkster said:

Wait....are we tanking right now, if that was the plan, then Sunday went well. 

Seriously though, your bang on the money with ceiling and floor comments. We were a smart, conservative, well drilled team last year, that was very aggressive on Defense, and that took care of the ball on offense. I did like if the quick passes in first half, those are new and cool.

Henry, did he play after his 60+yarder got pulled back??im not sure he did, which is insane.  

Whenever he dips the shoulder into a turn he just explodes. It was an amazing run.

Lewis balled out, and looks like the toughest player on the field

Yes Henry did