AussieTitanFan08

Questions around Mariota overshadow a really poor start for Vrabel

Overall Vrabel didn't do a bad job.  We are out there without both starting OTs and an injured QB, the refs are a bunch of bums and we came close to having a few great plays we didn't execute and the Dolphins did.  Like any game there are a bunch of scenarios and what ifs that can completely change the outcome.  We didn't lose because we were outcoached is the point. 

1 minute ago, Soxcat said:

We didn't lose because we were outcoached is the point. 

The problem is that isn't even close to an acceptable bar to have when you fire your previous playoff winning coach

Obviously I am just being facetious because there was a lot of shit going on yesterday and he is a rookie so it will take time to see if this staff has what it takes to improve Mariota long-term while still winning this year but that's the bar they need to be at.... Not is he simply not losing us games.

4 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Miami did a good job of getting on the ball (they thought it might be a fumble) so nobody had the benefit of seeing a replay.  The play was very close so Vrabel probably knew it was a risk but the board would be pissed if he let it go and it was a fumble.  Again, even Miami thought it could be a fumble, our players thought it was a fumble and I don't fault Vrabel for taking a shot. 

yeah,  I think Vrabel knew he was rolling the dice there but went for it...we needed something like that to go in our favor so he took a chance.

What really bothers me is if the whole point of instant replay is to get the call right then there needs to be a way to allow teams at least a few seconds more to decide if they want to challenge.  The team on defense has a distinct disadvantage cause it's not like they can rush up to the line.  Just pisses me off for some reason.

Vrabel's first game as HC and also the first game our OC was calling the plays.  The 98 yard drive pissed me off more than anything.  Pees made some adjustments and we stuffed the run better in the 2nd half but part of going for it on 4th down is the expectation you can still have a shot at good field position and at minimum a FG even if you don't get it. 

So think it through.  Say you have a 50% shot at converting 4th down (about the % teams convert a 2 pt conversion).  Then say you expect to hold the Dolphins to a punt before they cross our 20 yard line.  Again, maybe a 50% or better chance of that since most teams play it conservative out of their own goal line.  The odds are pretty good at minimal we have a shot of getting that FG back.  Instead we let them drive 98 yards?  Ridiculous.  In fact the odds of any team getting any points at all starting form their own 2 yard line are maybe 10%.  Normally that is why it is not a bad call to go for it down there that early in the game. 

firstdowntds[1].png

4 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Instead we let them drive 98 yards?  Ridiculous.  In fact the odds of any team getting any points at all starting form their own 2 yard line are maybe 10%.  Normally that is why it is not a bad call to go for it down there that early in the game. 

More importantly the defense gave them free yards that opened up the entire playbook for the offense to start that drive. Completely unacceptable when the redeeming part of going for the TD is that you have a MUCH easier chance at forcing a 3 and out.

54 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Vrabel's first game as HC and also the first game our OC was calling the plays.  The 98 yard drive pissed me off more than anything.  Pees made some adjustments and we stuffed the run better in the 2nd half but part of going for it on 4th down is the expectation you can still have a shot at good field position and at minimum a FG even if you don't get it. 

So think it through.  Say you have a 50% shot at converting 4th down (about the % teams convert a 2 pt conversion).  Then say you expect to hold the Dolphins to a punt before they cross our 20 yard line.  Again, maybe a 50% or better chance of that since most teams play it conservative out of their own goal line.  The odds are pretty good at minimal we have a shot of getting that FG back.  Instead we let them drive 98 yards?  Ridiculous.  In fact the odds of any team getting any points at all starting form their own 2 yard line are maybe 10%.  Normally that is why it is not a bad call to go for it down there that early in the game. 

firstdowntds[1].png

The Fisher bible. Percentages.

6 hours ago, oldschool said:

Miami sucks don't be fooled. The fact the Titans almost won despite giving up a KO return, a 75 yard bomb, key injuries to Lewan and Mariot, and playing like complete dog shit tells me Miami is who most of us thought they were.

I don't think they're very good obviously but Cutler made them look so much worse last year, he just didn't care. And Tannehill is a good QB that's had nothing around him his entire career. And I'll tell you, Miami may have drafted the better Bama back, I forgot how good Kenyon Drake ended last season, when he got starting snaps:

23/120

25/114

16/78

13/57

14/75

However, there was no excuse for Gore destroying us.

Tell you though man, I just want a good goddamn defense already. It's been YEARS. And I'm still optimistic. We still have 3 good corners which most teams can't say they have. No,  one are "elite" but Butler played at a pro bowl level in '15 & '16 & that pick in the end zone was a thing of beauty. As for the TD sometimes you have to give the other guys credit. That was an absolutely exquisite ball by Tannehill. Plus, he had all day off play action. Stills is a very good deep threat & Butler was all over him. What are you gonna do?

The run defense will come around that's more about fits but what they need is a consistent pass rush, we need Evans and Landry in the rotation if not starting.

9 hours ago, Face said:

Let's also get one thing straight....firing Mularkey for Vrabel was absolutely the correct move. 

I would ice that comment for now. Not buying it. Let’s see how we do the first month or so.

A lot of staffs used the same strategy this TC, limit reps for your starters and hold anybody out who has any kind of injury that could possibly be aggravated at the peril of having to deal with uneven level of play come game 1. Dallas offense looked like shit along with Philly and many others, Green Bay looked like crap for the first half and was lucky Chicago choked and couldn't convert a first down late.

2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Vrabel did have a pretty weird moment in the presser today. 

First of all he acted like he was surprised to learn the QB could get hit when he's acting out a fake. I knew that and thought it was pretty well known. Then when discussing how to protect the QB.

Vrabel said the Titans and Mariota can do things moving forward to protect Mariota.

“Marcus knows ways to protect himself,” Vrabel said. “Clearly, letting the defender know and the official know that you don’t have the ball.

When you're acting out a fake and pretending to have the ball how do you let the defender know you don't have the ball?

How about don’t run many RPOs. 

It was funny that he said he told Dean Pees to make sure we started doing that to other teams. Kind of makes you wonder.