OILERMAN vs IsntLifeFunny RB bet

OILERMAN

7 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I've been saying since last year that if he gets blocking he will produce. This isn't anything new.I'm open to the idea that Henry made some changes but I still maintain that those changes would have yielded little to no production if the OL situation didn't improve. The runs where the blocking wasn't there during his great run looked very similar to the ones before the bye. Either way, it's tough to look silly when your analysis of a situation turns out to be more on point than the people disagreeing with you. Before the season, I said Henry would end the year with about 1,000 yards and 8 TDs. The people on the other side of that predicted he'd end up riding the bench because Lewis would expose how much he sucks. But yeah, you're totally right, I was WAY off...

I never said you were WAY off... I'm just saying that people look pretty damn silly by just screaming the notion that the only reason his play improved was because the blocking was better..... There are plenty of those fucking morons that try to act like he's run that way in the pros since day 1.

You don't go from getting benched to looking like the best back in the league only with a little better blocking, it clearly was both aspects of the running game improving... Blocking AND Henry, I don't get why more people try to pigeon hole it as one or the other.

Anytime some asshat takes a stance on one side of the fence they look pretty damn foolish

Edited by wiscotitansfan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somehow it feels like you are both losing the bet.

OMAN we get it,    you care more about your agenda than the titans success. 

Never mind the fact that Henry scored three of his four TDs last night (and at least 7 of his 9 TD's this season) on runs between the tackles.   Agendas and preconceived notions are far more important

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I never said you were WAY off... I'm just saying that people look pretty damn silly by just screaming the notion that the only reason his play improved was because the blocking was better..... There are plenty of those fucking morons that try to act like he's run that way in the pros since day 1.

You don't go from getting benched to looking like the best back in the league only with a little better blocking, it clearly was both aspects of the running game improving... Blocking AND Henry, I don't get why more people try to pigeon hole it as one or the other.

Anytime some asshat takes a stance on one side of the fence they look pretty damn foolish

Agree. Blocking improved and Henry improved. To say it’s one or the other is foolish. Not only was he running harder but when he had success you could tell he was running with confidence. He knew people couldn’t tackle him if he ran that way. It’s pretty rare to have a successful run game without both aspects. Some RBs can manage decent seasons without consistent OL play but no where near what they could produce with good OL play. 

1 minute ago, wiscotitansfan said:

You don't go from getting benched to looking like the best back in the league only with block, it clearly was both aspects of the running game improving... Blocking AND Henry, I don't get why more people try to pigeon hole it as one or the other.

You won't like this but I gotta disagree with you a little here. I've seen plenty of really good backs look like utter shit behind a bad OL that gives him no room and conversely some pretty pedestrian backs look really good because the OL is opening huge holes. I get what you're saying that there is certainly and interplay between the two, however, I personally believe that for a turn around that big to occur, you have to really look at the OL. It's just hard for me to believe that a player in his third year can all of a sudden become someone else. 

In short, I think that everyone agrees that the improvement of the running game can be attributed to the blocking AND Henry; where people disagree is how much can be attributed to each. 

There is a vast possibility that I'm wrong on this and I'm open to it.This is just my understanding of the situation as it stands. I can be convinced otherwise. Ultimately, it's kind of a pointless argument because OL and RB play are so interconnected that we may never really know the truth.

6 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Agree. Blocking improved and Henry improved. To say it’s one or the other is foolish. Not only was he running harder but when he had success you could tell he was running with confidence. He knew people couldn’t tackle him if he ran that way. It’s pretty rare to have a successful run game without both aspects. Some RBs can manage decent seasons without consistent OL play but no where near what they could produce with good OL play. 

I will say that this particular change is pretty undeniable even if you credit the OL more like I do. After the Jags game the guy was clearly oozing confidence. He looked like he did at Bama. I actually hope that I'm wrong in thinking that it was mostly the OL because an OL as a unit is much more likely to change than an individual player. Hopefully. it's true that some magical thing "clicked" with Henry and there is no going back because if I'm right, we may be a an OL injury or two away from going right back to 3.0 yards per carry games. 

5 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

In short, I think that everyone agrees that the improvement of the running game can be attributed to the blocking AND Henry

I agree with everything you said but this.... There ARE people who claim that Henry has run this way his whole career.

Of course we disagree on the extent that each have improved and I'm not necessarily calling you out, just that there are some retards who claim that its only on the OL and it was just OL and opportunity that was holding Henry back and he looks like the same player we've always seen.

3 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I will say that this particular change is pretty undeniable even if you credit the OL more like I do. After the Jags game the guy was clearly oozing confidence. He looked like he did at Bama. I actually hope that I'm wrong in thinking that it was mostly the OL because an OL as a unit is much more likely to change than an individual player. Hopefully. it's true that some magical thing "clicked" with Henry and there is no going back because if I'm right, we may be a an OL injury or two away from going right back to 3.0 yards per carry games. 

The breaking of leg tackles and constant movement is something I noticed.

Shocking that Eddie George tells him he has "dead legs" and suddenly the guy is churning through tackles all over the place.

1 hour ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Just like those saying that he has been that aggressive and running through people his whole career? It wasn't playoff KC, All the Jags games and whatever the follow up to Jacksonville that the blocking was finally adequate!!

Henry's running style contributed greatly to his inconsistency in his first two years.   He was constantly bouncing plays outside looking for the home run;  this resulted in a number of long runs and chunk plays....but he also had a very high percentage of zero/minus plays.    (around 25%, as I recall).

From the very first preseason game this year, it was readily apparent that he had changed his approach and running style.  Rather than bouncing outside, he stayed between the tackles and got what was available.     This eliminated many of the zero/minus plays....but his production was terrible because the blocking was so bad.  After seven games, he had 84 carries and averaged only 3.25 yards per carry with only 1 TD.  

Then came the bye week;  Henry spent that week self-scouting and had the talk with EG...which had a major impact.

Over the next five games, Henry had 44 carries for 4 TDs and averaged 4.6 yards per carry .    This improvement can be attributed to Henry himself, because the O-line was still absolutely pitiful.

But in week 13,  the O-line suddenly had a dramatic turnaround...and Henry absolutely exploded.    Over the final four games, Henry had 87 carries and averaged 6.7 yards per carry with 7 TDs.    (Even if you remove the insane 99-yard TD, he still averaged 5.65 yards per carry over those four games.)

For the TL/DR crowd:

• Henry meh, O-line terrible = 3.25 yards per carry, 1 TD  (weeks 1-7)
  • Henry good, O-line terrible = 4.6 yards per carry, 4 TDs    (weeks 9-12)
  • Henry great, O-line great = 6.7 yards per carry, 7 TDs   (weeks 13-17)

2 minutes ago, nine said:

For the TL/DR crowd:

• Henry okay, O-line terrible = 3.25 yards per carry, 1 TD  (weeks 1-7)
  • Henry good, O-line terrible = 4.6 yards per carry, 4 TDs    (weeks 9-12)
  • Henry great, O-line great = 6.7 yards per carry, 7 TDs   (weeks 13-17)

Again, what does that have anything to do with me calling out the morons who think that Henry was just being held back by coaching and poor line play and he's been running the same?

You literally go on and elaborate how in a vacuum you saw Henry getting better as the season went on.

I don't know who exactly, maybe Huston idk, has claimed that Henry has not changed. I don't know why you guys are getting so caught up with me even though you both have admitted Henry has looked much better from last year and even better as the weeks went on this year.

11 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Again, what does that have anything to do with me calling out the morons who think that Henry was just being held back by coaching and poor line play and he's been running the same?

Henry contributed greatly to his own struggles in 2016 & 2017.     Anyone who thinks otherwise either had an agenda or wasn't paying attention.   He was a big part of the problem.

He was a very different runner this year....especially after the bye week.   

19 hours ago, imemtitan said:

I don't think you can blame this thread, the toxicity has been there pretty much since VY was drafted.  Last time I can recall this board being generally civil was in the late McNair years.  Back when Oman was afraid of nendzone so she kept his ego in check.

Then came the board open season on female posters.  Hasn't been one seen in the open for years.

5 minutes ago, nine said:

Henry's running style contributed greatly to his inconsistency in his first two years.   He was constantly bouncing plays outside looking for the home run;  this resulted in a number of long runs and chunk plays....but he also had a very high percentage of zero/minus plays.    (around 25%, as I recall).

Ironically, he had his highest success rate as a rookie (55%), despite 61 of his 110 carries coming on downs with at least 10 yards to go.

3 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Like with a QB, being able to trust your OL to be consistent helps a RB run so much more confidently.