Episode 162 - In Advance Of Miami

Jamalisms

Scotty and Jamal return to discuss the upcoming game against Miami, including some surprise 53 man roster decisions and how that may impact what unfolds. Official week 1 Titans predictions and mandatory season predictions are also on order.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twotonecrew/Episode_162.mp3

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i'm not sure we get nearly as many answers to a lot of the offseason questions that we might hope in the Dolphins game.   LaFleur in an interview today talked about the Rams offense last yea

I enjoyed this episode. But I do have one suggestion for these type of pre game discussions: maybe discuss individual matchups a bit more. You kind of discussed Kelly vs Wake. But a little more would

The plays with the most talented players work the best!

i'm not sure we get nearly as many answers to a lot of the offseason questions that we might hope in the Dolphins game.

LaFleur in an interview today talked about the Rams offense last year, it was never their intention to play anywhere near as many plays in 3WR sets as they ended up doing, it is just something that happened as they realized what was working best for them.

what we see offensively in week 1 might  be considerably different to where things settle later in the season, I don't think LaFleur intends to be rigid to parts of his system that clearly aren't working.

4 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

i'm not sure we get nearly as many answers to a lot of the offseason questions that we might hope in the Dolphins game.

LaFleur in an interview today talked about the Rams offense last year, it was never their intention to play anywhere near as many plays in 3WR sets as they ended up doing, it is just something that happened as they realized what was working best for them.

what we see offensively in week 1 might  be considerably different to where things settle later in the season, I don't think LaFleur intends to be rigid to parts of his system that clearly aren't working.

What do you mean? Resident expert Oman said it will be identical to Mularkeys O and no different, ever.

Good podcast, thanks guys for the effort. 

Mariota, O-line, pass rush are the critical questions, as you guys point out. Running the ball and the short passing game including screens should help the offense. Stopping the run and trying to get some pressure on Tannehill, might have to blitz a fair bit.

I'm ready for some football!

Another good podcast. 

Just a quick comment regarding the discussion how far we go this year and the expectation of doing much better next year in Vrabel's second year. We have to keep in mind that the defense's "window" could be closing in a sense. Maybe that's melodramatic but we have Woodyard, Orakpo, Morgan going into contract years and also getting older and becoming less impactful. These guys are also big time defensive leaders. If Landry does become a world beater and Evans doesn't end up being a high caliber ILB or both end up being injury prone - we could be in trouble. 

This next offseason is going to be a big one in terms of possibly re-signing Morgan or Orakpo or both and then replacing Woodyard (hopefully Brown is ready to take this role, although Woodyard's leadership can't be replaced). 

Point being, there's a real scenario where the defense could take a big drop off next year without an influx of talent into the front 7 or re-signing a lot of these guys and hoping they don't fall off a cliff due to age. It's critical that Landry and Evans both end up being good players and that we also add more around them to succeed the aging leaders of the defense. We also really need defensive line depth to add to that rotation so that Casey, Jones, Johnson aren't playing 50-60 snaps a game. 

I'm excited at the prospect of running an offense where we attack our opponent's weaknesses. Would expect to see the base platform of the offense, and probably featuring heavier attention to using the tight ends and running backs this week exploiting Miami's linebackers.

The thing I'm most excited to see is a coherent offensive strategy, where like a boxing match, we will set up a few haymakers based on similar looks set up earlier in the game.

Most concerned to see how the O-Line holds up against Miami's pass rush and if the D-Line can break through to pressure Tannehill.

@OILERMAN @Jamalisms

As I was listening to the podcast, and we start to get to Mariota's limitations, I remembered from last season how different and better the offense seemed to operate when we were in the hurry up offense and Mariota was calling plays instead of Robiscuits. I remember personally calling for using the hurry up offense more often for this reason. 

Do you think this is more of an anomaly for a mediocre quarterback or do you think this leans to support that maybe the scheme and play calling played a role in Mariota's and the offense's struggles?

I'd also like to know how you think a QB would ideally progress as a rookie and what steps and milestones you would expect for them to make along the way. I'd need to research more articles to defend my hypothesis, but I'm thinking that year 1 is about learning and adjusting to the new level of the game. Year 2, the QB makes a significant jump in your understanding of the offense and the game slows down. Year 3, the QB is now comfortable and able really starts honing in and refining the intricacies of what is a complex, NFL offense.

I think with every scheme change, even vets would get kicked back to being somewhere between year 1 and 2 in a rookies progression. Do you think this is a fair estimation, and if so, do you think some of the criticims of Mariota's lack of development as a veteran QB could be because of repeatedly getting knocked back a space or two in the QB development game?

Although I disagree on Mariota, I enjoy the podcast and appreciate your work.

I enjoyed this episode. But I do have one suggestion for these type of pre game discussions: maybe discuss individual matchups a bit more. You kind of discussed Kelly vs Wake. But a little more would have been cool. But either way keep up the good work guys.

edit: I hope mariota proves oilerman completely and unequivocally wrong.

5 hours ago, TheBukafax said:

What do you mean? Resident expert Oman said it will be identical to Mularkeys O and no different, ever.

I didn’t say that, various coaches said it would be 80% the same plays not identical 

6 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I didn’t say that, various coaches said it would be 80% the same plays not identical 

Every offensive playbook in the NFL has all the same plays in it, it's just how often you run certain formations and how often you run certain plays, when you run them, etc that differentiates everything.

McVay and Shanahan and Pederson's offenses last year didn't run any plays no one has ever seen before or that any other offense in football can't physically run(obviously if your players are worse at certain positions it makes it harder, but speaking play design only). It's just how often they ran them and when they ran them.