3 minutes ago, ctm said:

Democrats are using the hearings to motivate their base for November.

I hope so but I find the actions of the dems over Gorsuch and Kavanaugh counter productive. 

5 minutes ago, oldschool said:

its the extreme left driving this and it's going to backfire. What they should be doing is pointing out elections have consequences and telling everyone who claims to be a democrat to get off their asses and vote because not doing so led to a Trump presidency and a conservative Supreme court. I'd use Gorchich and Kavanaugh every chance I could as a democrat operative. Make sure the voters understand the implications of staying home.

I agree with this (except for the extreme left part), but, IMO Booker is doing the right thing by standing up to the majority. While it might not play out well with undecided voters should he run for President, he refuses to be bullied by the majority. Booker is doing something that most Democrats refuse to do.....Speak out.

5 minutes ago, ctm said:

That's great, but they need independents to swing with them, especially in contested areas. 

5 minutes ago, ctm said:

Exactly. Democrats probably can’t block him from being seated on the Supreme Court. Not without Republican help, certainly. 

What they can can do is fight to win back control in Congress.

2 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I'm pretty sure that tactic helped put Trump in the White House. Fighting fire with fire, while nihilist, is more successful politically.

Exposing documents that the GOP is trying to hide shouldn’t negatively animate anyone in the middle, IMO

It's creating irreparable harm to the Republican party, and very possibly the dismantling of the party itself in a couple decades. It took the convergence of a number of issues (and arguably the influence of a foreign power) to put him in the White House.

Fighting fire with fire is a lousy tactic that makes partisans "feel good". 

1 minute ago, Titanjuicy said:

I agree with this (except for the extreme left part), but, IMO Booker is doing the right thing by standing up to the majority. While it might not play out well with undecided voters should he run for President, he refuses to be bullied by the majority. Booker is doing something that most Democrats refuse to do.....Speak out.

I honestly don't mind what Booker did. Leahy and some of the others have been far more damaging.

Just now, Cyrus said:

It's creating irreparable harm to the Republican party, and very possibly the dismantling of the party itself in a couple decades. It took the convergence of a number of issues (and arguably the influence of a foreign power) to put him in the White House.

Fighting fire with fire is a lousy tactic that makes partisans "feel good". 

It’s a lousy tactic that works way better than turn the other cheek. 

People say they hate negative campaigning but history shows voters respond better to it.

2 minutes ago, Titanjuicy said:

It's a lost cause. They don't have the votes, and more conservatives Democrats may/will vote for Kavanaugh. Why? Because he's not regressive demon that the hyper-partisans make him out to be.

The political theater is damaging our politics and I don't think it's good for the Democratic party. Want to excite the base? How about a coherent message for the mid-term that helps the working class and actually solves some of the major issues in healthcare. How about protecting the rule of law and constitutional checks on the Presidency?

Why does that not excite the base? Why are people so foolish?

Just now, Cyrus said:

It's a lost cause. They don't have the votes, and more conservatives Democrats may/will vote for Kavanaugh. Why? Because he's not regressive demon that the hyper-partisans make him out to be.

The political theater is damaging our politics and I don't think it's good for the Democratic party. Want to excite the base? How about a coherent message for the mid-term that helps the working class and actually solves some of the major issues in healthcare. How about protecting the rule of law and constitutional checks on the Presidency?

Furthermore the democrats just plain suck at dirty politics. The GOP has kicked their asses at it for decades.

As for Kavanaugh, he seems pretty middle of the road to me. While obviously a conservative he's not going to be Scalia, Gorsuch, or Thomas.

Just now, Starkiller said:

It’s a lousy tactic that works way better than turn the other cheek. 

People say they hate negative campaigning but history shows voters respond better to it.

It works in the short-term but in the long-term can be (and is) corrosive. Don't be shortsighted. The good fight is hard, but if it's a just cause it will ultimately prevail if the actors retain political and moral credibility. (See MLK).

2 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Coherent policy driven messages don’t interest voters...

9 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Exactly. Democrats probably can’t block him from being seated on the Supreme Court. Not without Republican help, certainly. 

What they can can do is fight to win back control in Congress.

I agree.  If that just gave up and let the hearings go smoothly, there are many who would take that as a message of not caring and would then not vote.  I think Millenials, who are a huge group, heavily view the team-view with everyone participating to some level (e.g. ribbons to everyone in a sport) as being verying important to them.    They do not care if it is not effective- they just want people to be part of something.  So Democrats need to show they are involved, or many Millenials (an 80 million adult block) might not vote again. 

Edited by 9 Nines

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

Furthermore the democrats just plain suck at dirty politics. The GOP has kicked their asses at it for decades.

As for Kavanaugh, he seems pretty middle of the road to me. While obviously a conservative he's not going to be Scalia, Gorsuch, or Thomas.

It's true that the Democrats are too disorganized and factious to be effective at fighting dirty. 

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

Coherent policy driven messages don’t interest voters...

Don't be victim of the "now". Political fevers eventually break, and you don't want to be the same in the same pile of mud as your opponent when it does. 

1 minute ago, Cyrus said:

It works in the short-term but in the long-term can be (and is) corrosive. Don't be shortsighted. The good fight is hard, but if it's a just cause it will ultimately prevail if the actors retain political and moral credibility. (See MLK).

Just causes don’t prevail because they are just. It takes politicians in office to enact laws.