Jamalisms

Episode 161 - Titans Preseason Week Three, Turmoil and the 53 Man Roster

Scotty and Jamal return on the heels of a disappointing, perhaps concerning, Titans performance in preseason week 3, this time without guests. What stood out in the loss to the Steelers and are fans overreacting or just suffering from an expectations course correction - this and more on Episode 161.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twotonecrew/Episode_161.mp3

I moved my mic and should have used a pop filter. I'd apologize if I respected your opinions. Instead, I'll just note that I'm aware because I'm smart ... and will correct it for the same reason.

Good podcast. Basically Mariota has run out of excuses if he does not play up to the level of franchise QB this year. Another bad year and the only people who will continue to support him are the Blake Bortles types who supported Locker at the end. It's a contract year for him as well. On the psychology / sociology front (yuk!) I just thinks he needs to look more confident back there, show a bit of moxie.  

I listen to the podcast on android, no spot to add stars there. No spot to add stars on your link. If it's important to have the podcast rated, make it easier by adding a stars link.

Thanks Jamal and Scotty for the effort.

Edited by Tex in a Can

57 minutes ago, Tex in a Can said:

I listen to the podcast on android, no spot to add stars there. No spot to add stars on your link. If it's important to have the podcast rated, make it easier by adding a stars link.

Podcasts are weird in that they go everywhere but, for the most part, iTunes really runs the show on the ratings and front. Everything else is almost just a push to make sure that you can listen to it on various devices. I'm sure there are algorithms that drive where you pop up in searches for Stitcher or Android Play ... but iTunes ratings are kind of the score.

The good news is, as I said on the show, I don't really care and I don't think anyone else does. But it does help others discover the podcast, so if you have an iTunes account you could search for it and rate the show ... otherwise no big deal.

33 minutes ago, Face said:

So now Mariota is in the Bortles/Locker category. What a joke. The overreaction is so out of hand. Please, list out all the QB's with 90+ ratings in their first 2 years with over a 7.5 YPA & over a 12 yards per completion. 

He had a down year last year, yes, but he was also rated much higher in all the analytic sites, dealt with a ton of shit, looked much better at the end of the season, and had an awesome come from behind playoff road win. 

Does he need to get better? Sure. But this shit about him having to prove he's a franchise QB, or even better that he's a Bortles/Locker, is beyond laughable. He was a franchise QB the day he stepped in the building. 

I did imply "after another bad year", not now, but if you want to amplify it, go ahead, might be fun. The lemmings are looking for something to have fun with.

Edited by Tex in a Can

Glad you brought up Drew Brees. This is a quick down and dirty look at their first 3 years of starting. (It appears for Brees at least, I didn't fully dig in as I'm supposed to be working. (There's more room for deeper analysis...))

Mariota is ahead of Brees in yards, TDs and interceptions. Check out the chart with a very rude projection of Mariota based off of Brees improvements as well.

@Jamalisms @OILERMAN

image002.jpg

Edited by TitansFan_42
Forgot to tag Jamal and Scotty (I think is Oilerman?)

OILERMAN   
49 minutes ago, Face said:

Please, list out all the QB's with 90+ ratings in their first 2 years with over a 7.5 YPA & over a 12 yards per comp

Kaepernick maybe? RGIII depending on his 2nd year???

Identify the QBs

QB 1: ~94 rating; ~7.6 ypa; ~12.3 ypa

QB 2: ~92 rating; ~7.5 ypa; ~12.0 ypa

QB 3: ~94 rating; ~7.9 ypa; ~13.2 ypa

OILERMAN   
46 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Identify the QBs

QB 1: ~94 rating; ~7.6 ypa; ~12.3 ypa

QB 2: ~92 rating; ~7.5 ypa; ~12.0 ypa

QB 3: ~94 rating; ~7.9 ypa; ~13.2 ypa

Do tell

OILERMAN   

We were trying to keep it shorter but there was something I wanted to mention.....

going into Locker’s 4th season we had the MCM guy(?) on the podcast, he basically laughed at the notion of Locker not being at good QB. They laughed because some of us thought he might get benched for Mett. A lot of homers here said the same thing.

Superhorn, who I think is very good, wrote an article about how you couldn’t question Locker’s accuracy. Absolutely ridiculous in hindsight but he picked out some good plays and highlighted. 

The point isn’t that Maroita is Locker but how the fan base sees what they want to see and focus on the good and ignore the bad.

It's a possibility that Mariota may not work out. Mentioning Locker, who knows, maybe he'll retire suddenly and walk away from the game completely (Though it sounds like he might be too competitive for that, I hope).

However, his starting stats for his first 3 years are still greater than Drew Brees first 3 year stats as a starter. I haven't looked at the games played, missed, rosters, coaches, etc..., but this is promising to me. It's downright exciting really! Not to mention that Brees got what looks like a redshirt year. 

I've not looked into other superstar QBs stats yet either to see if Brees is an anomaly. But given the tumultuous start and the promise I've seen, I'm still high on Mariota. If the issues from this preseason are still present this time next year, then I will definitely have a different opinion.

I believe the QBs Lafleur has worked with have seen success under his tutelage for a reason and I'm really excited to see what he can do for Mariota. However, I don't know if he's been able to work with Mariota on too much at the moment outside of teaching him a new offense.

He'll make mistakes, he'll have ups and downs, he'll lose some games even. What quarterback hasn't? But I'm willing to bet in the long run that he'll win even more.