Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TitansGuru

New Feature Trial: Automatic Moderation

I am going to put this out as a trial, knowing full well there is potential for abuse.

We have always been about letting the members of this community help steer it. Usually in ways I agree with, but not always. In this spirit, I am going to allow for you all to have a piece in moderating its content.

So, how does it work?

When you see something that doesn't belong here, you may report it. This is nothing new, but what happens next is where this feature happens. When you go to report a post, you will be given several options to choose from. This will assign the report to a category from a list that has been created based on past reports:

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 1.48.00 PM.png

Right now these categories are limited to spam, hate speech, fake news, piracy, and threats. We should not have too many of these categories based on what happens behind the scenes to make this feature work. I think most of the problems will fit under here, but there is also an option to write something in.

For the predefined categories, once a post reaches a minimum threshold of reports (I am purposely withholding some details here to not enable abuse of the system) it will automatically be hidden. The moderation team and I will also get notifications for these reports as we always have.

If something has been hidden, it will be reviewed for abuse of the feature and be left hidden or set back to visible. Every report, regardless of whether or not it triggers this feature is logged, and those who abuse the system will be blocked from participating in it.

The following actions are among those that qualify as abuse of the feature:

1. Repeated reporting non-violations.
  2. Maliciously targeting a user with the feature.
  3. Reporting from different accounts to game the feature. (Brigading with sock puppet accounts, etc.)

Thank you!