Spam Prevention (New Members)

TitansGuru

Since we've seen an uptick in spam registrations and a severe uptick in attempted spam registrations according to the log, I have implemented a new policy to help cut down on potential posts being made from the spammers:

• New registrations will be added to a "New Members" group
  • People in this "New Members" group may reply to topics but may not create new topics or report members.
  • After 24 hours, people in this group will be automatically promoted to the "Members" group, where they will have normal privileges.

Also, new registrations now require email verification. This is both to prevent spam and to prevent people from losing access to their account. By not having email verification in the past, I have had to manual reset passwords quite a bit due to people either putting in some random email they don't have access to or making a typo when entering their email, preventing them from using the lost password tool. This isn't retroactive, so if you get locked out of your account I will still help you after some verification and a wait period since I take every step to ensure that it is the correct account owner before resetting anything.

4 hours ago, TitansGuru said:
  • People in this "New Members" group may reply to topics but may not create new topics or report members.
  • After 24 hours, people in this group will be automatically promoted to the "Members" group, where they will have normal privileges.

You should keep them from starting treads for a month, plus they need some replies to post.  Just liking a post shouldn't count, unless it one of mine.  :13_upside_down:

24 minutes ago, Number9 said:

You should keep them from starting treads for a month, plus they need some replies to post.  Just liking a post shouldn't count, unless it one of mine.  :13_upside_down:

I do like the idea of making them hit a certain number of posts before threads can be started. Also a lot of forums require new members to be approved by a mod before they can start threads. Just an idea.

5 hours ago, TitansGuru said:

Since we've seen an uptick in spam registrations and a severe uptick in attempted spam registrations according to the log, I have implemented a new policy to help cut down on potential posts being made from the spammers:

Also, new registrations now require email verification. This is both to prevent spam and to prevent people from losing access to their account. By not having email verification in the past, I have had to manual reset passwords quite a bit due to people either putting in some random email they don't have access to or making a typo when entering their email, preventing them from using the lost password tool. This isn't retroactive, so if you get locked out of your account I will still help you after some verification and a wait period since I take every step to ensure that it is the correct account owner before resetting anything.

I can no longer see any thread creation buttons, and when I try to send a PM, it says I am only allowed to send 0 messages per day?

I tried logging out and back in, and tried starting from the home page and then navigating to the forum, but I am unable to see any create thread buttons for any of the forums.

I don't see any inbox messages informing me of a change in membership or anything.

The only way I can communicate on this forum is by replying to a thread or to a post, so I am doing that here in hopes of finding out what is happening.

1 minute ago, Denali said:

I can no longer see any thread creation buttons, and when I try to send a PM, it says I am only allowed to send 0 messages per day?

I tried logging out and back in, and tried starting from the home page and then navigating to the forum, but I am unable to see any create thread buttons for any of the forums.

I don't see any inbox messages informing me of a change in membership or anything.

The only way I can communicate on this forum is by replying to a thread or to a post, so I am doing that here in hopes of finding out what is happening.

Have I been banned?

2 minutes ago, Denali said:

Have I been banned?

I don't think you have been banned, if so you couldn't post.  I imagine do to some of the things you have posted, you have probably been classed as an undesirable.  

You were one of my buds back in the old days during the VY war, but man do politics change a people.

15 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I don't think you have been banned, if so you couldn't post.  I imagine do to some of the things you have posted, you have probably been classed as an undesirable.  

You were one of my buds back in the old days during the VY war, but man do politics change a people.

C'mon man.  Seriously?  You're saying they have decided that I can't create threads anymore because I am a Trump supporter??!!  Seriously??

25 minutes ago, Denali said:

You don’t see this anymore? 

19373422-D659-4FFD-9173-DEBE9DA0FD14.thumb.jpeg.7a0fe94f5d7b4b321d9f547fe92b22bb.jpeg

It could have something to do with this thread.

or this one. 

Edited by heyitsmeallen

3 minutes ago, Denali said:

C'mon man.  Seriously?  You're saying they have decided that I can't create threads anymore because I am a Trump supporter??!!  Seriously??

But I was kinda kidding because I don't post over there.  I haven't put you on ignore, so you must not be too bad.  Maybe.

7 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

You don’t see this anymore? 

19373422-D659-4FFD-9173-DEBE9DA0FD14.thumb.jpeg.7a0fe94f5d7b4b321d9f547fe92b22bb.jpeg

It could have something to do with this thread.

or this one. 

I don't see the "Start new topic" button:

34 minutes ago, Denali said:

I don't see the "Start new topic" button:

Weird. @TitansGuru I did notice that everyone is in the new members group now. Will this change after 24 hours? I’m pretty sure mine used to say contributer since I’m a patreon subscriber. 

Edited by heyitsmeallen

40 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Weird. @TitansGuru I did notice that everyone is in the new members group now. Will this change after 24 hours? I’m pretty sure mine used to say contributer since I’m a patreon subscriber. 

The spam bots have caused Guru to crack. Even as contributors we're under his strict, dictatorship rule. Write your family and tell them you love them, might never see them again.

14 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

@TitansGuru not sure if the above changes have affected other members, but currently I have lost the ability to edit my own posts or start new threads.

That’s because every time you start a thread a Titans player gets put on IR. Guru is just protecting the team ?