Sign in to follow this  
Legaltitan

Paul Manafort Trial starting right now

Here's what I don't get. The same folks that cry "Drain the Swamp!" are cheering for Manafort here.

Manafort is about as swampy as it gets. The guy has made millions off of the swamp and his connections from the swamp, and then used those swampy connections to make tens of millions selling out his country for some two-bit dictator.

Isn't this the kind of people folks want to see locked up? Mueller is your biggest champion if you want to clean out the swamp.

BTW, this potential for jury nullification is emblematic of why that visual imagery of the ostrich skin jacket is effective.

If there is someone on that jury planning to hand the whole thing to stick it to Mueller or whatever, I think it is a very good idea to point out why the jury should not be sympathetic to Manafort. Make sure they know that he is in no way shape or form one of them. Or even like what they think of when they think of Trump.

In an otherwise very boring trial, the one thing everyone has remembered and talked about is that fucking ostrich skin jacket. Imagery works. It is the trial lawyer's most effective tool. The fucking guy sold himself out and violated the law for the ability to wear ostrich skin jackets.

22 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

It is hard to believe that some guy who worries about getting audited by the IRS if he claims $1,000 worth of phony deductions would go to the mat for a fraudster and money launderer, but that shit does happen.

Some people do have morals and are able to see the bigger picture, unlike yourself.

3 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

BTW, this potential for jury nullification is emblematic of why that visual imagery of the ostrich skin jacket is effective.

If there is someone on that jury planning to hand the whole thing to stick it to Mueller or whatever, I think it is a very good idea to point out why the jury should not be sympathetic to Manafort. Make sure they know that he is in no way shape or form one of them. Or even like what they think of when they think of Trump.

In an otherwise very boring trial, the one thing everyone has remembered and talked about is that fucking ostrich skin jacket. Imagery works. It is the trial lawyer's most effective tool. The fucking guy sold himself out and violated the law for the ability to wear ostrich skin jackets.

What did the judge say about the ridiculous attempt by the prosecution to use the ostrich jacket? You always leave that out. 

13 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Here's what I don't get. The same folks that cry "Drain the Swamp!" are cheering for Manafort here.

Manafort is about as swampy as it gets. The guy has made millions off of the swamp and his connections from the swamp, and then used those swampy connections to make tens of millions selling out his country for some two-bit dictator.

Isn't this the kind of people folks want to see locked up? Mueller is your biggest champion if you want to clean out the swamp.

Virtually no one thinks Manafort is innocent. However, the swamp has had years to prosecute this case and they didn't. Not until he became part of the Trump campaign and this case could be used to squeeze him. It is the type of political prosecution that should be repugnant to anyone who values civil liberties and proper govt. 

Edited by ben4titans

Mythos27   
13 minutes ago, ben4titans said:

Virtually no one thinks Manafort is innocent. However, the swamp has had years to prosecute this case and they didn't. Not until he became part of the Trump campaign and this case could be used to squeeze him. It is the type of political prosecution that should be repugnant to anyone who values civil liberties and proper govt. 

It wasn't until 2016 that Manafort tried to use his new-found influence as the manager of the Trump campaign to secure bank loans he otherwise wouldn't have been able to get by dangling offers to be a part of the Trump administration. GTFOH with that B.S. Getting away with financial crimes for years doesn't mean he should continue to get away with them. John Gotti got away with countless crimes for decades (since the 60's) as a member and later head of the Gambino crime family and it wasn't until 1992 that the feds could finally bring a solid case against him and lock his ass up. Nothing nefarious about that.

Somewhere between "swamp" and "civil liberties" I got lost there. How is prosecuting someone who "virtually no one thins is innocent" for his crimes a violation of that person's civil liberties?

What fucking difference does it make how long it took to indict him, as long as it is within the statute of limitations? Poor Manafort got to continue buying his rugs and laundering his money and playing Putin's puppet in Eastern Europe for an extra 8 years. Do people not realize how difficult these cases are to prosecute and prove?

52 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

How about just laying out facts? Here is the law and here is how he broke it. I am under the opinion that he is slime.  However, when you have to show a jacket to help prove your case, maybe it is not so air tight.

Edited by LongTimeFan

7 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Somewhere between "swamp" and "civil liberties" I got lost there. How is prosecuting someone who "virtually no one thins is innocent" for his crimes a violation of that person's civil liberties?

What fucking difference does it make how long it took to indict him, as long as it is within the statute of limitations? Poor Manafort got to continue buying his rugs and laundering his money and playing Putin's puppet in Eastern Europe for an extra 8 years. Do people not realize how difficult these cases are to prosecute and prove?

Fine, have the government bring legitimate indictments after the Mueller probe has finished and separate from it. 

Mythos27   
2 minutes ago, ben4titans said:

Fine, have the government bring legitimate indictments after the Mueller probe has finished and separate from it. 

And there it is. It isn't about Manafort, civil liberties, selective prosecution, or the charges. It's about protecting Trump from anything that might come out of Manafort's trials. It took you a while but thanks for coming clean. Nothing else to see here.

Edited by Mythos27

22 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

It wasn't until 2016 that Manafort tried to use his new-found influence as the manager of the Trump campaign to secure bank loans he otherwise wouldn't have been able to get by dangling offers to be a part of the Trump administration. 

Yeah, it's called pay for play. Welcome to DC politics. I'm all for cleaning up the swamp, which Manafort is part of, but you have to do it fairly across the board.

Trials are about storytelling. Juries expect it, and in a dry case you have to use classic storytelling and imagery to get them to pay attention. No one really wants to be on a jury. That's what the ostrich skin jacket is about. It's about storytelling, not trying to trick people or embellish. You have to give the jury a reason to care and to see the case from your side.

Mythos27   
3 minutes ago, ben4titans said:

Yeah, it's called pay for play. Welcome to DC politics. I'm all for cleaning up the swamp, which Manafort is part of, but you have to do it fairly across the board.

And with how Mueller is proceeding on Podesta it's abundantly clear that he's being plenty fair and any wrong-doing he comes across, he will address. Mueller is a fair guy but he's also a life-long republican and he's not going to let any dems get away with swampy shit he comes across either. Like most of us, Mueller has as little sympathy for dirty dems as he does for Trump and his ilk. Manafort is getting no more than what he deserves. It isn't the government's fault that he ran out of Ukranian money and had to start committing bank fraud to keep up his lavish lifestyle. As legal said, he was fortunate in the sense that he got to enjoy his ill-gotten gains far longer than he should've. Time to pay the piper and he doesn't accept ostrich skin coats as payment.

begooode   

Numbers on a page, bfd.  Visuals that cement an ostentatious lifestyle that would make a king envious, all paid for in cash; while claiming an income that could not possibly support it sounds like good, effective lawyering to me. Minimizes the chances of a hung jury (data types can focus on paper trail, while the story types get the complete picture). That’s what I want from my federal prosecutors so they convict the guilty and don’t waste my tax dollars with a potential wishy-washy jury.