9 Nines

President Trump is threatening government shut-down

reo   
4 minutes ago, begooode said:

Of course, the guy who couldn’t get a security clearance for over a year will make a great chief of staff.

Obviously couldn't find anyone else.

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Maybe the new chief of staff can help

Jared is already neck deep in legal shit. He is one of the few guys who could take the job and not be hurt any worse from it.

ctm   

Numerous republicans are leaving town, those that are left aren't even negotiating with democrats and Trump isn't showing up in the Oval office until noon.  Not a good look for keeping the government open.

reo   
17 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Jared is already neck deep in legal shit. He is one of the few guys who could take the job and not be hurt any worse from it.

My thoughts exactly.

reo   

https://politicalwire.com/2018/12/14/is-trump-about-to-fold-on-his-border-wall/

“Several different people inside the White House and on Capitol Hill tell us they are getting some signals President Trump might back a bipartisan package of spending bills to avert a government shutdown. The package — a so-called minibus — funds border security, but not the wall.”

“Make no mistake: This would be a fold from the president, and would be read as such by his base on Capitol Hill. The White House would try to sell it as a victory, of sorts, heading into the holiday.”

“It would, however, be a recognition that the math simply isn’t there for Trump as he pushes for a $5 billion border wall.”

Like a cheap suit

begooode   

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders suggested Tuesday that the White House has found an alternative way to get its requested $5 billion in funding for a US-Mexico border wall, marking a reversal from President Donald Trump's previous position.

Sanders indicated that the White House could support a compromise bill to avoid a partial government shutdown later this week. "We have other ways that we can get to that $5 billion (for a border wall)," Sanders said Tuesday morning during an interview with Fox News.

"We will work with Congress if they will make sure we get a bill passed that provides not just the funding for the wall, but there's a piece of legislation that's been pushed around that Democrats actually voted 26-5 out of committee that provides roughly $26 billion for border security including $1.6 billion for the wall," she said. "That's something that we would be able to support as a long as we can couple that with other funding resources." Sanders added: "At the end of the day, we don't want to shut down the government, we want to shut down the border."

Last week, Trump told Democratic leaders in a televised meeting he was willing to shut down the government over the border issue. "I will take the mantle of shutting down, and I'm going to shut it down for border security," Trump had said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/politics/sarah-sanders-government-shutdown-negotiations-5-billion/index.html

chair2.gif&key=9e9081b4832d754fbe2cd12b1

Justafan   

I mean, who didn't see this coming.  Trumpsters were even acting like Trump won the meeting with Pelosi and Schumer the other day.  3D Chess I tell ya!  So predictable.  

ctm   

Just over a week after President Trump forcefully suggested he'd risk a government shutdown to secure border wall funding, the White House is now signaling a retreat -- and top conservative commentators and politicians are declaring that the president's "gutless" move has not only broken a campaign promise, but also undermined his credibility as a dealmaker.

"Well, I’m not going to sugarcoat it," conservative commentator Michelle Malkin told "Fox & Friends" on Wednesday. "I’m not going to spin it. I wish I could but I can’t. This is a cave. This was a blink."

House Freedom Caucus chairman Mark Meadows, R-N.C., said the move was a "Christmas present" and a "Valentine's Day gift" to Democrats.

"Punting to Feb. 8 on a CR not only gives Democrats a Christmas present, it offers them a Valentine’s Day gift," Meadows wrote. "Democrats will win, the wall will not be built, and Congress will once again have punted when we should’ve been taking a stand. The time to fight is now. Zero excuse."

And Ohio Republican Rep. Jim Jordan suggested the delay would only hurt Republicans' chances of seeing the wall funded.

But conservative commentator Ann Coulter wasn't buying those explanations, telling The Daily Caller that if no border wall funding is secured, “Trump will just have been a joke presidency who scammed the American people, amused the populists for a while, but he’ll have no legacy whatsoever."

Coulter, one of the few commentators to correctly predict Trump's rise to the presidency early in the 2016 presidential primary season, suggested "no Republican will ever be elected president again" if Trump ultimately backs down.

In a column Wednesday, conservative pundit Ben Shaprio similarly characterized Trump's' apparent capitulation as "gutless."

"This marks a serious shift from the escalating tenor of President Trump’s statements on the issue," Shapiro wrote.

"It’s a pretty gutless move for the administration to back down from a fight over the wall after revving up Republicans for precisely that fight – especially since back in January, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer was forced to back down from his own shutdown attempt while trying to push President Trump to grant amnesty to so-called DREAMers," Shapiro continued.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/conservatives-voice-frustration-after-trump-signals-gutless-retreat-on-border-wall/ar-BBRce3A?ocid=spartandhp