9 Nines

President Trump is threatening government shut-down

https://politicalwire.com/2019/01/14/trump-suggests-he-wont-declare-national-emergency/

HE rules out declaring a National Emergency.  This is hilarious. This guy is such a horrible deal maker.  Let's follow the timeline here a bit:

• He tells everyone that he'll own the shutdown (starts at a place with no leverage and gives dems no reason to negotiate). 
  • Pressure heats up and he seeks for leverage so he brings up the State of Emergency option. 
  • Starts using it as a club, creates some dramatic theatre around it; trying to bully people to do what he says as he looks for leverage- (giving dems no reason to negotiate). 
  • His own party says - hey. We're getting a beating here. How about we just end the shut down and you use that Emergency card.  -  proving he undercut any negotiating power the GOP had and actually made it worse. 
  • So he then declares he' won't declare an emergency so he can' keep the GOP lined up. 

That's a crazy bit of incompetence.  The only way this shutdown ends, is if the GOP takes enough of a beating that they over rule Trump.   He's making his own party split against him.  All dems have to do is sit back and hang himself.  

Should be interesting to see how he spins this when he realizes the GOP will cave and he will be overruled.  He'll do some type of quick messaging turn around. 

What he is enjoying is political theater of him wielding presidential power.   He's getting all the attention and its all just theater.     

9 Nines   

Is this the acting attorney general from five years ago when he was in leadership of a white supremacist group?

acceb322785d26932ccea77b9065c13b

Edited by 9 Nines

ctm   

A security checkpoint to Terminal B remains closed at Bush Intercontinental Airport on Monday morning because of low staffing associated with the government shutdown.

Houston Airport System spokesman Bill Begley blamed “staffing issues” for the decision Transportation Security Administration made at 3:30 p.m. Sunday to close the checkpoint through Monday morning, at the earliest.

The TSA recorded a nationwide rate of unscheduled absences at 7.7 percent Sunday morning, up from 3.2 percent a year ago, the agency said.

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/TSA-closes-security-checkpoint-at-IAH-Terminal-B-13530619.php

Atlanta, GA (CBS46/AP) The government shutdown is being felt by passengers at Hartsfield Jackson International Airport in Atlanta as many are reporting long lines at security checkpoints.

Several passengers say it's taking at least one hour to get through some of the checkpoints and some lines may be even longer.

https://www.cbs46.com/news/long-lines-for-security-at-hartsfield-jackson-airport-blamed-on/article_ae7aa63c-180a-11e9-8ec9-5b654babaac8.html

begooode   

Almost two-thirds of voters support a Democratic proposal to reopen shuttered parts of the federal government while allowing more time for negotiations on President Trump's proposed border wall, according to a new survey.

The Quinnipiac University National Poll, released on Monday, found that 63 percent of respondents backed "opening the parts of the government that have nothing to do with border security while continuing to negotiate funding for the wall." Thirty percent of voters opposed the plan,....

,...Eighty-six percent of Democratic poll respondents supported the shutdown-ending plan in the Quinnipiac poll, compared with 39 percent of Republicans. The approach garnered backing from 65 percent of independents.

Trump on Monday rejected a similar proposal to temporarily fully reopen the government while wall negotiations continue.  “I’m not interested. I want to get it solved. I don’t want to just delay it. I want to get it solved,” he said when asked about Sen. Lindsey Graham’s (R-S.C.) suggestion that Trump sign a stopgap spending bill.

The poll also found that 56 percent of voters blame Trump and congressional Republicans for the shutdown. Thirty-six percent pointed the finger at Democrats on Capitol Hill.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/425251-poll-nearly-two-thirds-of-americans-back-dem-plan-to-end

I wanted to disagree, but Reo may be right. The wall may be custard's last stand for Trump. I mean there is a non-zero chance the shutdown doesn't end without Trump leaving office.

1 minute ago, Legaltitan said:

I wanted to disagree, but Reo may be right. The wall may be custard's last stand for Trump. I mean there is a non-zero chance the shutdown doesn't end without Trump leaving office.

I have to think eventually the GOP will start to move without him. He'll realize and spin that he got something out of it.  He's already saying he never really thought Mexico would pay for the wall.  He'll push and bully for as long as he thinks its good political theater. Then he'll spin the other way and make ending the shutdown something he did.  

Its la la land in DC right now.   

9 Nines   

Ivanka and Melania Trump vowed to not have plastic surgery until the shutdown is over but it was reported that Melania had her fingers crossed when she made the vow and so did Jared when Ivanka made it. 

ctm   
3 minutes ago, Omar said:

It is past time for Putin to put and end to this shutdown. 

😁😀😁  but seriously, this shut down is on Fox news, Rush, and Ann Coulter.  They are the ones who goaded this fool into doing it.  They need to come up with some political cover for him to end it.  It's either that or the political pain for Trump and senate republicans has to increase.  The pain isn't there yet, but that day is coming.  The government can't stay shut down forever.

begooode   

Yeah, talk about ‘show bills’.  I guess it’s free-riding publicity to the base. Good thing they’re focused on getting this government shutdown sorted out.

A Republican Montana state senator and Republican delegates from West Virginia plan to introduce measures to allocate state funds to help build President Donald Trump's proposed wall along the southern US border. 

Republican Montana state Sen. Scott Sales confirmed to CNN on Tuesday that he will propose a bill that would allocate $8 million in state funds to help build Trump's border wall.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/15/politics/gop-state-lawmakers-trump-border-wall/index.html